The Emperor tries on Regents New er third hand "New" Clothes - Yes an Explorer review

Hello sweets

DSC00499-XL.jpg

Key lime pie - it could have been a bit more on the tart side for my taste.

DSC00500-XL.jpg

Overall I enjoyed Prime 7 more on Explorer than Voyager. For starters on Explorer there's no open kitchen so no burning grease smell like I experienced on Voyager. Secondly portion sizes for the most part weren't at the level of "overloaded Vegas buffet plate" and most importantly service here seemed more polished.

This was my first experience with Regents new(er/ish?) wine lists. In a refreshing change from Seabourn they seem to understand that Napa Valley and indeed most California wines have a far different taste from those of the old world (probably why even a neophyte oenophile can tell you the difference between and old world and new world wine). It was nice to be able to select either an old world or new world wine.

Knowing the Emperor's dry commenting style which seems to go straight over the heads of many of his readers, I had initially thought he was very brave to post another review on the Regent board.

However, in reading so far it's clear already that there will be lots more criticism of, and negativity about Seabourn in his review in favour of Regent so that will be a huge crowd pleaser for the Regent board. ;)

Was going to wish you luck EN but your SB criticisms will have already won you plenty of fans here so you won't need it!:D

Save

Emperor Norton:

Really nice review and great pics! Love your style and sense of humor. What's the name of the bar shown in your first pic where you had a Guinness? I ask because, if it's in SF, we will be there next May and may have to get some precruise medication.

Z and TB

Internet question---

Emperor's comments about the Internet not being fully up to speed prompted me to do a little research. Apparently Regent's "unlimited free internet" on Seven Seas Explorer means unlimited free internet with one log-in per cabin. Does anyone know the price to purchase another?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Internet question---

Emperor's comments about the Internet not being fully up to speed prompted me to do a little research. Apparently Regent's "unlimited free internet" on Seven Seas Explorer means unlimited free internet with one log-in per cabin. Does anyone know the price to purchase another?

Correct, 1 login per suite unless you are Seven Seas Society Gold or above which provides a login per person. No idea of what they'll charge for a second login. Understand that one login doesn't mean one device...just one device at a time.

Edited by Portolan

Emperor Norton: I too prefer my Key Lime pie to be on the tart side but too often find it to be too sweet. My remedy? Ask for a wedge of lime and squeeze a little a a time on the pie until it tastes as tart as you like it.

Fresh lime juice (or lemon juice, if lime is unavailable) is also a perfect addition to fresh crab and crab cakes, calamari, shrimp, smoked salmon/lox (delicious on smoked salmon Eggs Benedict) and other fish, and of course fish tacos and ceviche (which of course is made with lime juice and fish as the key ingredients). Also on crepes and other thin pancakes, with a little powdered sugar. (And if you never had a Pisco Sour you should try one...)

Also, a little lime or lemon juice a healthy alternative to adding salt on chicken and even skirt steak...

Emperor, how was the smoky tomato soup in P7 and, is this something you order or is it just delivered like the Foie Gras sliders are? BTW, the Foie Gras sliders have grown and look particularly yummy.

JPR, thank you for the "lime" suggestion and its many uses. Will definitely try that in November when we are back on Regent. I tend to forget about Pisco Sours - will write a note and put it in my luggage so that I remember to order one (or two or three:-).

I love key lime pie but it is very rarely on the menu in restaurants in London. I therefore have to take my fill when onboard Regent. To add to the list. Papaya with a couple of drops of fresh lime juice is very delicious, particularly at breakfast.

Edited by eliana

Off topic, but since we're talking lime and it's virtues....

I love to order "specialty" cocktails and unfortunately they're too sweet most of the time. I fix that by asking for a WEDGE of lime on the side....a simple round or sliver isn't enough. I happily take my wedge and squeeze away, adding more or less to taste....usually more! One can never have enough lime, and it's that healthy citrus, right? (giggle!)

Off topic, but since we're talking lime and it's virtues....

I love to order "specialty" cocktails and unfortunately they're too sweet most of the time. I fix that by asking for a WEDGE of lime on the side....a simple round or sliver isn't enough. I happily take my wedge and squeeze away, adding more or less to taste....usually more! One can never have enough lime, and it's that healthy citrus, right? (giggle!)

You are right on the money. I love my drinks on the sour side especially a good Margarita.

Z and TB

Emperor Norton:

Really nice review and great pics! Love your style and sense of humor. What's the name of the bar shown in your first pic where you had a Guinness? I ask because, if it's in SF, we will be there next May and may have to get some precruise medication.

Z and TB

That would be the Buena Vista Cafe, also a good place to get an Irish Coffee I hear;)

You are right on the money. I love my drinks on the sour side especially a good Margarita.

Z and TB

Hey Z, I like my "little pink drinks " on the sweet side!!;);)

With a touch of sour!

Miss you guys!!

K & J

The last photograph in post #23 appears to be the P7 dining room, is that correct? The chairs look very awkward and possibly uncomfortable. How was the seating for you?

Once seated I found the chairs fine. Relocating them can be a bit of a pain however.

Emperor Norton: And if you never had a Pisco Sour you should try one...

Just looked this cocktail up on Google and it sounds delicious! Are the bars on Regent ships able to make this? Or will I get a blank stare when trying to order it?

Just looked this cocktail up on Google and it sounds delicious! Are the bars on Regent ships able to make this? Or will I get a blank stare when trying to order it?

I have never had a pics sour on a regent ship, but have had one on a regent cruise that included Peru. Since a key ingredient is Pisco, they may not have that. But I love a sour mojito.

I didn't see any Pisco on board. The only liquor from South America I saw was Cachaca which is a rum-like liquor from Brazil used to make the caipirinha which can be similar to a mojito.

That would be the Buena Vista Cafe, also a good place to get an Irish Coffee I hear;)

Thank you! Been there and will definitely return just to have a Guinness.

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1

Correct, 1 login per suite unless you are Seven Seas Society Gold or above which provides a login per person. No idea of what they'll charge for a second login. Understand that one login doesn't mean one device...just one device at a time.

FWIW, the unlimited internet used to be a SSS Silver perk, then when it was moved to Gold, those of us who were Silver were grandfathered. We won't hit Gold until next August (hopefully) and even though we were still Silver on our last cruise, we had two logins.

Not sure when the benefit changed, but we were silver in 2010 or 2011, I think, so anyone who was Silver before the change to Gold should get multiple logins, too.

I didn't see any Pisco on board. The only liquor from South America I saw was Cachaca which is a rum-like liquor from Brazil used to make the caipirinha which can be similar to a mojito.

A caipirinha is not really similar to a mojito, btw. It's a short drink, whereas the mojito is a long drink, i.e., completed with soda water. A caipirinha is wonderful, but difficult to make--you need to muddle the limes thoroughly, which is tough to ask a bartender to do (outside of Brazil of course, where they are ubiquitous). Muddling mint is a lot easier. I make a really good caipirinha, btw.

I'm looking forward to trying a pisco sour in Lima next February when we get off Mariner!

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer