Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

10 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Is this the hippie bus?   It is in the Retreat, but not by the bar.

image.png.bce6a3c14e9fe2bb5ca446bdada95c6f.png

No, it looks more like it could be the stable for Mr. Edge. :classic_unsure:  

It is not really in the Retreat, I think, because it is aft of the Edge Villas.  Or does the Retreat area start that far back?  If it does, that would certainly add a lot of area to the Retreat.

4 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

Can anyone confirm that they've heard that there are issues with some very noisy cabins (creaking?) on the Edge?

I'm interested in what sea conditions this so called creaking supposedly occurred.  I can't remember the number of cabins we occupied that were noisy when the seas were above 10 ft.  There were many. Ships flex.

If it's vibration, that's another kettle of fish (or horses).

I'll bring ear plugs and WD 40.

What has really surprised me most has been how tight the tables are in the various dining venues. Even the last photos now from Lloyd show the Oceanview with tables right next to each other, but more surprising is the lack of space between rows of tables.

Would expect this on a mega ship, but the passenger space ratio on this ship is even better than the S class yet tables/chairs seem extremely jammed into food venues. Maybe just optical illusions and maybe we will need to see in person.

2 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

I'm waiting for details. There may be some facts lost in translation.The Club ceiling was mentioned as well in the same message(?!). Apparently the cabins above it are making noise that exceeds (what is acceptable).

I haven’t seen or heard anything, but I definitely want to know more.

1 hour ago, omarchs said:

What has really surprised me most has been how tight the tables are in the various dining venues. Even the last photos now from Lloyd show the Oceanview with tables right next to each other, but more surprising is the lack of space between rows of tables.

Would expect this on a mega ship, but the passenger space ratio on this ship is even better than the S class yet tables/chairs seem extremely jammed into food venues. Maybe just optical illusions and maybe we will need to see in person.

One of the things  I love on S class ships is how much space there is in the ocean view cafe. I see a number of people in wheelchairs and scooters able to maneuver without running into others or requiring people move. I share your concern on Edge. This will be the first time we use a scooter on a Celebrity ship... and hope DH can find a place to park. We will see.  

6 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

~ 60 cabins onboard. Don't have any other information.

Could it be that the Edge cabins are "hung" from the backbone of the ship, rather than the outer frame? This was a new innovation in the design of the ship.

And in this vein I am fascinated by how much window space there is on the sides of the Edge. Practically no metal distance between the windows. This makes for a very dramatic night time view.

Edited by dgraham
Add a comment

2 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I'm interested in what sea conditions this so called creaking supposedly occurred.  I can't remember the number of cabins we occupied that were noisy when the seas were above 10 ft.  There were many. Ships flex.

If it's vibration, that's another kettle of fish (or horses).

I'll bring ear plugs and WD 40.

I too would like to know what the sea conditions were when the crew noted significant creaking. Yes, ships flex, but there certainly shouldn’t be constant creaking in calm seas. 

I’d also like to know the location of the cabins. I had a midship Veranda cabin on a TA. While skirting a storm, we had rough seas (sometimes above 20 feet) for about 12 hours. I noticed some creaking that night, but nothing that kept me awake. Friends in a corner aft Sky Suite experienced more motion (naturally) had significant creaking, and had items fall out of the storage cabinets. 

Edited by Silkroad

19 minutes ago, beachbunny6 said:

Here is the current schedule for Edge at Port Everglades:  (Note:  Sorry, but it will NOT allow me to delete the second table.. please ignore it!  Thanks!)

image.png.fb3020105262d8f1fc666be3d865bd03.png

image.png

So there are two 2-night sailings before the United Way Cruise on the 27th. Any info on what they are? Crew trial runs? Travel agent cruises? Celebrity corporate staff?

23 minutes ago, dgraham said:

Could it be that the Edge cabins are "hung" from the backbone of the ship, rather than the outer frame? This was a new innovation in the design of the ship.

And in this vein I am fascinated by how much window space there is on the sides of the Edge. Practically no metal distance between the windows. This makes for a very dramatic night time view.

Glad someone commented on the unique framing on this ship. It really opens up the cabin. I looked at some exterior shots of S class balcony cabins vs the IV cabin... and it is amazing how much framing there is with a sliding glass door along with the curtain. I think one really nice thing about IV cabin will be the feeling of being closer to the water. Now you won't have that outdoor sensation while in the veranda area... but most of the time you will be in the cabin and have a great view...

7 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

So there are two 2-night sailings before the United Way Cruise on the 27th. Any info on what they are? Crew trial runs? Travel agent cruises? Celebrity corporate staff?

I think you’ll find the answer here, in post #9:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2568430-has-anyone-been-invited-to-sail-on-an-edge-pre-preview-cruise-in-late-november/

Edited by Silkroad

3 hours ago, Lloyd555 said:

I'm waiting for details. There may be some facts lost in translation.The Club ceiling was mentioned as well in the same message(?!). Apparently the cabins above it are making noise that exceeds (what is acceptable).

I’ve never understood when ships put cabins above or below areas that will produce a lot of noise. On NCL’s Epic they put their Posh sun deck right above some of the Owner’s Suites. Posh was supposed to be a beachy sundeck during the day and a clubby lounge at night with a DJ. After passengers kept complaining about the music above them they killed the evening aspect to Posh after only a few sailings. If noise proves to be a big problem with this Club I don’t know how Celebrity would be able to solve it other than recategorizing the cabins nearby and offering at a lower price with a noise warning.

• Like 1

Hi guys

They've been in contact. They know nothing about the bear and the VW isn't on board yet. She did mention something about graffiti artwork on the resort deck!

Yes, cabins have been creaking but the sea was pretty bad last night. 8 out of 10 for rocking. She almost fell out of her bed at one point😂.

The ship departs in an hour's time. 9 pm their time, but not sure of the course they will take.

She's claiming 5th amendment regarding night club noise !

I'm not allowed to say what other teething troubles need sorting!

Peter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Thanks. That answers the question about the 25th but not about the 21st cruise for 2 nights. I wonder who it will be for? Unless it’s a corporate sailing those will be the lucky very first passengers to sail on Edge!

7 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Thanks. That answers the question about the 25th but not about the 21st cruise for 2 nights. I wonder who it will be for? Unless it’s a corporate sailing those will be the lucky very first passengers to sail on Edge!

Nov 21 to 23 is "Employee shakedown"with CEO's.

Nov 23 to 25 is labelled just "Training"

Peter

13 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Sorry, I need more coffee😉 I’ll bet Vt knows, if anyone does. I’m sure she’ll be along sometime today.. haha or Esprit knows! Thanks Peter😊

Edited by Silkroad

Thanks to both you, and Valentina, for the great info and video, Peter. I hope she managed to get a bit of sleep during the rocking. So, the bear has gone underground, and you didn’t mention the horse, the penguin or the puppy. Sounds like those clever animals have been at the good whisky, and have found an empty cabin in which to sleep it off😂 I hope the crew are still having fun when off duty😊

Cheers,

Michelle