Celebrity Edge - First Cut of Steel

CruisingChick

Lisa Lutoff-Perlo just tweeted out a picture and tweet:

We've got the #CelebrityEdge with the 1st cut of steel. So excited to see our dreams turn into reality over the next 24 months! #GoingBeyond

Hope it's not against CC rules to link to Twitter Posts regarding Celebrity.

Does anyone know where the Edge will make her "home port"?

I don't think there will be any ship retirements by then so it's not taking an existing route, so it could be anywhere. Seems to me this will be a repeat of Quantum - a Nov delivery of first in class ship with a TA crossing right after. Hmmm....might have to repeat.

The profile makes it look like a cross between an M-Class and an S-Class.

Probably a red herring and the Edge class ship won't look anything like the profile picture.

Edited by RickT

I'm going to predict this will be a pretty controversial design with long time customers, pretty like much of the direction Celebrity has taken lately.

Personally I'm a wait and see. I've yet to have a bad Celebrity cruise, with my most recent being 2 months ago. So I don't really share in the "sky is falling" mentality of many.

The outline in the photo is very interesting, especially the bow.

If history repeats, the outline should be a good representation of the overall outline of the ship, as the Solstice class looks very much like the outline shown at the initial steel cutting ceremony.

We are excited to hear more details as they are released.

Edited by CL-JW

The outline in the photo is very interesting, especially the bow.

If history repeats, the outline should be a good representation of the overall outline of the ship, as the Solstice class looks very much like the outline shown at the initial steel cutting ceremony.

We are excited to hear more details as they are released.

squared off bow? That looks strange. More like a ferry boat than a cruise ship.

I noticed that too. You'd think that it was going to have a catamaran hull. ;)

276891c17af095650ac8d5866a2290a9.jpg

squared off bow? That looks strange. More like a ferry boat than a cruise ship.

Well, this bow shape seems to be more fuel efficient at lower speeds. And more and more cruising is with slow speed...

I think it could look like the new Aida ship AidaPrima. They did the same there...

Yep the Edge class steel cutout in the photo is accurate. As for the "squared bow" it looks like they may become a more standard design feature. As mentioned it is more fuel efficient at lower speeds and allows for a little more utilizable space. The Aida Prima class has this design feature, as well as their new LNG builds, Costa, P&O, Carnival, and now Celebrity will have ships with these bow designs.

Am I the only one who hates the names? I know it goes with the whole "see the world" marketing push, but I dislike going away from the celestial stuff.

Also Celebrity Beyond makes me think we'll also see a Celebrity Into Darkness or Celebrity III: The Search for Captain Kate.

Am I the only one who hates the names? I know it goes with the whole "see the world" marketing push, but I dislike going away from the celestial stuff.

Also Celebrity Beyond makes me think we'll also see a Celebrity Into Darkness or Celebrity III: The Search for Captain Kate.

Wait until it's docked next to Infinity...and Beyond :D.

As an old time poster who did not like Celebrity, used to say, Celebrity names all their ships after cars. They continue that with the Edge although I'm hard pressed to find a Beyond.