Prices Too High

mcrcruiser

Yes. Our AQ was a bit shabby. Also, bathroom grout in shower was grubby. Fortunately, the service of the gracious crew members help make up for the shortfall. And, the drink package, LOL.

Marie

What category of AQ were you in? Was it a newer AQ! on the top deck?

CruisingChick - What about you? What category staterooms had all the problems?

We cruise out on the Summit in a little over a week. :(

rkaratsu - Sounds like you did get a good deal! For this same cruise, (we booked back in March of 2015), we booked an A1 for $3099pp before taxes and port. Includes Beverage, Gratuity and $300 OBC.

"Prices too high" is totally subjective. Yes - they might be too high for you. Take your business elsewhere. As long as X can sell cabins for this price, it's not too high for them and rightfully so. They're in business to make money.

Edited by florisdekort

Yes, too high

Paid 1500$(Oceanview) on a 11 day Med cruise in August (Constellation). Had 450$OBC, drink package and prepaid gratuities also.

Looking for a 7 day Carribean Cruise this January. More expensive, no OBC, no prepaid gratuities (and hotels in FLL or MIA not worth what they're asking for)

Staying home :-)

"Prices too high" is totally subjective. Yes - they might be too high for you. Take your business elsewhere. As long as X can sell cabins for this price, it's not too high for them and rightfully so. They're in business to make money.

Just try to get a Suite, especially Celebrity or higher. The price seems to be no object for those who want them and there appear to be lots of takers. As you say: "They're in business to make money". They don't care who cruises with them only that enough people do to fill the ships at the best price for them. Things can change, but right now they're doing fine.

Haven't been on too many cruises "PACKED WITH KIDS AND DRUNK ADULTS", but do enjoy spending 10 or more days relaxing and seeing more than one "paradise" during the course of my vacation.

Looks like a great place and as always to each his own.

bosco

Queensland is packed with things to - Great Barrier Reef, amazing beaches, safe wonderful towns, fantastic seafood, rain forests, no worries here to keep you busy. And your comparison was to a Caribbean cruise so not much diversity in Ports there

Edited by Cruise Junky

Just try to get a Suite, especially Celebrity or higher. The price seems to be no object for those who want them and there appear to be lots of takers. As you say: "They're in business to make money". They don't care who cruises with them only that enough people do to fill the ships at the best price for them. Things can change, but right now they're doing fine.

Yes, I've noticed that. I've stayed in the penthouse and a royal suite, but that was before all the Luminae, free drink packages, etc. hoo ha. Michael's Club was operational when I was in the penthouse and that was great. Will see how this suite experience is with everything. I booked early before the prices went berserk on this cruise.

Wonder if they think Modern Luxury equates to these crazy prices or do they want to remake themselves & become another high priced premium cruise line ,like Oceania :rolleyes:

I opened a travel magazine a few days ago and the double page Celebrity ad states " IF IT WERE SERIOUSLY INEXPENSIVE, WE COULDN'T CALL IT MODERN LUXURY".

i sure wasn't impressed with the ad but it looks like they think overpriced and expensive is what's going to make people think its modern luxury. :eek:

Why on these threads are there posters who feel the need to state the obvious - that Celebrity is a business and they are in the business to make money. Do we not all know that??? That isn't the point. No one really needs to be educated about what a business is.

The point is that many believe that what they are charging these days is out of line with the product being offered. I am one of them, although I search for good deals and also sometimes will book anyway just because I prefer Celebrity to other non-luxury lines. We all know full well that if they can fill ships at those price points they will continue. That doesn't mean we have to like it, or that we haven't noticed that the 'sales' aren't really sales - just more creative and obtuse ways of pricing. Like all businesses they will suck as much money out of their customers as they can. Make other vacation choices? Of course we can, and often do. But if you want to cruise, and cannot afford a luxury line, then you pick the best of what you can afford. For us that remains Celebrity, but the price increases are significant and noticeable - especially the last couple of years.

B2B2B on Celebrity Millennium... 4 nights on 5 October $179pp... 7 nights on 9 October $309pp... 14 nights on 16 October $824pp... a total of 25 nights for $1312pp :cool:

B2B on Celebrity Infinity... 12 nights on 25 September $719pp... 16 nights on October 7 $799pp... a total of 28 nights for $1518pp

Celebrity Equinox... 13 nights on October 25th... for $695pp :)

Celebrity Eclipse... 15 nights on October 29th... for $905pp

Celebrity Constellation... 14 nights on November 14th... for $705pp

Celebrity Infinity... 14 nights on December 9th... for $689pp. :D

I almost NEVER seem to have any trouble finding PLENTY of great deals... it took less than three minutes to find ALL of these.

There are LOTS more on Princess and RCCL as well. ;)

Edited by teecee60

B2B2B on Celebrity Millennium... 4 nights on 5 October $179pp... 7 nights on 9 October $309pp... 14 nights on 16 October $824pp... a total of 25 nights for $1312pp :cool:

B2B on Celebrity Infinity... 12 nights on 25 September $719pp... 16 nights on October 7 $799pp... a total of 28 nights for $1518pp

I almost NEVER seem to have any trouble finding PLENTY of great deals... it took less than three minutes to find ALL of these.

What category of cabins are you quoting those prices ?

Cliff -- two years ago, I had four count-down clocks going, and now I have none. Well, except for my 2018 Smooth Jazz Cruise charter, on Summmit. And, while that will be quite expensive, I have a pretty good idea of what I'm paying for (and why).

My problem with the "Go Big" pricing scheme, and the frequent "SALES" is that it just all seems like one big shell game. I do believe, however, that there are some good deals to be found, for those who are watching for them. And, not to throw X under the bus, as other cruise lines do the same thing -- and have, for years. I remember RC raising prices across the board, and then announcing a big sale. (sound familiar?)

I'm completely aware that this is a supply-and-demand situation. As long as X can fill their ships, while charging ever-higher prices, they will continue to do so. In the meantime, I'll be watching the "Xciting Deals" for spring offerings from the West Coast. Ciff, you might want to keep an eye out for those, too! :)

Suzanne We too have the PDF file for the special Celebrity price deals .

We are doing the Infiniti May 17,2017 coastal cruise SD to Vancouver & we got a fair price because Celebrity gave us a extra $600 off the balcony & a extra $200 OBC .Those extras were given because of prior cruise problem with the infirmary . The TA gave us $285 OBC & we got ppd gratuities .

This will be our last cruise where we have to fly even one way from Vancouver back to SD . After 78 cruises & lots of flying ,we are at that point where we care not to fly . Yes we can sail Princess & Holland from 2 ports ,San Pedro & SD . Both ports we can drive to;)

We won't pay those Celebrity very high prices either. They try to get what they can from early high prices ;but ,we all know that there are lots of returned cabins to Celebrity from their TAs after final payment & that is the time to get much better pricing , by booking after final payment ,for those that can take advantage ;)

Queensland is packed with things to - Great Barrier Reef, amazing beaches, safe wonderful towns, fantastic seafood, rain forests, no worries here to keep you busy. And your comparison was to a Caribbean cruise so not much diversity in Ports there

cj - Not so much diversity in the Caribbean? Maybe not from where you are viewing the islands, I can categorically state there is a great deal of diversity there.

That is, unless I Am missing something in the statement? Please elaborate further.

You may not have experienced it, yet many others as myself, have and continue to.

bon voyage

Why on these threads are there posters who feel the need to state the obvious - that Celebrity is a business and they are in the business to make money. Do we not all know that??? That isn't the point. No one really needs to be educated about what a business is.

The point is that many believe that what they are charging these days is out of line with the product being offered. I am one of them, although I search for good deals and also sometimes will book anyway just because I prefer Celebrity to other non-luxury lines. We all know full well that if they can fill ships at those price points they will continue. That doesn't mean we have to like it, or that we haven't noticed that the 'sales' aren't really sales - just more creative and obtuse ways of pricing. Like all businesses they will suck as much money out of their customers as they can. Make other vacation choices? Of course we can, and often do. But if you want to cruise, and cannot afford a luxury line, then you pick the best of what you can afford. For us that remains Celebrity, but the price increases are significant and noticeable - especially the last couple of years.

Good point pd, then my question would be, what is the reason that those whose point is 'the cost' will continue to complain about the cost and not tell us where they are cruising where they like the cost?

When we decide in a particular year that X's prices are too high, we postpone to the following year and are happy to do so.

For us, pricing, is pricing, is pricing, not unlike retail shops and grocery stores etc... one makes a habit to shop where they like to shop and not worry about it, for the most part. Weekly, prices change and we accept this accordingly.

I Am sure most who complain about X's pricing and strategies to fill cabin space do not often complain about their local shopping center doing the same thing to any great degree or is it the price point which compels one to complain?

If the price many of us pay is out of line for the market, I in many cases, will pass and move on to a market more in line with what I want to pay and the quality I expect to receive. If I do not receive value for $ spent, then I rarely return for more. No need to be upset by it all, vote with your $!

This is an 'education' which I learned and apply frequently, almost daily.

bon voyage...

cj - Not so much diversity in the Caribbean? Maybe not from where you are viewing the islands, I can categorically state there is a great deal of diversity there.

That is, unless I Am missing something in the statement? Please elaborate further.

You may not have experienced it, yet many others as myself, have and continue to.

bon voyage

The poster was equating Queensland to staying in one place vs the diversity of an average Celebrity 10 day cruise. Yes, some islands are very different but most that you find on a 10 day cruise just vary the opening times of Diamonds International. Not saying the Caribbean itself doesn't have diversity.

If you can do inside: $229 FL resident and Senior rate for October 23rd 4 day Bahama cruise. There are bargains out there if you are willing to compromise.

I agree if you are a Floridian and can drive to port the last minute deals are great. Sometimes it's less expensive to cruise than to stay home. However for those of us in the Northeast or other parts of the world it's just not worth flying down for a 4 day cruise. I have family living in Florida they book cruises 2 weeks before sailing. Unfortunately most of us don't have that flexibility. I also think they get the residents rate because when I search the same cruise my rate is more than what they pay. Last year when we were visiting them in fall the Princess vacation planner called them to see if they were interested in a cruise only a week out. I think the rate was $299 pp for an inside for 7 days.

The poster was equating Queensland to staying in one place vs the diversity of an average Celebrity 10 day cruise. Yes, some islands are very different but most that you find on a 10 day cruise just vary the opening times of Diamonds International. Not saying the Caribbean itself doesn't have diversity.

Diamonds International? What store(s) is(are) that(they)? I have been on three (3) X Caribbean sailings and do not know that one...????

Thank you for the clarification of the OP meaning.

bon voyage

I opened a travel magazine a few days ago and the double page Celebrity ad states " IF IT WERE SERIOUSLY INEXPENSIVE, WE COULDN'T CALL IT MODERN LUXURY".

i sure wasn't impressed with the ad but it looks like they think overpriced and expensive is what's going to make people think its modern luxury. :eek:

The general public has been trained by Madison Avenue Executives that by paying more you will achieve luxury and status. The problem arrises when the product doesn't deliver.

There will always be last minute deals. However is you have a job and need to plan vacation time you have to book before final payment. Also the weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas have always been the slowest period for vacations. I would also guess that those of us still in the working world wouldn't have 2 weeks vacation time left by the 4th quarter. Those 14 day cruises are priced that low for a reason.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I agree if you are a Floridian and can drive to port the last minute deals are great. Sometimes it's less expensive to cruise than to stay home. However for those of us in the Northeast or other parts of the world it's just not worth flying down for a 4 day cruise. I have family living in Florida they book cruises 2 weeks before sailing. Unfortunately most of us don't have that flexibility. I also think they get the residents rate because when I search the same cruise my rate is more than what they pay. Last year when we were visiting them in fall the Princess vacation planner called them to see if they were interested in a cruise only a week out. I think the rate was $299 pp for an inside for 7 days.

You raise some good points. Certainly advantage if you live within a short distance from a port. Four days is very short for one to pay to fly and an overnight stay. I wouldn't be tempted unless there was a longer cruise right before or after. I've noticed that when a price break happens there is usually a very expensive cruise that surrounds the bargain cruise.

That is true if all you do is walk off the ship and hit the nearest shopping center. The opening times of Diamond's and the changing names of the island printed on the same pirate themed refrigerator magnets does get boring. LOL

We've done the Caribbean at least once a year since 2001 and find that almost every island does change from year to year.

Almost each island offers something different and includes many if not all of the things you mentioned about your Queensland location.

Sometimes it is also nice to visit a few familiar places that don't change and visit a bar or restaurant that has memories and people that you have known for years.

Cruise or an island based vacation, each offers a lot that is both different and the same.

I guess its the "just something" about the ocean, the ship and the entire experience that keeps us returning year after year. It may be we are in a rut, but we really enjoy a few days in Florida pre-cruise and a day or two after a 10-12 day Winter get away from the upstate NY cold weather. We prefer cruises from NY / NJ in the Winter but Celebrity seems to have cleaned their slate as far as that goes.

Happy vacation no matter what.

bosco

CruisingChick - What about you? What category staterooms had all the problems?

We do mostly Insides or Oceanviews Cabins. On this past cruise there were at least 2 staterooms on deck 3 (both Oceanview Cabins) that had such bad leaks they had to remove the carpets and use dehumidifers and turn the water off for a few hours to fix the problem. Luckily our cabin wasn't affected but we walked by the cabins that were.

I kept waiting for our toilet to stop flushing on this trip, but luckily we did not have that problem this time around.

Diamonds International? What store(s) is(are) that(they)? I have been on three (3) X Caribbean sailings and do not know that one...????

Thank you for the clarification of the OP meaning.

bon voyage

Ha...DI is in almost every port...pushed heavily by Cruiselines...esp Cekeb and Royal C..The port guides handouts used to have much better maps, info about the ports...history, culture, geography, etc. Now all about shopping in their "preferred"stores...

Yes, too high

Paid 1500$(Oceanview) on a 11 day Med cruise in August (Constellation). Had 450$OBC, drink package and prepaid gratuities also.

Looking for a 7 day Carribean Cruise this January. More expensive, no OBC, no prepaid gratuities (and hotels in FLL or MIA not worth what they're asking for)

Staying home :-)

My TA has a January sailing for 1099 in a 1b cabin with obc and free gratuity on top of the 1 perk. We got more obc because we booked when they had 2 perks and an additional 100 obc from

Celebrity, but is still a pretty decent price me think.