Uh-Oh...Hoping this Room Service Breakfast Menu change is not going fleet wide?

kazu

Other cruise lines have adopted this too. The last time I cruised Royal Caribbean, they had two room service breakfast menus. One very limited, and one w/ the usual entrees. I wondered if they have different room service menus depending on category. I asked our steward for the expanded menu, and he provided it.

We had what we think was the old room service menu in our VS on Rotterdam last August.

That nice room service is one of the reason we're making the switch to HAL.

What's VER,OCV and INS (in the lower left corner) mean?

I agree that it probably does mean veranda/ocean view/inside. But the front says "delivered to your suite." There are no inside or OV suites, so this is very confusing.

We were just on Zuiderdam in a NS and had the old menu (with the free mimosa option). From what I saw hanging on doors of inside cabins, they were still getting the old room service menu.

I think most of us accept the plated dinners as they come. You order the steak, you get the veg and starch that go with it. You order the chicken and get the veg and starch that go with that. But breakfast is something about which people have definite preferences. First thing in the day, you really want what you want. The old menu let you have it. This new one is too pre-structured. It may be "made to order" but it looks like they're streamlining the process in the kitchen by limiting what you can order.

I'm not trying to be a cheerleader or make excuses, but maybe the high demand for room service breakfasts has caused them to narrow the choices in order to get things out on time? Just a guess.

I agree that it probably does mean veranda/ocean view/inside. But the front says "delivered to your suite." There are no inside or OV suites, so this is very confusing.

My guess is that on the S & R Class (and possibly the K-dam as well) that while the Vista Suites are labelled a "suite" is that for room service purposes they are classifying them as Verandahs to better align with the rest of the fleet where Signature/Neptune and Pinnacle suites will have the expanded menus.

The new menu does seem to be designed to streamline the room service production/delivery stream and will allow much less variation, and therefore less potential for incorrect orders, or staff making additional runs for missing items. It may also cut down on the number of room service orders resulting in less staff needed to run the food who can be then be reallocated to the Lido or MDR perhaps (being optimistic here).

For those who would switch to another cruise line over the room service breakfast, I have to inquire - where do you go? Would the additional fare of Oceania, which would be the next logical step, be worth it just for room service?

Not Oceania, at least based on my (admittedly limited) experience.

I had what is probably the equivalent of a veranda cabin on Oceania; there are several higher level cabins on that line. I was not able to get a hot, full, room service breakfast on the last morning (didn't try the other mornings), even in that level and that price point.

Only continental breakfast.

I seldom order room service breakfast preferring to go to the Lido as I am an early riser. However, I do not like this menu at all. On the Amsterdam, in August we had the old menu with lots of choices. I don't know if Mary Ann and Bill on their current blog have mentioned this new room service menu as they prefer to eat breakfast in the MDR - I'll go back and look.

Just had a funny thought :). On our last few HAL cruises we generally did not order room service breakfast because we did not want to have our breakfast mixed with cigarette (or cigar) smoke on our balcony. So now that HAL finally eliminates the smoke, they also screw up the menu! Go figure :). But, we will accept the lesser breakfast menu...given that we will now be able to enjoy it with fresh sea air.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We enjoyed a few room-service breakfast when we had early tours in port while on the Volendam in February. They were perfectly done and delivered on time. I hope this new menu is not going to be implemented when we sail on the Volendam again next month.

It says on the menu that it is for suites. Have the suites always had a different menu than the regular breakfast menu?

No, Room Service menu has always been the same on the ship whether you are in a Suite or any other cabin.

I didn't notice that, but since it is for suites, mimosas are supposed to be complimentary. Good eyes Cruise_More !

Not Oceania, at least based on my (admittedly limited) experience.

I had what is probably the equivalent of a veranda cabin on Oceania; there are several higher level cabins on that line. I was not able to get a hot, full, room service breakfast on the last morning (didn't try the other mornings), even in that level and that price point.

Only continental breakfast.

I'm with you RuthC :). We had the higher category and could get a hot breakfast. Presentation was very nice - food was awful. DH and I could not eat the eggs. (Some kind of concoction - not real eggs).

Edited by kazu

for all those who've been insisting that they would prefer to pay more for more benefits. Simply pick the surcharged items and pay for the better benefits.

That's assuming those surcharge items appeal to people of course ;). They may not appeal to many.

No, Room Service menu has always been the same on the ship whether you are in a Suite or any other cabin.

I didn't notice that, but since it is for suites, mimosas are supposed to be complimentary. Good eyes Cruise_More !

Sorry, too late to edit!

I took another look and it seems that this room service has Verandah, Ocean View and Insides inidcated. Dave (RetiredMustang) is staying in a verandah.

Probably explains the charge for the Mimosas ;).

That's assuming those surcharge items appeal to people of course ;). They may not appeal to many.

I spent 90 days in a Neptune earlier this year. I have been known to imbibe, but believe me, a Mimosa is the last thing I want to see on the tray when Room Service brings my bagel at 6:00 AM. After the first few days I began each night to write on the card, "No Mimosa, please."

Of course, but very often the cut backs many have criticized have limited appeal to others. For example, the library, priests, tai chi instructors, etc.

The point remains. There are a bunch of folks who are say they are in favor of paying more for better service or amenities but given the opportunity to pay more, they balk. So which do they want, improvements or lower fares? One might guess that they want utopia at walmart prices.

Nothing on a cruise ship is "free". It might be "included" but it is not "free". When the cruise line offers things of limited appeal such as "mimosas", everyone is paying for it. Why not make it an "extra charge" where only those who want it, pay for it?

Edited by RocketMan275

Because I hate being nickled and dimed. Just don't even charge to board then. Pay as you go. This does not only apply to food, but apply it to entertainment and other aspects. I would pay for better entertainment, I do not have that option aboard HAL...

Because I hate being nickled and dimed. Just don't even charge to board then. Pay as you go. This does not only apply to food, but apply it to entertainment and other aspects. I would pay for better entertainment, I do not have that option aboard HAL...

Have you contacted corporate and explained the improvements/changes you prefer as well as how much of an increase in fares you would be willing to pay?

Of course, but very often the cut backs many have criticized have limited appeal to others. For example, the library, priests, tai chi instructors, etc.

The point remains. There are a bunch of folks who are say they are in favor of paying more for better service or amenities but given the opportunity to pay more, they balk. So which do they want, improvements or lower fares? One might guess that they want utopia at walmart prices.

Nothing on a cruise ship is "free". It might be "included" but it is not "free". When the cruise line offers things of limited appeal such as "mimosas", everyone is paying for it. Why not make it an "extra charge" where only those who want it, pay for it?

Your examples of cutbacks are interesting. I'm not sure about the tai chi, but religious services, the library, the dance hosts do not generate revenue. Seems HAL is paraphrasing the old news mantra of "if it bleeds, it leads."

If it pays it stays.

And it isn't just HAL. It seems the industry is diverging. Some lines are cutting "free" items or charging for things that used to be included. Other high-price lines are all-inclusive or more inclusive than HAL/RC/Celeb, etc. For a long time, I've been aware of the difference in price between Cunard and HAL. I've also noticed differences in the experience onboard. Cunard wins on amount of space each passenger gets (deck space, lounges, even the space between tables in the dining room), the quality of the enrichment program, the dance hosts, the library. Those costs have to be covered somehow, and the higher price is how they do it.

As for the suite mimosas, with what they charge for NS and PS, I think those passengers have pre-paid for them.

Other cruise lines have adopted this too. The last time I cruised Royal Caribbean, they had two room service breakfast menus. One very limited, and one w/ the usual entrees. I wondered if they have different room service menus depending on category. I asked our steward for the expanded menu, and he provided it.

We had what we think was the old room service menu in our VS on Rotterdam last August.

That nice room service is one of the reason we're making the switch to HAL.

What's VER,OCV and INS (in the lower left corner) mean?

I believe it means Veranda, Oceanview and Inside.

For those who would switch to another cruise line over the room service breakfast, I have to inquire - where do you go? Would the additional fare of Oceania, which would be the next logical step, be worth it just for room service?

For me, it isn't where would I go to get the full, hot breakfast, it's a question of this service being available was a differentiation on HAL from other cruise lines. Take this away and there is another reason why HAL is the same as everyone else.

For instance, HAL has reduced the size of the cabins on the "K. Larger cabin sizes was another feature that separated HAL from its competition.

We all have our very own reasons for cruising and the reasons why we select the cruises that we do and the activities that we enjoy on the ships. When HAL makes changes to more align itself to its competition, the question of what separates HAL from the others is getting more and more difficult to answer.

Changes like this leaves me wondering why choose HAL?

Some lines are cutting "free" items or charging for things that used to be included. Other high-price lines are all-inclusive or more inclusive than HAL/RC/Celeb, etc. For a long time, I've been aware of the difference in price between Cunard and HAL. I've also noticed differences in the experience onboard. Cunard wins on amount of space each passenger gets (deck space, lounges, even the space between tables in the dining room), the quality of the enrichment program, the dance hosts, the library. Those costs have to be covered somehow, and the higher price is how they do it.

Good observations and I'd agree. The major cruise lines are banking on the fact that cruisers will continue to not mind shelling out for extras onboard the ship (even for things that used to be included) so long as the base price is kept low.

I don't happen to agree with that model. It's not a relaxing vacation for me if I am shelling out more $$ every time I turn around just to have the same kind of experience I am used to on a cruise -- which once upon a time was considered a nearly "all inclusive" type of vacation, alcohol and excursions excepted.

For those of us who feel this way, there ARE some other options. And I'm not one to keep repeating the same experience on the same line and then whine about it after. That's why six of my last seven cruises have been with specialty cruise lines. I've found a couple of these niche lines that replicate most closely the things I liked about my earlier cruising days: small ships, almost all inclusive, no specialty restaurants or special "suite only" ship areas, good enrichment programs, etc. (And, by the way, excellent libraries...)

There are of course downsides that would bother some: fewer balconies, less glitzy entertainment, no specialty restaurants. These are things that don't bother me -- in fact, they also are a part of that earlier cruising era that appeal.

I know some HAL regulars have tried other lines and returned to HAL. But for me, the things I like most are just not addressed on the mass market lines any longer -- at least, not on most ships. I'd still like to try Prinsendam....

Say.... Isn't it about time to have a thread that says "This thread is to be used for all discussions about room service?" That way, we can get the HAL board down to three to eight humongous threads that are impossible to use? :D

Gee, maybe breakfast will become the next smoking or carry aboard wine topic :)

I have friends that recently sailed Princess and if not in a suite youe choice for breakfast is Continental or a Breakfast Sandwich (which they said was cold). They didn't say if there were purchase options.

Say.... Isn't it about time to have a thread that says "This thread is to be used for all discussions about room service?" That way, we can get the HAL board down to three to eight humongous threads that are impossible to use? :D

Gee, maybe breakfast will become the next smoking or carry aboard wine topic :)

I have friends that recently sailed Princess and if not in a suite youe choice for breakfast is Continental or a Breakfast Sandwich (which they said was cold). They didn't say if there were purchase options.

LOL you two :)

I wasn't trying to start anything. I just thought this new potential menu might be of interest to a number of people ;). I wouldn't have known if I hadn't been following Dave's Live thread.

Princess is better than O then. Unless you are in a certain category, you only get continental breakfast. One of the nice things about HAL has always been it's room service breakfast menu for ALL cabins ;)

Edited by kazu

For those of us who feel this way, there ARE some other options. And I'm not one to keep repeating the same experience on the same line and then whine about it after. That's why six of my last seven cruises have been with specialty cruise lines. I've found a couple of these niche lines that replicate most closely the things I liked about my earlier cruising days: small ships, almost all inclusive, no specialty restaurants or special "suite only" ship areas, good enrichment programs, etc. (And, by the way, excellent libraries...)

Can you give examples of these cruise lines? Thanks.

The only room service we take in the morning is coffee and some fruit. On the verandah.

We would have no problem paying a surcharge for delivery, as we do in a hotel, IF it meant that the cruise line would not be cutting back on food quality and service in other areas. Same for some other amenities on cruise ships.

We would be happy to see them cut out the cruise director for a start, and the staff. Move them into the MDR so that we do not have to wait 20 minutes after dinner to get a lukewarm cup of joe.

If the market and cruise line profitability mean that they start charging for items that the majority of passengers do not use than so be it. We can live with it as long as they stop dropping level and quality of the basic standards of service level, ship mtce, food quality, cabin mtce, etc.

Edited by iancal

The only room service we take in the morning is coffee and some fruit. On the verandah.

We would have no problem paying a surcharge for delivery, as we do in a hotel, IF it meant that the cruise line would not be cutting back on food quality and service in other areas. Same for some other amenities on cruise ships.

We would be happy to see them cut out the cruise director for a start, and the staff. Move them into the MDR so that we do not have to wait 20 minutes after dinner to get a lukewarm cup of joe.

If the market and cruise line profitability mean that they start charging for items that the majority of passengers do not use than so be it. We can live with it as long as they stop dropping level and quality of the basic standards of service level, ship mtce, food quality, cabin mtce, etc.

Did you look at the menu? There is no fruit. Hopefully you can write it in.

There is no surcharge for delivery.

The surcharge is for a couple of items (salmon eggs benedict and steak and eggs) and a couple of drinks (Mimosas & caesars).