Carry out or to go boxes at specialty dining?

Bengalfang

A few times we have had the dessert sent to our cabin because we were running late for a show. They would not let us carry it out but they wrapped it and had it delivered to our cabin. Not sure about food you didn't finish eating. One time when we were eating in the MDR, after ordering, my son didn't feel well and left. They wrapped his food up and delivered it to cabin, would not let me take it.

I've never seen carryout. I have seen them wrap things up, mostly desserts.

That said, other than dessert or maybe a salad, how would you reheat your food for safe consumption?

Guess I should have explained my situation. My parents are going on a cruise with me and staying in another cabin. For their 2 free at sea they are getting Internet and SPD. They don't care about upgraded dining so I'm trying to figure out a way to get the food from them to me.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

A few times we have had the dessert sent to our cabin because we were running late for a show. They would not let us carry it out but they wrapped it and had it delivered to our cabin. Not sure about food you didn't finish eating. One time when we were eating in the MDR, after ordering, my son didn't feel well and left. They wrapped his food up and delivered it to cabin, would not let me take it.

Thanks for the info. Interesting that they do that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Guess I should have explained my situation. My parents are going on a cruise with me and staying in another cabin. For their 2 free at sea they are getting Internet and SPD. They don't care about upgraded dining so I'm trying to figure out a way to get the food from them to me.

Why would they pick a promo that they have no intention of using?

Anyway, your plan of "they order and walk out with dinner..." probably won't work.

Bengal, maybe you could just use your mother's card and go in her place? I know they have photo ID but it might work anyway?

SDP meals can't be given to others. If what you suggest is tried, the staff has the right to not only charge full cost for the meal but to also revoke the remaining SDP meals without refund. It won't happen for an honest mistake but trying to "get over" isn't worth it.

I presume you mean SDP (Specialty Dining Package); the rules are quite clear that the package has to be used by the person it was provided to. Their room cards will have SDP embossed on them and the only way to use the SDP is for them to turn up at the restaurant, have their cards swiped, sit down and have the meal and then have their cards swiped at the end for the charge to be zeroed.

No Maitre d' would go against company policy in the way you want.

I suggest that your folks change their choice.

Why would they pick a promo that they have no intention of using?

Well they already selected internet as their 1st choice and they get 2. They don't drink alcohol. And It's still cheaper to use 3rd party company than to get $50 for shore excursions. So options are SDP (thanks for correction above) or get shore excursions and probably won't use it but won't have to pay gratuities like SDP.

Any other thoughts?

Well they already selected internet as their 1st choice and they get 2. They don't drink alcohol. And It's still cheaper to use 3rd party company than to get $50 for shore excursions. So options are SDP (thanks for correction above) or get shore excursions and probably won't use it but won't have to pay gratuities like SDP.

Any other thoughts?

They'd be better off with UBP even though they don't drink alcohol. They could get virgin drinks and/or sodas.

No matter how wonderful of a child you are, I can't imagine they are going to want to make reservations, sit and wait for their specialty meals to be delivered, ask for it to be packaged & delivered, then go sit somewhere else to wait for their real meals they plan to actually eat. My parents would tell me to take a flying leap if I asked something like that of them. Then again, I wouldn't dream of asking.

They might not care about upgraded dining, but since they have it, they might as well use it.

No matter how wonderful of a child you are, I can't imagine they are going to want to make reservations, sit and wait for their specialty meals to be delivered, ask for it to be packaged & delivered, then go sit somewhere else to wait for their real meals they plan to actually eat. My parents would tell me to take a flying leap if I asked something like that of them. Then again, I wouldn't dream of asking.

They might not care about upgraded dining, but since they have it, they might as well use it.

Well I was more asking about carry out but yes I've come to the conclusion that you did. Case closed! Thanks for all the info/feedback from all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Especially as they've now been called boring on a public forum. :)

As others said, there's no logistically viable way for them to use the SDP perk without eating in the restaurant. That being said, if they simply don't want to eat without you there are two options. 1. If you don't want to pay any extra 1 parent and u should be able to eat at the restaurant on a credit. When we were there they only ran one card, so one card has to be there's, but doubt if they would care if u at w then instead of parent 2. Or 2. You can either pick the SDP as your perk or if you don't get a perk you could purchase the SDP in the number of meals you want and all 3 of you can eat there.

At the end of the day if they have no interest in the specialty dining then pick the internet and shore excursions. True, they won't use the shore excursion credit, but they won't have to pay a service charge to get it like the SDP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Any other thoughts?

The Gratuities are paid for in their final payment, so eat at the specialty restaurant or not the fee is already paid.

Ok so you are staying in separate cabins - what did you pick for your promo(s)? Just pick SDP yourself or just pay as you go. And if they don't care about it they could pick something else (or choose nothing) since the SDP adds a nominal fee for gratuities.

I am not sure how to say this,but IMHO,taking food from a restaurant in carry out boxes seems a bit....how should I say this ....tacky.

You sound .... how shall I say this ... judgmental. I take carry out boxes all the time. Restaurant portions tend to be huge and I don't like to waste food.

Isn't referring to someone as judgmental also judgmental?

We all make judgments throughout our day, it's human nature. Sometimes those judgments are reasonable and sometimes those judgments are unnecessarily harsh. Why is someone tacky because they choose to take with them the food they paid for? I don't understand that thinking. Let's discuss :)

We all make judgments throughout our day, it's human nature. Sometimes those judgments are reasonable and sometimes those judgments are unnecessarily harsh. Why is someone tacky because they choose to take with them the food they paid for? I don't understand that thinking. Let's discuss :)

Dining on cruise ships tries to mimick fine dining restaurants on land. There are plenty of casual sit down restaurants that also offer take out. However, more upscale restaurants usually don't offer take out as an option.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with bringing leftovers home - I rarely finish my meal, and no longer allow DH to eat my future lunch. I can't see taking leftovers, besides maybe dessert, from a restaurant on a cruise ship, no way to heat items up, plus there are so many fresh food options.