Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

I am unsure what did you mean about eliminating the traditional promenade deck on S class ships - do you mean a full loop-around the haul? DW and I enjoy walking on deck 5 of S class ships after dinners, if the wind is too rough to walk on the upper deck - all you need to do is to cut through the ship at the theater to reach the other side, and you walk into opposite direction, then cut through again at the specialty restaurants to the other side :))))

Let me try to explain. It's a little hard to articulate. The Solstice Class was one of the first, or even the very first cruise ship design where the lifeboats/tenders are actually resting directly on the deck and not hoisted above it like on prior ships. On most previous ships, you stroll underneath the lifeboats and there is a big wide deck below the lifeboats with great ocean views. Some are even lined with lounge chairs. It may or may not be wrap-around, but either way you would still walk underneath the lifeboats. This is how it is on the M-Class ships. With the Solstice Class, there is only a narrow walkway behind the boats, as they sit almost directly on the deck, and there is no view except for a few patches of open space that have direct ocean views. This is massive and long lasting complaint about the Solstice Class when they first came out. Now we have many ship designs from many cruise lines with this same design. The Solstice Class paved the way so to speak. Why was it done? Revenue of course. With the traditional design of having the boats raised up a deck, with the promenade beneath them, it means almost an entire deck will have either obstructed ocean view cabins, or obstructed balcony cabins ... and I mean completely obstructed since the boats are right in front of them. The lounges are usually on the same deck as the open promenade so they have the views. Some ships also placed lounges up a deck behind the lifeboats, but no views. This is the case with the M-Class ships but many other lines put cabins behind there. By placing the lifeboats/tenders directly on the deck, it means the deck just above can have all higher revenue producing unobstructed view balcony cabins, or with a minimal obstruction in some cases depending on the ship. I hope this makes sense. Anyway it's interesting how it's pretty much forgotten, but 10 years ago it was a very hot topic and people were not happy. It was a pretty big deal at the time.

Promenade on CELEBRITY SUMMIT:

35559042772_472195478e_k.jpg

Promenade on CELEBRITY SOLSTICE Class:

42932451840_7071af59c2_b.jpg

Edited by eroller

There are 8 tenders, or launches as they call them, and 4 lifeboats, one at the end of each group of three in each of the 4 quadrants. See this thread for a detailed explanation and pictures. :D

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2673064

So we have 8 * 223 plus 4 * 450 which totals 3,584 space in boats. Rest would be life rafts. International law requires 125% spaces of the maximum number of persons onboard (which means pax and crew of course).

steamboats

Hope the EDGE lifeboats do not ruin sea views in BLU...we always enjoyed those views at breakfast and upon entering the ports.

Not a deal breaker but BLU on EDGE apparently did not get a prime location..There's also a walkway of sorts that may pass by the outside tables..and maybe the windows?

The venue itself looks spectacular and new menu items look very interesting! Hope adding more AQ class cabins converted from Concierge won't make it crowded.

Very much looking forward to our cruise .....even if our expensive cruise ship stateroom turns out to be just a plain old no frills "rented room" for the week!

Hope the EDGE lifeboats do not ruin sea views in BLU...we always enjoyed those views at breakfast and upon entering the ports.

Not a deal breaker but BLU on EDGE apparently did not get a prime location..There's also a walkway of sorts that may pass by the outside tables..and maybe the windows?

Best I can tell it will be a mixed bag. There will be some obstruction from the most aft lifeboat, but also I think some unobstructed views across the deck behind it. As you mentioned there is a promenade deck in front of Blu, so people might be walking past.

So we have 8 * 223 plus 4 * 450 which totals 3,584 space in boats. Rest would be life rafts. International law requires 125% spaces of the maximum number of persons onboard (which means pax and crew of course).

steamboats

EDGE will have at least two MES slides (marine evacuation system). These are essentially large inflatable enclosed slides that lead to multiple semi-attached inflatable enclosed life rafts. They are almost always used for the crew. You can see the housing for them in various pictures. Usually a large white looking box sitting on the deck. On EDGE they are located all the way aft just forward of the Eden lounge. They have to build tracks into the side of the hull as well, where lines from the white box lead down to the ocean, and the lines keep the inflatable rafts at the right distance to the ship. It's pretty cool to see one in action.

Bluefish Martini in hand, I will be watching some hotly contested world championship shuffleboard matches at this venue. Arrive early, no saving seats.35559042772_472195478e_k.jpg

Healthy discussion - whether serious, not so much or just plain silly - is necessary in it's various deliveries. It means someone or something got your attention.

Best I can tell it will be a mixed bag. There will be some obstruction from the most aft lifeboat, but also I think some unobstructed views across the deck behind it. As you mentioned there is a promenade deck in front of Blu, so people might be walking past.

At least the walkway is not going past our bedroom! .Not sure we would eat outside anyhow..the location looks a bit industrial...We might find folks walking by disruptive. depending on how they set off the tables...

Let me try to explain. It's a little hard to articulate. The Solstice Class was one of the first, or even the very first cruise ship design where the lifeboats/tenders are actually resting directly on the deck and not hoisted above it like on prior ships. On most previous ships, you stroll underneath the lifeboats and there is a big wide deck below the lifeboats with great ocean views. Some are even lined with lounge chairs. It may or may not be wrap-around, but either way you would still walk underneath the lifeboats. This is how it is on the M-Class ships. With the Solstice Class, there is only a narrow walkway behind the boats, as they sit almost directly on the deck, and there is no view except for a few patches of open space that have direct ocean views. This is massive and long lasting complaint about the Solstice Class when they first came out. Now we have many ship designs from many cruise lines with this same design. The Solstice Class paved the way so to speak. Why was it done? Revenue of course. With the traditional design of having the boats raised up a deck, with the promenade beneath them, it means almost an entire deck will have either obstructed ocean view cabins, or obstructed balcony cabins ... and I mean completely obstructed since the boats are right in front of them. The lounges are usually on the same deck as the open promenade so they have the views. Some ships also placed lounges up a deck behind the lifeboats, but no views. This is the case with the M-Class ships but many other lines put cabins behind there. By placing the lifeboats/tenders directly on the deck, it means the deck just above can have all higher revenue producing unobstructed view balcony cabins, or with a minimal obstruction in some cases depending on the ship. I hope this makes sense. Anyway it's interesting how it's pretty much forgotten, but 10 years ago it was a very hot topic and people were not happy. It was a pretty big deal at the time.

Now that is something that never bothered me. In fact, I hardly remember from cruise to cruise that the lifeboats are placed differently. Thanks for reminding me of the difference between the M & S class.

Now that is something that never bothered me. In fact, I hardly remember from cruise to cruise that the lifeboats are placed differently. Thanks for reminding me of the difference between the M & S class.

People were upset about it, but Celebrity never touted itself as a traditional brand so the expectation wasn't as high in that regard. HAL and Cunard, which do tout themselves as traditional brands with "ocean liners", have the expectation of offering a traditional wrap-around promenade deck. Unfortunately even on those brands the newest ships have or will have more of a Solstice Class style promenade deck. Boats sitting on the deck with just a narrow walkway behind them, and only a few patches of deck space with views. It doesn't bother me nearly as much with Celebrity as it does with HAL and Cunard, because the promenade deck is a major attribute of what those brands stand for. Unfortunately enhanced revenue opportunities won out.

Yes that is correct. From this picture above and the other that shows all six on the starboard side, I would say the first and last boats look like Lifeboats and the rest, 2, 3, 4 and 5 look like tender launches.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2428652&highlight=Tenders&page=76

Thank you for clarifying this, I actually knew the capacity of tenders because it is written on their sides :), but thanks to your comment and Kearney's follow up ....

I assume that Edge is one of these ships, because STX France is at the St. Nasaire shipyard.

What's interesting, Tall-Cruiser refers to six tenders on Edge, which then should bring the lifeboats (supposedly, MPC 49) number to six as well. Then the total capacity of lifeboats alone will be 2,700 pax - only 200 less than a full passenger list of the Edge... And there are six more tenders with 223 seats each!

But I am curious - what's the real number of those?

Marylander2 - Sorry if I confused you or others in one of my responses, but back in March we were talking about they same thing and trying to identify which is what. See above quote and link to page.

Well- the prommenade Deck discusion- i am big fan of those unobstructed prommenade decks. If one has enjoyed the prom deck on either QV- QE or the flagship of Cunard QM2 - one can really feel the difference- but thats neither here nor there- for me it was ONE of the reason to turn to Cunard. The same flaming discusion as we had when Solstice Class was introduced is happening now on the Cunard board- since it seems that new Cunarder will no longer have that - the almost trademark prom deck.

Same for HAL´s new ships Koeningsdam and New Statendam...- and still the ships seems to fill up nicely!

Just a question- any idea if and how you can rent a cabana on the Edge? They aren't listed. Is it for suite guests only? First come?

Thanks.

I spoke to a Celebrity rep about them a month or so ago and she said that they would be on the cruise planners but implied they might be in a reveal first. They hadn't sorted out the details yet (price, amenities, etc.). My guess is that they will be very pricey. I imagine they will have some built in technology involved and will have options for nice picnic lunches. :)

I have not been able to confirm if Edge has a library from any of the deck plans. Can anyone confirm as it is a huge plus on all Celebrity ships and others to avoid lugging books to the other side of the World. Yes, I have an iPad but prefer to hold a book.

It doesn't have a library.

I have not been able to confirm if Edge has a library from any of the deck plans.

Even with no dedicated library you might still find an area with a bookshelf. RCI more or less removed the libraries on their ships but there´s a room where you can still find some printed books. But the reality is that more and more people prefer ebook readers as they are much lighter and can hold lots of books.

steamboats

When I spoke to someone from the Pre-Cruise Corporate Guest Relations Team a month ago, she said there are still things to be added, but she didn't think there would be an actual library because of the vibe of advanced technology on the ship (I am paraphrasing her words). She thought there would be some sort of reading nook, but I think she was guessing.

I have converted to all Kindle now, but my husband reads print books only. He reads 4-5 books on a 7 night cruise (with 2 travel days) and brings 2-3 to get started. He always borrows 2-3 from the library to keep his luggage lighter and leaves his for others. The books in the ships' libraries never look that appealing to me, but he always finds something good. I hope they will have some sort of reading nook with an area to borrow books and leave your books when you are done. Not a deal breaker, but would be nice for the print readers for book exchange and for everyone to have a quiet place to read. :D

I, too, prefer books to readers. Just like the feel of a book and after looking at a computer screen all day, it kind of disconnects me from the screen. I hope they at least have an area with some bookshelves. I always bring a few new release paperbacks and actually donate them to the library for others when I'm done reading. This way I don't have to lug them home and others get to enjoy them.:)

The library on S class ships always seemed quite busy , on Oasis class empty. Since this ship is so tech focused a library seems inconsistent. I personally prefer books to readers.

On the S Class it´s sort of an atrium which is pretty attractive to sit down and relax. On the Oasis Class it´s an inside room. Not very attractive. It serves as library, card room and internet room.

steamboats