New question on post cruise survey

I have to perform to my plan to get maximum compensation as well.

Rating average or good service as a 10 is one thing. Rating poor, sub-par, or mediocre service a 10 is ultimately doing you more of a disservice than the employees.

A lot of crew are friendly and likeable even though their service might just be average and thats probably why i give them 10s.

Graham.

A lot of crew are friendly and likeable even though their service might just be average and thats probably why i give them 10s.

Graham.

Some of the crew may be that way, but that is the exception. Almost all of the crew we came across in our many cruises were very dedicated, excellent and went out of their way is making our cruise most enjoyable.

Some of the crew may be that way, but that is the exception. Almost all of the crew we came across in our many cruises were very dedicated, excellent and went out of their way is making our cruise most enjoyable.

...and they are friendly and likable.

I have one last thing to add to this thread:

While I am sure the surveys are used in some fashion to evaluate the crew, it is probably not their only purpose.

It’s likely that sales and marketing uses these surveys in setting price.

When I complete surveys for work, I reminded: “Don’t say too many nice things or they’ll raise the price next time”

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have one last thing to add to this thread:

While I am sure the surveys are used in some fashion to evaluate the crew, it is probably not their only purpose.

It’s likely that sales and marketing uses these surveys in setting price.

When I complete surveys for work, I reminded: “Don’t say too many nice things or they’ll raise the price next time”

A different perspective and quite possible.

• 3 weeks later...

If we get asked to provide tens on the survey (again) I will point out to the waiter that the survey now asks if staff ask for tens.

I will then question the real reason why he/she is asking for ten and are they aware of this new question.

Please let us know the response.

Just returned from recent cruise on Rhapsody.

Service in the MDR was the best we have experienced in a long while.

Bar service was outstanding, provided by the assistant waiter.

Waiters did not ask for high scores nor did they mention the survey.

Head waiter just reminded us about the survey and the importance of completing it, suggesting if we had good service to reflect it in the marks.

I didn't ask, but I suspect they are aware of the 'new' question.

Tens given for the dining experience without the need for asking and very well deserved.

Edited by icsys

With so many bars aboard the ships I wish RCI would somehow make distinctions on the surveys about where you might have received service just as they make a distinction between food venues. It is possible to have some bars working much better than others. Bad service at one bar should not reflect negatively against great service at another bar. Great serve at some bars does not necessarily mean that all bar service is great either.

With so many bars aboard the ships I wish RCI would somehow make distinctions on the surveys about where you might have received service just as they make a distinction between food venues. It is possible to have some bars working much better than others. Bad service at one bar should not reflect negatively against great service at another bar. Great serve at some bars does not necessarily mean that all bar service is great either.

Very good point. On so many ships the Pool Bar is overwhelmed. On ships without the Freestyle, I give up trying to get a coke there. But the bars like the Schooner or other interior bars where the atmosphere is relaxed the service seems better. On surverys now, I tend to forget about the pool bar and concentrate on others. I'll occasionally mention something on the website feedback about a particularly good or bad bar.

PS, Main dining room bar service has been steadily going down hill my last few 7 day cruises.

For the self appointed moderators, I am intentionally digging up this old thread, though I wanted to dig up an older one. Anyway, on the subject of 10's on survey and how the crew is beaten for anything under a 10 ;) I wanted to revisit the topic. I believe Royal, as much as I love her(it) is inconsistent. Inconsistent from year to year, or ship to ship at any given time. 2016 Oasis was the first time I felt pressure to give 10s. But on that cruise I pretty much wanted to do that anyway. 2017 on Adventure we were told that survey's were in our email in box when we departed the ship. But our waiter made a point to say even if you think the service was great, dinging the food at a lower score hurt them. This was the first time I felt manipulation, but I was honest with the survey. This time coming of Adventure I would have given a lot of 10s and some other scores, but no survey! I did go to Crown and Anchor's site and give my comments which were well received. I was told they would pass on my complements to the dining team I had, but only acknowledged my remark about inconsistencies in the Viking Crown Lounge - Diamond Happy hour.

I also just had this experience for the first time on Oasis. My husband and I agreed the entrees in the MDR were the worst we've experienced in all our cruises (not horrible, but we've had many excellent entrees, and many this time were fatty or overcooked). Our server, who was EXCELLENT and deserved her 10s, said rating MDR food quality as anything less than a 10 affects HER (she said she'd have to receive additional training; she was an Oasis vet, on board her for 6 years). This makes NO sense to me and is truly unfair. So because I did not want her to be affected, I gave 10s across the board for MDR, then detailed in my comments how I thought food quality should be in a separate section and how wrong it was to affect the servers for an area they have NO impact on.

I also just had this experience for the first time on Oasis. My husband and I agreed the entrees in the MDR were the worst we've experienced in all our cruises (not horrible, but we've had many excellent entrees, and many this time were fatty or overcooked). Our server, who was EXCELLENT and deserved her 10s, said rating MDR food quality as anything less than a 10 affects HER (she said she'd have to receive additional training; she was an Oasis vet, on board her for 6 years). This makes NO sense to me and is truly unfair. So because I did not want her to be affected, I gave 10s across the board for MDR, then detailed in my comments how I thought food quality should be in a separate section and how wrong it was to affect the servers for an area they have NO impact on.

They can get away with sub standard food by lugging the review score to the service given which is totally wrong and they must know it.

On our last cruise it wasn't the waitstaff, it was the manager of the MDR.

There’s a big difference between a boss trying to help his crew out a little with their scores and the first person telling you the negative impact they will have on your life if you don’t give him a ten.

• 4 weeks later...

Just off CCL’s Breeze. Only mention of the survey was by the MD as he made his farewell announcement. Basically said: “Please fill out the survey, if we did a good job we like to hear that and if there are things we can do better we need to hear that too.” Didn’t realize how overbearing this and the table side sales for galley tours and other things had become until we experienced a week without it.

Only mention of the survey was by the MD as he made his farewell announcement. Basically said: “Please fill out the survey, if we did a good job we like to hear that and if there are things we can do better we need to hear that too.”

Same thing happened on Indy last week. So, is it better for individual begging by the waiter or an overall begging from the MD blasted in by loudspeaker to the entire MDR?

Same thing happened on Indy last week. So, is it better for individual begging by the waiter or an overall begging from the MD blasted in by loudspeaker to the entire MDR?

When the did the Indy T/A the blinking head waiter was nothing but a pain. 4 times our dinner was completely interrupted by him booming out stuff like that and getting the waiters to 'entertain' us.

The most offensive part was when a waiter was playing a flute (which was quite pleasant) but a loud mouthed awful waiter standing / hanging over the stairs shouting - at the top of his voice, really really loud - 'yeah','thats great', 'give us more''come on, come one' and other shouted messages which went on and on.

As our table was at the bottom of the stairs, we suffered the whole of it and it was hideous. It was worse than being in a 2 star Holiday Camp.

We complained at the time about loudmouth and was told that he 'does that every time, people complain, but we can't stop him' !!! Jeeze. Needless to say, we also put it in our survey.:mad:

4 times we had our main meal interrupted / ruined as we had our entrees served as they started and I needed the waiter to get me something, but he couldnt get through to me. I had to send the meal back as it was cold but eh time I got served.

We have been on many RCI cruises and never ever experienced disruption like that before. The annoying Head Waiter starting by saying 'sorry to interrupt your private time' then going on and on for 10/15 minutes. Even our waiter and Ass Waiter apologised for the continual and lengthy interruptions. In his final interruption on the last night he did say how important high scores were and the staff deserved a high score - or words to that effect.

We told our Waiter and Ass Waiter the objections behaviour of the Head Waiter would not stop us giving them a 10...which we did. We did also complain the strongest terms about the Head Waiters interruptions.

I wonder if the feedback has actually got through! :rolleyes:

Yikes! Hope the crew knows about this change. I'm guessing if you say yes and identify the person the ship might leave port one person less.

That being said, I agree with the addition to the questionnaire. "Begging" for ratings always struck me as sad.

Its sad BUT if they drop below, i think its an 85% rating they can get wages and tip withheld so its basically cutting them off , that's why they are so scared of a bad review.

Its sad BUT if they drop below, i think its an 85% rating they can get wages and tip withheld so its basically cutting them off , that's why they are so scared of a bad review.

All they need to do is be pleasant and give great service and they will get their 10s and their name praised in our survey.