Why not just get rid of "Chic Night"?

jsf

Fast forward 3 years and our Modern luxury cruise line drops their standards. I thought part of cruising was the dressing up, and socializing.If I wanted to dress like I was going to the neighborhood pizza joint would have stayed home.

Thank God it's not, I despise dressing up, if I wanted to do that I would hit up a wedding or funeral, certainly not waste my vacation days on it. I find it a pain to wear dockers/long sleeve shirt and a sports jacket, I am just not into it at all.

No one is telling you what to wear, you can dress to the nines every nite if you wish, but please don't impose what you think a cruise should be on me, and if you really really need to see everyone dressed up at dinner I am sure there are still lines that have a stricter dress policy.

Thanks !

Thank God it's not, I despise dressing up, if I wanted to do that I would hit up a wedding or funeral, certainly not waste my vacation days on it. I find it a pain to wear dockers/long sleeve shirt and a sports jacket, I am just not into it at all.

No one is telling you what to wear, you can dress to the nines every nite if you wish, but please don't impose what you think a cruise should be on me, and if you really really need to see everyone dressed up at dinner I am sure there are still lines that have a stricter dress policy.

Thanks !

I would never impose my wishes on anyone. I always had the impression that dressing up was just part for cruising. I agree there are more formal lines and more budget friendly. But based on my last X cruise their were more nicely dressed folks, than the other. It's all about the overall experience and what makes you happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would never impose my wishes on anyone. I always had the impression that dressing up was just part for cruising. I agree there are more formal lines and more budget friendly. But based on my last X cruise their were more nicely dressed folks, than the other. It's all about the overall experience and what makes you happy.

That is correct, sorry if I sounded rude !! I think dressing up is going the way of the dodo bird. Ten or maybe even 5 years from now there will be people posting about how when they cruised in 2010 it cost $20 for 90 mins of 1 MB internet access and new cruisers will be laughing about it, because internet will be totally free. Just the way society evolves, I get how people love the past I know I do, but things change and either you go with it or end up like Sears or K-Mart.

That is correct, sorry if I sounded rude !! I think dressing up is going the way of the dodo bird. Ten or maybe even 5 years from now there will be people posting about how when they cruised in 2010 it cost $20 for 90 mins of 1 MB internet access and new cruisers will be laughing about it, because internet will be totally free. Just the way society evolves, I get how people love the past I know I do, but things change and either you go with it or end up like Sears or K-Mart.

Your right, just like traditional dining. However, instead of cruising this summer, will be doing a two week land trip with my Sister. See how that works. Happy casual cruising to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of the people that wear their hats backwards and do not have a clue that it is rude to even wear a hat indoors and those that are so ignorant that they wear their pajamas to the Breakfast Buffet have already destroyed the once beautiful event that was once known as "Formal Night". So I agree, I have no idea why they have an event called "Chic Night"! To many "Chic Night" is their chance to wear their new jeans that came 'pre-sliced', or their best motor cycle boots. PLEASE don't bother! Let the minions wear their best jeans and don't bother calling it by any other name. The once great "formal nights" are gone as the cruise lines bowed to the almighty dollar. Thank God for Cunard!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by luvbluseas

My husband and I enjoyed the formal nights while they lasted, but there are many people who have good reasons for not wanting to dress in formal attire. On our 7 day cruise last week, for Chic Nights, we did not bring the formal wear - he wore jackets with ties and I wore cocktail-length dresses and it was fine. However, on our 11 day cruise next month, we will bring tux and gowns and we will each bring a suitcase instead of sharing one.

I think Celebrity did the right thing with Chic Nights from a business perspective. Although we enjoy dressing up, I think it will soon get to a point where they could not fill ships with enough men willing to wear a jacket, let alone tux. At least currently, those of us who wish to get all dolled up still can. Even on our 7 day cruise last week, my husband was thrilled to see quite a few tuxes so he is happily bringing his on the next cruise. We have two 16+ day cruises booked for next year and I'm sure there will be more than a few tuxes on those.

To the each his own - although I like seeing people wearing beautiful clothing, what someone else wears is their own business. North Americans are getting more casual in every situation. A cruise line that doesn't force people to be uncomfortable will probably have an easier time filling ships in the future. Chic Night is the perfect compromise in my opinion.

Agreed!

All of the people that wear their hats backwards and do not have a clue that it is rude to even wear a hat indoors and those that are so ignorant that they wear their pajamas to the Breakfast Buffet have already destroyed the once beautiful event that was once known as "Formal Night". So I agree, I have no idea why they have an event called "Chic Night"! To many "Chic Night" is their chance to wear their new jeans that came 'pre-sliced', or their best motor cycle boots. PLEASE don't bother! Let the minions wear their best jeans and don't bother calling it by any other name. The once great "formal nights" are gone as the cruise lines bowed to the almighty dollar. Thank God for Cunard!

On what basis do you say jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner?

Jeans are widely worn when people dine out, don't see many tuxedos - unless perhaps it's the annual widget sales conference and awards ceremony.

I'm not sure why a slightly more relaxed dress code means that it will end in bathing costumes. As barmy as saying if you start taking Aspirin where will it end, crack?

Aspirin ... crack?

I think you missed the butt. And on certain women you get the extra of the whales tail with the butt and the jeans. Try holding your meal down with that image in four metre swells!

(Thats 16ft swells for the intellectually challenged folk of a certain sub-incontinent)

Aspirin ... crack?

Try holding your meal down with that image in four metre swells!

(Thats 16ft swells for the intellectually challenged folk of a certain sub-incontinent)

4 meters does not equal 16ft. It's 13ft 5 inches. Not sure you should be calling anyone intellectually challenged let alone part of the world.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nigel_c

Reinstate formal nights. Jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner. Yes, many people want to be more casual but where does it stop? Shorts, flip flops, swimwear, training shoes - cruise lines should police their dress policy, whatever it may be, then cruisers can be quite clear when booking the cruise as to how they should dress.

Jeans are acceptable dress for dinner except in your narrow, little mind. Celebrity has stated their dress code and if you do not like it, you should travel elsewhere.

Try holding your meal down with that image in four metre swells!

4 meter swells? Cruising for children. 15 meter swells? Now that is movement. :)

Aspirin ... crack?

I think you missed the butt. And on certain women you get the extra of the whales tail with the butt and the jeans. Try holding your meal down with that image in four metre swells!

(Thats 16ft swells for the intellectually challemnged folk of a certain sub-incontinent)

Improperly fitted jeans are no worse offenders than improperly fitted clothing of any other kind. I would argue that properly fitted jeans are much less an eyesore than someone who is squeezed into a dress that is 2 sizes too small.

As for your measurement skills - get yourself a calculator that does conversions. 4 metres equals approx 13 feet; not 16. :rolleyes: 4 metres swells a problem for you? Newbie.

Edited by mom says

Reinstate formal nights. Jeans are not acceptable dress for dinner. Yes, many people want to be more casual but where does it stop? Shorts, flip flops, swimwear, training shoes - cruise lines should police their dress policy, whatever it may be, then cruisers can be quite clear when booking the cruise as to how they should dress.

As someone who has worn jeans to dinner with no complaints, The wearer absolutely needs to maintain their class and decorum. A quality pair of non-distressed, non-faded jeans paired with an outfit that looks the part and only the pickiest of picky will notice, let alone complain; but I'd just as soon throw myself over the balcony than show in the MDR in jeans with a t-shirt and the Nike express.

It's just sort of funny jeans might cause a problem, but nobody would question the very tasteful dark suit I bought at Marshalls for $49. My formal-night go-to. :D

My rule is if I have to pause and ask myself if the outfit will be good enough, it's not.

Thanks !

The Celebrity dress policy is what it is. No one is disputing that. As to what "resort casual" and "chic" means, well despite their descriptions it's still subject to interpretation. What is offensive is how invested people on this board are in convincing everyone that they are right, it is the only "right" thing, and everyone must do the same. Personally, I prefer dressing up twice on a cruise and I like it when people dress well for dinner. Long sleeve collared shorts and slacks for men or smart slacks or dress for a woman, and a jacket or sparkly something on dressy nights. I travel Aqua and on the cruises I have been on I still see tuxes, and occasional white dinner jacket, and jackets on the "chic nights". Very few without. I'm glad that is my experience. It makes the evening special. It sets a tone. It's only two nights out of 7-14. There are alternatives for those that don't want to shower and dress nice to go to the dining room. That is my opinion. Is it the only "right" opinion? Of course not.

However, it does make me sad that people on this board complain about the decline in food, service, value.... but seem to feel they can demand more "luxury", but show up in their pajamas to get it.

The Celebrity dress policy is what it is. No one is disputing that. As to what "resort casual" and "chic" means, well despite their descriptions it's still subject to interpretation. What is offensive is how invested people on this board are in convincing everyone that they are right, it is the only "right" thing, and everyone must do the same. Personally, I prefer dressing up twice on a cruise and I like it when people dress well for dinner. Long sleeve collared shorts and slacks for men or smart slacks or dress for a woman, and a jacket or sparkly something on dressy nights. I travel Aqua and on the cruises I have been on I still see tuxes, and occasional white dinner jacket, and jackets on the "chic nights". Very few without. I'm glad that is my experience. It makes the evening special. It sets a tone. It's only two nights out of 7-14. There are alternatives for those that don't want to shower and dress nice to go to the dining room. That is my opinion. Is it the only "right" opinion? Of course not.

However, it does make me sad that people on this board complain about the decline in food, service, value.... but seem to feel they can demand more "luxury", but show up in their pajamas to get it.

Well said!

Jeans are acceptable dress for dinner except in your narrow, little mind. Celebrity has stated their dress code and if you do not like it, you should travel elsewhere.

I'm far from narrow minded. How far would you take this? Are shorts acceptable for dinner or swimwear? What about baseball caps? Yes, Celebrity have come up with this Casual Chic dress code to appeal to the American market and I have voted with my feet. My next cruise is on Siversea.

I'm far from narrow minded. How far would you take this? Are shorts acceptable for dinner or swimwear? What about baseball caps? Yes, Celebrity have come up with this Casual Chic dress code to appeal to the American market and I have voted with my feet. My next cruise is on Siversea.

Have fun! I hope everyone knows to dress just like you, I'd hate to see that cruise line ruined for you as well. Cheers!

Edited by galensgrl

Holier than thou much? Enjoy Cunard, we avoid the "stuffed shirt" line. Then again, we don't wear jeans...ever. Same goes for motorcycle gear. But way to look down on others. Glad we don't cruise the same lines, Mr Fancy Pants.

Edited by galensgrl

the celebrity dress policy is what it is. No one is disputing that. As to what "resort casual" and "chic" means, well despite their descriptions it's still subject to interpretation. What is offensive is how invested people on this board are in convincing everyone that they are right, it is the only "right" thing, and everyone must do the same. Personally, i prefer dressing up twice on a cruise and i like it when people dress well for dinner. Long sleeve collared shorts and slacks for men or smart slacks or dress for a woman, and a jacket or sparkly something on dressy nights. I travel aqua and on the cruises i have been on i still see tuxes, and occasional white dinner jacket, and jackets on the "chic nights". Very few without. I'm glad that is my experience. It makes the evening special. It sets a tone. It's only two nights out of 7-14. There are alternatives for those that don't want to shower and dress nice to go to the dining room. That is my opinion. Is it the only "right" opinion? Of course not.

however, it does make me sad that people on this board complain about the decline in food, service, value.... But seem to feel they can demand more "luxury", but show up in their pajamas to get it.

nailed it.

.... Yes, Celebrity have come up with this Casual Chic dress code to appeal to the American market and I have voted with my feet. My next cruise is on Siversea.

...meanwhile others maybe have decided that they'll give cruising a go and maybe try Celebrity as (1) they were previously put off by the idea of having to invest in a Tuxedo for 3 nights a year (2) they get the idea that these days dressing up doesn't necessarily have to mean ball gowns and polyester suits (3) they're not that bothered or are even glad that cruising isn't the same as it was way back when - and those people, being new cruisers will either be buying drinks or drink packages because they don't have Elite benefits

Edited by DYKWIA