Club class experience Island Princess Jan 4 Panama

HaveDogWillTravel

This is actually what has happened with all the US legacy airlines: basic coach has been greatly diminished, while (Premium Economy has been recently introduced, with the US Big Three) First & Business cabins keep getting bigger and more Luxuries. Compared to the 1980's, where coach was a comfortable place, with hot meals, drinks, playing cards, movies, etc.: all this is stopped, while coach is now more like a 16th Century, Spanish Slave Galleon".

We are in a new era, spend the cash, or get little in return: less and less, by the year!

Sadly this why it has diminissed ...because some consumers pay for an upgrade, for what they used to get with their basic fare :(

Be it ,trains ,planes or cruise ships!

People ,stop paying for this stuff ,and the travel industry will stop charging extra for it!!

Before I read ..well let them pay extra for what they want, it keeps my costs down. Umm.. no it does not! Cost keeps rising and services keep going down :( The consumer is at fault.

Edited by Reader0108598

Sadly this why it has diminissed ...because some consumers pay for an upgrade, for what they used to get with their basic fare :(

Be it ,trains ,planes or cruise ships!

People ,stop paying for this stuff ,and the travel industry will stop charging extra for it!!

Before I read ..well let them pay extra for what they want, it keeps my costs down. Umm.. no it does not! Cost keeps rising and services keep going down :( The consumer is at fault.

This is very true and good advice: I have stopped going to Vegas because of the Resort Fees and now the addition of Pay Parking, on the Strip!

Semi-related comment/question: I was on the Island Princess cruise that ended on the day you departed (1/4.) I would be interested to find out how "ready" everything was for you when you boarded given that:

1. The crew had to take down all of the Christmas decorations (trees, lights, wreaths, etc.) throughout the ship.

2. They had to convert the ship over to the Club Class format. (Not sure quite how much that entails, but surely there was some extra work involved.), and

3. We were nearly an hour late in clearing Customs in San Pedro, and the disembarkation process was running MORE than an hour behind schedule (at least when I got off around 10:45 -- which was originally supposed to be at 9:35.)

If everything was ship-shape (literally) and ready to go when you boarded, I'd have to give them a round of applause.

I know it's fine to request things off menu in MDR but in CC I feel better about being " Sally" as in "When Harry Met Sally"

This is my first OP and will be my last. I do not care for snarky remarks and unkind assumptions regarding my character.

If you do not get the above reference...look it up and you should understand my comment better.

Also with regards to cc taking service away service from other diners , I am not seeing this to be the case. There have been longer lines to enter MDR with atd but everyone files in and eats and is not left outside waiting. Cc has about 20 two tops and one ( maybe 2) larger rounds. I have seen that everyone gets seated at noon at 5:15 and at 7 pm as this is when we have eaten. So if there are problems with others getting a table in atd at other times I wouldn't know.

Semi-related comment/question: I was on the Island Princess cruise that ended on the day you departed (1/4.) I would be interested to find out how "ready" everything was for you when you boarded given that:

1. The crew had to take down all of the Christmas decorations (trees, lights, wreaths, etc.) throughout the ship.

2. They had to convert the ship over to the Club Class format. (Not sure quite how much that entails, but surely there was some extra work involved.), and

3. We were nearly an hour late in clearing Customs in San Pedro, and the disembarkation process was running MORE than an hour behind schedule (at least when I got off around 10:45 -- which was originally supposed to be at 9:35.)

If everything was ship-shape (literally) and ready to go when you boarded, I'd have to give them a round of applause.

We started boarding at 12:35 in stead of 11:45

All decorations down

CC just needed the new grey linens and one sign at the door.

Everything was ship shape. The crew was in great spirits and couldn't believe our room was ready when we boarded.

This crew is really outstanding. And yes they treat allpsssengers that way.

One member in our Cruise Critic m&g group did not get all there luggage ( we had 60 at our m&g). We left late and some say it was because of luggage issues. I really don't know.

I sm sorry I didn't go to MDR on embark day. I meant to as I knew there were questions. I'll ask our maitre d later if MDR is open to all then.

Thanks to those who have been kinder than the others. I have not read all the posts. But saw such negative ones at the start it was just really discouraging. Why would anyone want to contribute to a board and subject themselves to such FB like meaness? I don't. Well off to the archeological site in Huatulco!

Why would anyone want to contribute to a board and subject themselves to such FB like meaness? I don't.

Please do not be discouraged about being an OP. I couldn't agree more with your comment above. I posted a customer service issue I had on the Island yesterday (it got pulled because I forgot and named our travel agent), and some of the comments were so rude, I don't think I'll repost without the travel agent's name. I posted it as a way to share what happened to me and questions I had for Princess. I though CruiseCritic readers would be interested. Most comments were reasonable, several people shared similar experiences, but the negatives one sure did sting. I hope the nasty and snarky comments don't discourage others to post their thoughts, opinions, and experiences...

Thanks for posting your experience, I know I am curious about CC, whether I would do it or not...

Edited by RSF Cruiser

Hey HaveDog....

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments.

If I were you I'd probably feel the same way, but you did provide valuable information for me and others too, I'm sure. :) So again a big Thank You!

HaveDogWillTravel,

Thanks for posting info regarding the CC experience.

For the dining alone, it sounds like a good fit for us. We were on the Celebrity Constellation last year and didn't think we would enjoy Luminae, but we did. In fact, we loved it.

Your feedback convinced us that Princess can do it, too.

As such, we just changed our MB bookings to CC (M1) for our 2017 cruises on the Crown.

We are looking forward to it.

Thanks again.

According to our waiter in sabitinis this morning, the MDR is open to all on embarkation day. It does close early. Not sure when it actually closed as the Island was running late but the patter said 1:30 if I remember correctly.

Thank you for making the time to post. It was interesting to hear that Sabitinis was still available for suite passengers. The Grand shifts to CC on our next cruise - 15 day with many sea days. We have been eager to hear how the CC experience has been working. We have enjoyed Sabitinis for breakfast, when we have been able to cruise in a suite and thought that breakfast at Sabitinis was discontinued with this change. At least for now, on the Coral, it appears that Sabitinis for breakfast is still there. With DWs food allergies, we are looking forward to the same wait staff for lunches. We enjoy the Coral with its full promenade and nice (aft) public balconies. We are glad that it retained its sleek configuration. Wishing you a continued awesome cruise.

Thank you for making the time to post. It was interesting to hear that Sabitinis was still available for suite passengers. The Grand shifts to CC on our next cruise - 15 day with many sea days. We have been eager to hear how the CC experience has been working. We have enjoyed Sabitinis for breakfast, when we have been able to cruise in a suite and thought that breakfast at Sabitinis was discontinued with this change. At least for now, on the Coral, it appears that Sabitinis for breakfast is still there. With DWs food allergies, we are looking forward to the same wait staff for lunches. We enjoy the Coral with its full promenade and nice (aft) public balconies. We are glad that it retained its sleek configuration. Wishing you a continued awesome cruise.

I have not heard it was canceled. Where did you hear that?

Colo Cruiser,

I apologize if I am causing stress.

The Princess site's description of Full Suite benefits no longer lists "Breakfast at Sabitinis". It states: Includes all the fine amenities of a spacious Club Class Mini-Suite plus:

Approx. 460 to 932 sq. ft., including balcony

Luxury balcony furniture including 2 loungers, 4 chairs, table and ottoman

2 floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors

Separate sitting area with sofa bed, chair and 2 tables

One complimentary mini-bar setup and free daily bottled water

Spacious walk-in closet

Complimentary Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite access on select ships*

Complimentary laundry and professional cleaning services

Complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant on embarkation day^

Priority specialty dining and shore excursion reservation

Priority disembarkation at tender ports

Comfortable queen or two twin beds

I interpret this text change to indicate a transition from breakfast at Sabitinis, in the near future. From OPs posts, it appears that the Coral still has (for a time) full suite breakfast at Sabitinis. I am sure that breakfast in the CC dining will still be nice. Having the same wait staff across all dining room meals will also be enjoyable.

We definitely appreciate HaveDogWillTravel's preview of the CC experience.

The Princess website says

Complimentary Specialty Dining Mimosa Breakfast (daily)*

The story seems to be that on some ships, Sabatini's no longer exists, so they serve the breakfast elsewhere (Crown Grill?). They just don't call it "Breakfast at Sabatini's" anymore.

Colo Cruiser,

I apologize if I am causing stress.

The Princess site's description of Full Suite benefits no longer lists "Breakfast at Sabitinis". It states: Includes all the fine amenities of a spacious Club Class Mini-Suite plus:

Approx. 460 to 932 sq. ft., including balcony

Luxury balcony furniture including 2 loungers, 4 chairs, table and ottoman

2 floor-to-ceiling sliding glass doors

Separate sitting area with sofa bed, chair and 2 tables

One complimentary mini-bar setup and free daily bottled water

Spacious walk-in closet

Complimentary Lotus Spa® Thermal Suite access on select ships*

Complimentary laundry and professional cleaning services

Complimentary dinner in a specialty restaurant on embarkation day^

Priority specialty dining and shore excursion reservation

Priority disembarkation at tender ports

Comfortable queen or two twin beds

I interpret this text change to indicate a transition from breakfast at Sabitinis, in the near future. From OPs posts, it appears that the Coral still has (for a time) full suite breakfast at Sabitinis. I am sure that breakfast in the CC dining will still be nice. Having the same wait staff across all dining room meals will also be enjoyable.

We definitely appreciate HaveDogWillTravel's preview of the CC experience.

Thanks. That is strange that it's missing in the description now.

I know many people (including us) look forward to that particular perk.

Disregard re: above post.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

HDWT, thank you for your original post as well as your coming back to answer additional questions. I understand your reticence to venture out again, but hope you will. Thankfully, there are more wonderful people here, than the snarks, but snarks do swim in these waters. I refrain from naming names.

I hope you keep us up to date on your cruise. I love reading live reports and since CC is so new, it's good to hear one person's experience with it. Reading what some speculate on other threads about CC, sounds like CC dining will bring down the Princess Cruise line!!! Glad to hear we might survive after all!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is my first OP and will be my last. I do not care for snarky remarks and unkind assumptions regarding my character.

If you do not get the above reference...look it up and you should understand my comment better.

Also with regards to cc taking service away service from other diners , I am not seeing this to be the case. There have been longer lines to enter MDR with atd but everyone files in and eats and is not left outside waiting. Cc has about 20 two tops and one ( maybe 2) larger rounds. I have seen that everyone gets seated at noon at 5:15 and at 7 pm as this is when we have eaten. So if there are problems with others getting a table in atd at other times I wouldn't know.

Please don't let it get to you. It happens often, but there are good people here that will appreciate the information you are providing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Edited by dtb55

I'm not sure how longer line's isn't taking away from other cruisers.

HaveDogWillTravel:

Can you please continue to provide us with CC dining comments? We would love to hear how it was daily / nightly throughout your cruise.

As stated previously, we changed our cabins on our 2 Crown cruises in 2017 to accommodate CC amenities and are so looking forward to learning more.

We also booked a CC Cabin on the Pacific Princess for 2018. I'm not a fan of the "R" ships, so I really want the extra amenities.

Thanks for your time.

I'm not sure that was how it was meant either. I think she said she felt more comfortable asking for special requests.

There was a big ho-ha over on the Cunard boards just recently where they "upgraded" the Princess Grill menu (which is probably the most direct comparison to mini suite club class on Princess) as they no longer did special request off menu items. You had to be a full suite guest for that!

Right that is they way I read it also... all cruise lines are moving to a more expanded class system ...sad!

We cruised the Queen Mary 2 last year, saw Cunard had a cabin category below the Grills, above balcony cabins... that was called "Club something", basically it was a mini suite cabin, same layout exactly as Princess... for a lot more money. Had a small section in the MDR for dining and own menu.

By the way, read here on the Cunard boards that only special requests where available if you were in a Grill cabin... we got special requests in the MDR on Cunard, both on the Qm2 and the Queen Victoria... so can't believe everything you read on cruise critic.