Long wait at the Airport - is it acceptable?

We are a family of 9 (16 - 76 yrs) booked on a Fly-Cruise with Royal Caribbean in August. We have early morning flights out of the UK which suits us fine, however our return flight is 10.05 pm. I emailed Royal Caribbean to ask what the arrangements would be for the last day and they have replied saying we will be taken to the airport at the very latest by 10 am - meaning over a 12 hour wait at the airport :o. Just wondering what your views are of this and if anyone has experienced anything like it before?

Thank you

In Europe, some ships do have an extended departure option where you can stay onboard until well after lunch. However, you would most likely have to make your own transfer arrangements in that case.

Unfortunately that sounds right. Likely they took the cheapest flight back to the UK, meaning the latest time. One thing you can do is ask if there is an earlier flight, without increasing how much you pay. Also you can ask for any post cruise excursions with airport drop-off (depending on where you're cruising from). These typically will end up dropping you off at the airport around 1pm or 2pm - so it lessens the amount of time you have to wait at the airport. Lastly instead of taking Royal Caribbean to the airport, you could look into renting a car and doing some more sightseeing on your own (again depending on where you're cruising from).

Most flights that I aware of to that part of Europe leave the US between 6 and 10. If they were earlier the plane would land in the middle of the night when the airport is closed.

So I am not sure if you can get one earlier.

Most flights that I aware of to that part of Europe leave the US between 6 and 10. If they were earlier the plane would land in the middle of the night when the airport is closed.

So I am not sure if you can get one earlier.

OP is from Wales and is probably talking about a European cruise.;)

Biker, who also forgets that there are non US posters on this board.

OP is from Wales and is probably talking about a European cruise.;)

Biker, who also forgets that there are non US posters on this board.

That's what I was thinking, seeing as there would be more RC ships in Europe in August than in the US.

However, it would be helpful to know the disembakration port.

Without knowing the departure port it's difficult, however if it is from the US then they are always late. Hanging around is a pain. We always have this issue. Rent a car, take a trip or sit it out.

Without knowing the departure port it's difficult, however if it is from the US then they are always late. Hanging around is a pain. We always have this issue. Rent a car, take a trip or sit it out.

Renting a car will be hard with 9 people. (It's going to have to be a really BIG car).:eek:

It would help if you said where you were flying from but if it's the US then the flights do tend to be later so look into booking a day room somewhere in Miami or wherever you're travelling from. If it's from Europe sorry but you could have probably booked your flights cheaper by doing it yourselves and choosing better times. Unfortunately you just have to accept what you're given when you book via the cruise company - and they will always go with the cheapest flights which are often at the worst times :(

We are a family of 9 (16 - 76 yrs) booked on a Fly-Cruise with Royal Caribbean in August. We have early morning flights out of the UK which suits us fine, however our return flight is 10.05 pm. I emailed Royal Caribbean to ask what the arrangements would be for the last day and they have replied saying we will be taken to the airport at the very latest by 10 am - meaning over a 12 hour wait at the airport :o. Just wondering what your views are of this and if anyone has experienced anything like it before?

Thank you

Give us a clue.... where are you flying to/from......then we may be able to help you [emoji848]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Late flights are a PAIN IN THE ARSE! Totally. You will be OFF the ship by 10am at the LATEST....that's a long day to spend "killing time".

Try to get an earlier flight, if there is one. If you can't...look into a day room at a hotel with a pool. That gives you a "place to be", with showers, tv, pool, restaurants.....makes killing time much easier.

We did a late flight like that once.....once bitten, twice shy. I will NEVER, EVER do that again!

I would go to the airport and then rent a car for the day and go around Florida. We did that in Boston waiting on a late flight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We had a late flight in March after our Allure cruise. We went to the Fort Lauderdale airport and rented a car for the day and went down to Miami for lunch and some sightseeing along Miami Beach. Enjoyed the day and came back to the airport at 5pm for our 7pm flight. A cheap excursion!

Thank you

your only option is to book an excursion on departure day through the cruise line which includes drop off at the airport. in US airports you will NOT be allowed to check your luggage until much closer to departure time.. typically 4-6 hours for international flights. and the section of airport that you must wait isn until then has zero amenities( not even a Loo, unless you run down to baggage claim)

by booking air through the cruise line, you are subject to basically the most inconvenient options out there.

or, skip that altogether and rent a car for the day.

FLL is an awful airport to hang out in for hours, if that is the airport you are flying into. The terminals can get overcrowded, and there just isn't much there to do once you clear TSA. I would either book a tour, or rent a car for the day. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had an 8:30pm flight out of Fort Lauderdale a couple weeks ago after our cruise. We rented two cars for about $45 each for the day to get around and to store our luggage in for the day. We parked the cars at the parking garage downtown where the water taxi picks up, purchased water taxi tickets for the day and had a fantastic time on the water taxi touring Fort Lauderdale, viewing the homes, getting on and off the water taxi for meals and a bit of shopping. It was a fantastic ending to a great cruise. Good way to spend the day in my mind.

Check hotels that may be close to your airport, see if they book day rooms. We have a late flight out of Orlando on our next cruise and have booked a day room for $99. That will allow us to have a swim, have a shower, take a nap, have some place to store our items. Its a place to relax before the flight and not have to just hang out at the airport.