Round trip cruises stopping in Canada for ex-felon

damiross

Watch the "Canadian Border Security" show on Netflix....it doesn't show cruise ships, but it does show how border security agents search American criminal records databases going back years at airports and land crossings. Something as simple as a past DUI can cause you to be declared inadmissible to Canada. It's worth contacting an embassy to ask about the paperwork to fill out beforehand - I think it's called Rehabilitation.

Now that this idiotic site knows I'm not a robot I can post a repy but I don't feel like retyping the whole thing.

So, if you are a felon, or an ex-felon, you may or not be denied entry to our wonderful country. Think of it as just another spin at the Roulette Wheel!

And it's not that much different than the roulette wheel we face when entering the US.

You do realize that the Canadian government has computer systems just as modern as your American ones, right? It's not as if they had some poor clerk down in a cellar manually entering every cruiser's name and data into a logbook.

I think you misunderstood what he was saying. It's perfectly understandable that not everyone knows USA and Canada share criminal history info.

However, I don't know if the USA is as strict as preventing EX-felons from visiting.

Not sure why you emphasize "EX." As others have already pointed out, a felon is a felon. Putting the word "ex" in front of it does not take away from the fact a convicted felon is still a convicted felon.

On the old show "The Rockford Files" a character would occasionally refer to P.I. Rockford as a felon. He would always respond, "EX-felon. I received a full pardon from the governor." If one has been convicted of a felony and but later pardoned, he or she could accurately be referred to as an EX-felon, I believe. I have no idea how being pardoned affects one's ability to visit Canada. I just love James Garner and "Rockford". :)

You do realize that the Canadian government has computer systems just as modern as your American ones, right? It's not as if they had some poor clerk down in a cellar manually entering every cruiser's name and data into a logbook.

Whew,, What brought this on?

Not sure why you emphasize "EX." As others have already pointed out, a felon is a felon. Putting the word "ex" in front of it does not take away from the fact a convicted felon is still a convicted felon.

The OP might have emphasized 'Ex' a wee bit in the first post. What has really been overemphasized here in this thread has been the ' a felon is always a felon' stuff. Once or twice is OK, but your post is the forth post saying exactly the same thing!!!! (That’s a ! for each post.)

Let's have a new rule around here, shall we. You can second a previous posters point but that's it. No more going on and on and on about the same thing over and over and over again. That should cut the post count down by about 50% around here. ;).

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all you non-felons and non-ex-felons out there. :D

LOL :D

But the roulette wheel they use for me always lands on GREEN. :D

I love my NEXUS.<3

Hi there

Everything is fine in until you are told "Sorry, your Nexus card privileges are revoked, please apply again"

Hi there

Everything is fine in until you are told "Sorry, your Nexus card privileges are revoked, please apply again"

Or until I get run over by a school bus. Not sure which is more likely to happen first.

I can't control either, so why worry about it.

• 1 month later...

I have a DUI on my record from 2008. It was municipal and it's recorded as an Ordinance Violation in the municipality. Canada regards it as a felony and I was denied Canadian Rehabilitation. I was able to find some wonderful people in Canada who were able to help me obtain the Rehabilitation needed to be able to go on my cruise next month without worry. Anyone who would like a referral should email me at sun underscore lovin1 at yahoo. I will answer any questions. I wish I had known 8 months ago what I know now and I could have avoided a bunch of anxiety.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forums mobile app

• 3 months later...
I know this is an old thread, but... why if someone was a felon and did their time would they be arrested and removed in hand cuffs

I believe the poster who offered those examples (of things that can happen if your name is flagged at the border) was talking about people with outstanding warrants (and such) re: the handcuffs. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

They made it sound like a less-common occurrence than merely being denied entry.

I know this is an old thread, but... why if someone was a felon and did their time would they be arrested and removed in hand cuffs

Unless the Canadian officials deem the felon "rehabilitated" they are not allowed into Canada. If they enter Canada anyway, it's against the law.

While we're on the subject, drunk driving/DWI/DUI is a felony in Canada, so if you have such an offense on your record you may be denied entry.

Really? Wow. Traveled with my DH last year on a cruise to Canada. He had a DUI 40 some years ago. Never had any issues. Maybe because it was from so long ago?

Laura

Only if there is an outstanding warrant. Otherwise, Canada like the US and many other countries denies entry to those who have committed or were convicted of certain acts considered criminal in the country (Canada).

Really? Wow. Traveled with my DH last year on a cruise to Canada. He had a DUI 40 some years ago. Never had any issues. Maybe because it was from so long ago?

Laura

Possibly. See Deemed Rehabilityation, http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/inadmissibility/conviction.asp.

Laura

As well as the possibility of having been Deemed Rehabilitated (strong after 40 years), the only records that get searched are those which have been uploaded to a searchable database. US NCIC records and Canadian CPIC are mutually-shared - and if his DUI resulted in a suspension, in theory it should also be on the NDR which I believe is also shared with Canada (so we can add speeding tickets etc. to US drivers licenses and vice versa).

Depending where the offence occurred, his records might be stuck in a dusty box on a shelf in a room with no plan to ever upload them - some State/County/Municipal/Sheriff records aren't on NCIC - or he could suddenly find that his old DUI resurfaces if that jurisdiction comes into enough money/manpower to afford to upload old records!

At least you can now claim to be married to a Bad Boy - while in Canada he was a real Felon, not just a Misdemeanour-doer;-)

Edited by martincath
double-spacing

On the old show "The Rockford Files" a character would occasionally refer to P.I. Rockford as a felon. He would always respond, "EX-felon. I received a full pardon from the governor." If one has been convicted of a felony and but later pardoned, he or she could accurately be referred to as an EX-felon, I believe. I have no idea how being pardoned affects one's ability to visit Canada. I just love James Garner and "Rockford". :)

Yes but that was before SCMODS, and he'd probably flag today.

I did the Blaine crossing with my 82 year old uncle, 80 year old auntie, 46 year old wife and 47 year old me.

We got sent to secondary inspection, they tore thru my van, deflated the tires on my race bicycle, and stuck us there for 2.5 hours. Why ? Because we are from Seattle and could have marijuana in the car.

I was going for an Ironman. CBP are worse than reserve cops. Morons.

oh and SCMODS = State County Municipal Offender Data Systems. It's real.

The OP might have emphasized 'Ex' a wee bit in the first post. What has really been overemphasized here in this thread has been the ' a felon is always a felon' stuff. Once or twice is OK, but your post is the forth post saying exactly the same thing!!!! (That’s a ! for each post.)

Let's have a new rule around here, shall we. You can second a previous posters point but that's it. No more going on and on and on about the same thing over and over and over again. That should cut the post count down by about 50% around here. ;).

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all you non-felons and non-ex-felons out there. :D

Sometimes people reply to an earlier post in a thread, not realizing that a page or two later, someone else, or several people have also replied the same way.

Such is life on forums/boards.

I don't understand why the U.S doesn't use the same system as Sweden. When someone is born in Sweden he/she gets a personal number, it's your date of birth + four extra numbers. Mine is 810413 - **** and I'm the only one with this number. It follows me during my whole life, even if I change my name.

I don't understand why the U.S doesn't use the same system as Sweden. When someone is born in Sweden he/she gets a personal number, it's your date of birth + four extra numbers. Mine is 810413 - **** and I'm the only one with this number. It follows me during my whole life, even if I change my name.

It does. It's called a Social Security Number and you have to get them for your newborn kids by the time you claim them on your taxes.

But no one besides me have that number. If I was convicted it would turn up by just entering my number. It doesn't matter if 1000 other people have the same name, are born the same day in the same town.

Each person has their own Social Security number, also.

But I don't believe it can be used to track convictions/illegal stuff. Probably could be set up that way, but it's not.

Our numbers are on our ID, passports & DL. That's why it's easy to identify who is who, even if there's several with the same name.

What can you do with that number? Vote? Claim Government benefits? Apply for a bank account or a loan?

Thirty or forty years ago people used to be more willing to share their Social Security numbers. It was common (for service members, at least) to have it printed on your checks since it was often requested when writing a check at the military shopping centers. Colleges would use the student's SSN as a student ID. Then it became clearer that one's financial identity is tied to their SSN. If I know your number I can claim to be you and borrow money in your name.