Blu vs. Luminae

twopats

Our last cruise was in a suite cabin where we dined at Luminae, which we thought was very special. This last cruise we Aqua class and naturally compared it to Luminae and surprisingly, we liked Blu better! At least on the Eclipse, the staff were simply outstanding, especially Suki who know our names from the first night, and the Maitre 'd who oversaw the restaurant skillfully and was impressive. He was not above cleaning tables, taking dining requests, etc. when the crowds became overly large. The restaurant itself is worth the extra cost for Aqua class.

Trish

Edited by twopats

We like Blu too and have been in AQ on several cruises but have been lucky enough to be in Luminae on our last three on Eclipse, Reflection and just last week on Equinox. We did go to Blu once while on Eclipse in 2015 and still enjoyed it but don't think it's nearly as good as Luminae as far as food quality is concerned. Service was excellent in both venues, however there seems to be more staff in Luminae so it is not as frantic as Blu can sometimes be when full.

Either are very nice and we'd be happy in Blu again if we can't book a suite.....BOTH are infinitely better than the Main Dining Room in our opinion.

We have done one cruise in AQ (Infinity 2013) and one in a suite (October.Nov 2015 Millennium).

We liked both, and on a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate the MDR as 7, AQ as 8 and Luminae as 9.5. The only thing negative about Luminae is that the selections are limited.

The only thing negative about Luminae is that the selections are limited.

But we found in Luminae on both Reflection and Equinox that you could have anything on the MDR menu if you didn't like the Luminae menu for that night....my DH had escargot several nights on both ships and we saw quite a few table with the MDR menu in hand....no idea how many actually ordered from it...

Our last cruise was in a suite cabin where we dined at Luminae, which we thought was very special. This last cruise we Aqua class and naturally compared it to Luminae and surprisingly, we liked Blu better! At least on the Eclipse, the staff were simply outstanding, especially Suki who know our names from the first night, and the Maitre 'd who oversaw the restaurant skillfully and was impressive. He was not above cleaning tables, taking dining requests, etc. when the crowds became overly large. The restaurant itself is worth the extra cost for Aqua class.

Trish

Outstanding services by the Blu Staff; but how was the food ?

We at currently on Silhouette traveling in a Celebrity Suite. Luminea is our primary dining but also are permitted to dine in Blu on a space availability basis. We have always intended on trying Blu but have always never gotten around to it until this cruise.

We ate there 3 nights ago. Being late diners we had no problem getting in at 9PM. The entire experience was wonderful, staff was very professional, engaging and efficient.

While I understand the menu use to be on the "healthy side", it is a very extensive menu with a broad selection. The menu is more similar to the main dining room with separate sections for Starter, Salad or Soup, Main Course and Desert.

Many people feel Luminea menu is limited with one starter, main course (4 choices) and desert. Saying that you can also order from the Main Dining Room Menu. I mainly eat fish on this trip. We have found the food excellent and prepared to order to the fish has always been cooked perfectly and piping hot. While some I have read complaints the portions are small, I have generally only been able to eat half of my main. The other night they had a wonderful desert and could only eat half of it.

Back to the subject of Blu. If not traveling in a suite I would be very pleased to dine every night in Bu.

All of our Celebrity cruises in the past have been in AQ...except for our most recent experience in a suite on the Infinity in Oct/Nov 16. We always enjoyed Blu and even thought we might stop by one or two nights at Blu for old-time's sake but we never did. Or even for breakfast....but Luminae captured our hearts.

Luminae exceeded our expectations. Far exceeded. And spoiled us for anything else.

We did learn that not only can you order from the MDR menu but Blu's as well. And that's nice but I always found something on the Luminae menu. My favorite was the New Guinea Hen. OMG to die for....... Yes oh yes.

As for lunch, Luminae burger was a total miss for me. Did NOT appeal to me at all so I picked something else. Fried chicken and waffles with maple drizzle anyone!!!!!!:eek: Pass on the fries and ask for another waffle instead (comes with fries and one waffle and 2 pieces of chicken).

Trish

Good for you. You can save yourself a lot of money on future cruises.

My experience is different, but it is good to have choices.

Edited by jagoffee

We at currently on Silhouette traveling in a Celebrity Suite. Luminea is our primary dining but also are permitted to dine in Blu on a space availability basis. We have always intended on trying Blu but have always never gotten around to it until this cruise.

We ate there 3 nights ago. Being late diners we had no problem getting in at 9PM. The entire experience was wonderful, staff was very professional, engaging and efficient.

While I understand the menu use to be on the "healthy side", it is a very extensive menu with a broad selection. The menu is more similar to the main dining room with separate sections for Starter, Salad or Soup, Main Course and Desert.

Many people feel Luminea menu is limited with one starter, main course (4 choices) and desert. Saying that you can also order from the Main Dining Room Menu. I mainly eat fish on this trip. We have found the food excellent and prepared to order to the fish has always been cooked perfectly and piping hot. While some I have read complaints the portions are small, I have generally only been able to eat half of my main. The other night they had a wonderful desert and could only eat half of it.

Back to the subject of Blu. If not traveling in a suite I would be very pleased to dine every night in Bu.

We'll be in a suite on Silhouette in January, and I must say I'm a little concerned about Luminae. The menus I've seen don't look too appealing and they they do seem limited. I realize we can order from the MDR menu, but I'm not sure why we would be happy doing this since we're expecting an upgraded experience . It's reassuring that most people seem pleased overall. We'll have to see for ourselves, I guess. We've had Blu before and been very pleased, perhaps we'll try to eat there if we're not happy with Luminae.

We'll be in a suite on Silhouette in January, and I must say I'm a little concerned about Luminae. The menus I've seen don't look too appealing and they they do seem limited. I realize we can order from the MDR menu, but I'm not sure why we would be happy doing this since we're expecting an upgraded experience . It's reassuring that most people seem pleased overall. We'll have to see for ourselves, I guess. We've had Blu before and been very pleased, perhaps we'll try to eat there if we're not happy with Luminae.

I suspect you will find Luminae willing to do pretty much whatever it takes to make you happy...they are THAT attentive....it really is a wonderful venue...

That was my thought, what about the food!

We have very limited experience in both restaurants having only dined in each for 1 cruise (2 different cruises).

We were very underwhelmed with Blu, but that was 6 years ago and things may have changed. We did not care for the food and we did not care for the dining room. A little cramped.

We both loved Luminae on our recent cruise in July. We loved the atmosphere, the waitstaff, and (for the most part) the food. I try not to be too picky on a cruise and I realized after we were off of the cruise that the meal that I was disappointed in, I should have asked for it to be cooked properly. I take full responsibility. I now know that had I asked, they would have happily gotten it for me. Lesson learned.

I loved the soup in Luminae! It was an adventure!

We've been in AQ a few times and for the first time, a suite on our last cruise, for our honeymoon. Whereas we enjoy Blu, we loved Luminae on Equinox. I only wish we could always afford a suite, but unfortunately, it was a one time special celebration. We leave Saturday on Reflection with a group of friends and it's the regular dining room......Something tells me this is doing to be a hard landing....lol.

I do like Blu and Luminae. Our last 2 cruises and our next cruise we were/are in a suite dining in Luminae. Our other 3 cruises next year we are in Blu. What I like about suites is you can dine in Blu if you wish. But, the best reason is you can order off the MDR menu or Luminae menu.

I want to assure you that we thought the same thing. "Concerned" isn't something I'd even put into words when you are on a cruise ship on vacation and staying in a suite! There may be less choices but they are GREAT choices. I always have to make a decision because at least two sound good. And if you just have a desire for a good steak, ask them. Or if you want a big plate of lettuce greens and a grilled chicken breast on top with some vinaigrette and feta cheese - they will be able to do that. They want to please you. I also tried some things that were new to me. Like travel, new food is also part of the whole experience for me.

We never went back to Blu (or their menu) and didn't order from the MDR menu again after Luminae. At least in our opinion they have a home run with their suite restaurant.

We will be eating in Luminae in less than 48 hours and I can hardly wait!!!:D

We were booked for an AquaClass cabin on Connie in May but were lucky to be able to upgrade to a Celebrity Suite, so we haven't tried Blu. But Luminae was wonderful! I never had a problem finding something that I liked on their menu, and DW was almost able to find something or have it altered slightly to suit -- or order off the MDR menu if all else failed. For the cost difference, I would look to try an AquaClass cabin -- but when I look at the deck plans I think they are all in poor locations [especially since they ruined the 11xx aft balconies with the Princess-clone MUTS].

One of the reasons we preferred Blu was the fact you had more than one choice for an appetizer, as in Luminae. The food in all categories was WONDERFUL, especially one night they had a Parsnip w/carmelized onions soup. This didn't sound at all appetizing, but the other soup was a cold one so I took a chance and it was "out of this world". The choices were much better for the main course in Blu and there was only one night, out of 15, that I ordered a steak from their alternative menu offer each night. It, again, was absolutely delicious. I don't know if all the Celebrity Solstice class ships have the same recipes, but if they do not, they should contact the Eclipse chef!!!

Trish

One of the reasons we preferred Blu was the fact you had more than one choice for an appetizer, as in Luminae.

Trish

huh? Luminae always has a choice of at least 4 different appetizers on the menu every night. Are you talking about the little "bite" that they give you BEFORE the appetizer? If so, that's not an appetizer, they describe that as something to "open" your appetite.....sometimes it was good, sometimes not, but it is not the appetizer.

We were on Eclipse last year and it was excellent at Luminae, we went to Blu once, which we also liked, but nowhere near as much as Luminae. But that's why they have choices....we don't all like the same thing.....

Edited by Gracie115

I have been thinking about this forever, so I have to ask...

Why is it an advantage to be able to "eat from the MDR menu" when you are paying $1000-1500 per night and eating exactly the same food as some who are paying $100-200 per night?

Although we occasionally find the Blu menu a little limited, we find the Luminae menu fairly meh. Although we are big fans of pork belly, and prepare it ourselves frequently as well as order it out, we purchase it for less than $3.00 per pound and when dining out, rarely pay more than $6 or $7 for a starter similar to the one in Luminae. Zucchini spaghetti? Do it all the time at home. Cauliflower steak? Prepared it a couple weeks ago.

I realize that the service is stellar, but, frankly, for us, dining out is about 80% about the food and 20% about the service.

We enjoy both Blu and Luminae. On a longer cruise we prefer a suite for the extra space and love that Luminae and Michaels come with that. (Having a butler is not a big deal for us.) But we are equally as happy on a shorter cruise in Aqua and dining in Blu. In fact, Blu is what sold me on cruising to begin with as I was a very reluctant cruiser. Our last cruise (in September on Equinox) we dined in Luminae with another couple traveling with us. At least one of us ordered one or more items off other menus each night.

I have to give my opinion

I do not like Blu very much. My last AQ cruise was in July, I ate dinner in Blu only a couple times over two weeks. I paid for Tusccan grill most nights instead.

I do like Luminae better, and on my last cruise in October I ate in Luminae most nights.

For me there is no real comparison.