The one thing I strongly dislike about cruise ships...

BoiiMcFly

Must admit, that despite having spent more then 3 years of my life as a cruise ship passenger, the last thought on my mind has been cruise ship pollution. But then again, I have never apologized for being an American :).

Hank

This is a concern I've heard non-cruisers mention often!

Mind you, many of them are probably thinking of Titanic style coal furnaces as power.

Sure it's a luxury, but I'll be damned if my vacation time is planting trees and singing kumbaya.

Is the amount of pollution and waste they produce. I find ships amazing, but I really wish they could be a lot more environmentally friendly.

Sometimes that makes me not want to cruise. Has this affected anyone's decision about whether to cruise or not?

If you are so worried, you could take a cruise on a sailboat. Not one of the big sailboats that use sail for only a short time but a true sailboard. In fact, you might check out the Maine Windjammer fleet -

http://www.sailmainecoast.com/pick-a-ship/our-vessels/

Many of them do not even have engines and use power which is a pusher outboard powered boat only to get into and out of port and not even then if they can avoid it. We went on the Lewis R French. It was a great cruise.

DON

The OP is going on his first cruise in April and joined Cruise Critic just a few days ago. Instead of asking if cruise ships provide immersion survival suits in case the ship sinks (as he did on another thread he started) or complaining about how much pollution and waste a dubious source claims they produce, he should be asking how best to enjoy the cruise. Focusing on negatives doesn't seem to be the best way to prepare for a cruise vacation. :confused:

Edited by sloopsailor

The OP is going on his first cruise in April and joined Cruise Critic just a few days ago. Instead of asking if cruise ships provide immersion survival suits in case the ship sinks (as he did on another thread he started) or complaining about how much pollution and waste a dubious source claims they produce, he should be asking how best to enjoy the cruise. Focusing on negatives doesn't seem to be the best way to prepare for a cruise vacation. :confused:

Sorry if it came off negative, but my immersion suit question was out of sheer curiosity, and it actually ended up becoming a fun thread. In this post I clearly start off by saying that I love ships, but I am also not afraid of questioning/pointing out certain flaws that can/should be improved. I am just happy about all the responses I'm getting, many of them have been very informative and kind. Some seem to dislike my posts, sorry if that's the case. I am very excited about my cruise and if you check some of the other boards, I have already asked many users for their feedback regarding their cruising experiences.

Sorry if it came off negative, but my immersion suit question was out of sheer curiosity, and it actually ended up becoming a fun thread. In this post I clearly start off by saying that I love ships, but I am also not afraid of questioning/pointing out certain flaws that can/should be improved. I am just happy about all the responses I'm getting, many of them have been very informative and kind. Some seem to dislike my posts, sorry if that's the case. I am very excited about my cruise and if you check some of the other boards, I have already asked many users for their feedback regarding their cruising experiences.

I suspect you'd have received a similar reaction if you had walked into a biker bar and said "The one thing I strongly like about bikes is...". No matter how much you professed to love bikes after that it wouldn't matter.:)

I suspect you'd have received a similar reaction if you had walked into a biker bar and said "The one thing I strongly like about bikes is...". No matter how much you professed to love bikes after that it wouldn't matter.:)

:D

A similar reaction whould happen if he had walked into a Canadian bar and said "The one thing I strongly dislike about hockey is...."

However, the reaction would be far less civil than the reaction here. :D

If he said "like" hockey the Canuks would be buying him some rounds of beer.:)

The good thing about the thread is that chengkp75 chimed in and we all learnt something. No thread can be considered a waste or silly when that happens.

Edited by DirtyDawg

You say you love ships but are only pointing out flaws that need to be addressed and/or corrected. The problem I see is, your source of these alleged flaws is in itself flawed and has it's own agenda. The flaws just don't exist to any appreciable extent, as has already been explained by facts from someone who is involved in the business and has no axe to grind, rather then opinion and incomplete information given out for who knows what reason.

No, your thread title leads with "the one thing I strongly dislike about cruise ships", which is a strong position statement to the contrary. Your threads tend to be provocative with commentary regarding the flaws as you see them based on questionable facts and no direct experience to support your opinion. And when others with correct and accurate knowledge on the subject respond to the contrary, you continue your agenda with citing the same questionable knowledge sources or your own opinion to support your position.

:D

A similar reaction whould happen if he had walked into a Canadian bar and said "The one thing I strongly dislike about hockey is...."

However, the reaction would be far less civil than the reaction here. :D

If he said "like" hockey the Canuks would be buying him some rounds of beer.:)

The good thing about the thread is that chengkp75 chimed in and we all learnt something. No thread can be considered a waste or silly when that happens.

Likely be body checked through the plate glass window.:D And I agree, chengkp75 is a wealth of information.

I saw large large amount of food wasted by people taking too much or too big of a portion.

I'm not sure if it's an actual industry practice but some cruise lines chop the food waste up and discharge it for the marine life to consume.

Here is a list of the best/worst cruise ships concerning eco-friendliness. http://www.foe.org/cruise-report-card

This report is put out by an environmental group. If you had information put out by the cruise industry, I am sure it would be very different. The actual truth is probably somewhere in between. Most cruise lines have invested heavily in making their ships more environmentally friendly. As one poster mentioned, more so than cargo ships, which there are a lot more of on the seas. Enjoy your cruise, take the all access tour and learn for yourself what they are doing. They spend quite a bit of time speaking to this issue.

I'm not sure if it's an actual industry practice but some cruise lines chop the food waste up and discharge it for the marine life to consume.

All the ships have what amounts to a "centralized" garbage disposal system. Each dishwash station in each galley will have a large grinder, where the water is recirculated through all of the grinders on the ship. This ground food waste goes to a tank that separates the pulped food from the water. The water goes around the system again, the food is transferred to a holding tank. At night, one poor soul sits there for hours tossing the leftovers into the grinder to get rid of it. Out at sea, the food waste (basic consistency of baby food) gets pumped over, and the pulper water gets renewed.

This report is put out by an environmental group. If you had information put out by the cruise industry, I am sure it would be very different. The actual truth is probably somewhere in between. Most cruise lines have invested heavily in making their ships more environmentally friendly. As one poster mentioned, more so than cargo ships, which there are a lot more of on the seas. Enjoy your cruise, take the all access tour and learn for yourself what they are doing. They spend quite a bit of time speaking to this issue.

Great answer, appreciate you not getting all sensitive over my post. I am sure that cruise lines are indeed working very hard at it. And yes I am looking forward to the access tour and learning more about these new mega ships. Thanks.

Whose "list" do you have to be on to get that task?:eek:

You don't want to know. Surrounded by 55 gallon garbage cans, using a coal shovel to feed the stuff in. Dust mask, rubber apron and gloves. Oh, the glamor of cruise ships. :D

Probably for being a maitre d' who tried to enforce a dress code.

Only on some cruise lines, though;).

You don't want to know. Surrounded by 55 gallon garbage cans, using a coal shovel to feed the stuff in. Dust mask, rubber apron and gloves. Oh, the glamor of cruise ships. :D

Glamorous for sure. :)

OP, I don't think anyone would call a cruise ship green. It's biggest problem is all the fuel that it burns and the sulfur and carbon that it emits into the air.

It's a serious problem that lots of people are talking about. And, as this article shows, the cruise lines don't like the attention that it is getting on this issue: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/may/21/the-worlds-largest-cruise-ship-and-its-supersized-pollution-problem

Is the amount of pollution and waste they produce. I find ships amazing, but I really wish they could be a lot more environmentally friendly.

Sometimes that makes me not want to cruise. Has this affected anyone's decision about whether to cruise or not?

No. If it bothers you don't cruise.