Cruise oversold

Would someone please enlighten me about this? I've read about the "guaranteed" cabin in other threads, and I've never really understood the whys or the wherefores.... When I book a cruise, usually online, I select my cabin right then. Under what circumstances would someone get a "guaranteed cabin" and why would anyone do this? Thank you for making me a wee bit smarter... :)

Hi.

Sometimes a guarantee is all that's available for a category.

My husband and I have a Grand Suite Guarantee for Anthem of the Seas.

There was no other way for us to book a suite.

This cruise isn't until January 2018 so I've been checking almost daily to see if we have a cabin.

After reading this thread it made me a bit nervous.

Noreen

This makes me kind of nervous. Sail Allure on the 30th and still no room assignment, while I see others on the same sailing have. We have an inside GTY for 3. When i go to do a mock booking there are no inside or ocean views available for 3, and only a few balcony cabins left. I'm sure all will be OK, but we've booked GTY cabins for years and never been this close w/o a room assignment.

Good luck to you, and hope everything works out in your favor!

On the site I look at, there are 4 promenade insides left on Your Allure cruise. I'd call them right now and secure your cabin...tell them you feel they are already overbooked and that you want your cabin assigned immediately!

Would someone please enlighten me about this? I've read about the "guaranteed" cabin in other threads, and I've never really understood the whys or the wherefores.... When I book a cruise, usually online, I select my cabin right then. Under what circumstances would someone get a "guaranteed cabin" and why would anyone do this? Thank you for making me a wee bit smarter... :)

To illustrate and expand on what Bob said, back when I was looking to book a triple occupancy cabin on the Allure 5/28/17 sailing, the option to select a guaranty cabin popped up. The option to book a guarantee cabin assignment is not offered on all sailings, may only be offered for a short window of time, and is very rare to be offered for a triple occupancy cabin.

In my case, selecting the inside guaranty over picking an inside cabin resulted in almost $1200 savings! I grabbed it and booked back on January 30th. Within 2 hours, the triple guarantee option was no longer available and hasn't been offered since. But a lower double occupancy guarantee rate has been offered a couple of times since and I called and was able to get two price reductions on my triple, for an additional $400 savings. Sweet!

Now for the bad part. I still don't have a cabin assignment and, based upon another site I keep scanning, there are very few triples left. This 5/28/17 Allure sailing is showing up in next week's GGG sale flyer but only for categories D3 and GS. So, hopefully, they are saving an inside to be assigned to me. :o.

This is the first time I've ever done a guarantee (and my first inside since the 1970's). As a bit of a control freak, I've been more than a little anxious waiting for a cabin assignment. Now knowing that they can overbook and bump "locals" :eek:, I'm even more nervous.

~ Judy

Edited by FloridaPalms

Thats terrible. How can 400 obc be sufficient? You would lose money rebooking your flights. The change fee is 150-200 per ticket per person. Really sorry to hear you go through this. I think I would be in tears. I hope if theyre not able to offer you a room they will refund your money and offer compensation for the hotels and flights you already booked!

I never worried in the past about booking a GTY but now I'm having second thoughts

We were given an inside room instead of our balcony. First found out on the website the Friday before our Sunday cruise when a cabin number popped up along with a post for the need to pay more for the room. Guess they wanted my balcony discount back plus another $100 or so to make the room switch.

I don't get this-can you please elaborate? Are you saying you booked a balcony guarantee room and were given an inside room and had to pay more money? This doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I am missing some vital information. I thought when you book a guarantee room, they have to give you a room in that category, at a minimum?

Thats terrible. How can 400 obc be sufficient? You would lose money rebooking your flights. The change fee is 150-200 per ticket per person. Really sorry to hear you go through this. I think I would be in tears. I hope if theyre not able to offer you a room they will refund your money and offer compensation for the hotels and flights you already booked!

I never worried in the past about booking a GTY but now I'm having second thoughts

Original Poster got assigned a cabin on deck 8. So they will be sailing on the Serenade tomorrow.

I don't get this-can you please elaborate? Are you saying you booked a balcony guarantee room and were given an inside room and had to pay more money? This doesn't make sense to me, but maybe I am missing some vital information. I thought when you book a guarantee room, they have to give you a room in that category, at a minimum?

It used to say "in that category or above".....:loudcry:

Original Poster got assigned a cabin on deck 8. So they will be sailing on the Serenade tomorrow.

oh thank you for pointing that out. I only read the first page of this thread. Glad it all worked out :D

Great news! We got a room! Its on Deck 8 and not obstructed. God is good!

I didn't really hear the details about the $400 onboard credit because my mind was about to explode.

I just called and asked if they were able to assign us a room yet and she said yes.

Glad I stood my ground and said no.

They definitely need to fix this though.

Thanks for your comments and support. :D

Glad for the good outcome. But, me being paranoid, I think I'd get to the port early and be one of the first to check in just in case the cabin is double booked. :)

I am glad it turned out fine, but wow, I can't imagine the stress involved. I don't think I will ever book a GTY cabin after reading this story. When I book a vacation, I have to go a a particular time. There is so much involved in planning a cruise that having the cruise line boot me off at the last minute would be unacceptable.

On the site I look at, there are 4 promenade insides left on Your Allure cruise. I'd call them right now and secure your cabin...tell them you feel they are already overbooked and that you want your cabin assigned immediately!

Do they sleep 3?

Great news! We got a room! Its on Deck 8 and not obstructed. God is good!

I didn't really hear the details about the $400 onboard credit because my mind was about to explode.

I just called and asked if they were able to assign us a room yet and she said yes.

Glad I stood my ground and said no.

They definitely need to fix this though.

Thanks for your comments and support. :D

Excellent outcome, very glad it worked out. Feel bad for whoever lost out on their cruise.

let me see if I understand this, you paid and got a room #, then before you board they call you and say your room went to some one else ? how cant they expect you to deal with the cost of dealing with air line tickets and hotels you already booked too ?

The OP's post was a little odd. Whoever they talked with would never disclose how many reservations were oversold.

Also this is extremely common in the airline and hotel Industry. In your passenger contract it is usually worded as "VDB" Voluntary Denied Boarding.

And there are set guidelines in play for this very situation.

This is also a covered event with most trip interruption policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To illustrate and expand on what Bob said, back when I was looking to book a triple occupancy cabin on the Allure 5/28/17 sailing, the option to select a guaranty cabin popped up. The option to book a guarantee cabin assignment is not offered on all sailings, may only be offered for a short window of time, and is very rare to be offered for a triple occupancy cabin.

In my case, selecting the inside guaranty over picking an inside cabin resulted in almost $1200 savings! I grabbed it and booked back on January 30th. Within 2 hours, the triple guarantee option was no longer available and hasn't been offered since. But a lower double occupancy guarantee rate has been offered a couple of times since and I called and was able to get two price reductions on my triple, for an additional $400 savings. Sweet!

Now for the bad part. I still don't have a cabin assignment and, based upon another site I keep scanning, there are very few triples left. This 5/28/17 Allure sailing is showing up in next week's GGG sale flyer but only for categories D3 and GS. So, hopefully, they are saving an inside to be assigned to me. :o.

This is the first time I've ever done a guarantee (and my first inside since the 1970's). As a bit of a control freak, I've been more than a little anxious waiting for a cabin assignment. Now knowing that they can overbook and bump "locals" :eek:, I'm even more nervous.

~ Judy

I've booked a GTY triple occupancy but didnt realize you can actually get a price difference if a double occupancy GTY popped up? I thought it had to be apples to apples comparison. How would you do the math on that?

~ Judy

Don't panic. We are on the Oasis 5/21 and just got my assignment today. I was assigned a category that had been sold out for 7+ weeks, which tells me they held an allotted number of cabins back for assignment or they assigned me as soon as somebody cancelled. I checked several times a day for months waiting for my assignment. It is the longest I have ever waited.

I'm happy with my assignment, deck 8 on the hump :).

Also this is extremely common in the airline and hotel Industry. In your passenger contract it is usually worded as "VDB" Voluntary Denied Boarding.

And there are set guidelines in play for this very situation.

I have a Royal Caribbean Cruise contract in front of me... where do I find this wording?

Yikes...so sorry OP on your situation. Hope it finally works out for you.

I guess that is another reason I won't book a guarantee cabin. Very upsetting indeed.

I guess the cruise industry needs to change the name to something other than Guarantee.

I guess the cruise industry needs to change the name to something other than Guarantee.

It's called guarantee because of what it's supposed to mean. The reason some people (maybe most people who do) book a gty cabin is the fact that it's supposed to be that you're guaranteed at least a cabin in the category you select and could get a higher category, so some play roulette hoping to get upgraded. We have never booked a guarantee (and never will) so we get the cabin we select. We're off tomorrow on GR in the cabin we selected a year ago while onboard Anthem. :D

This thread makes me nervous. I have an Oceanview guarantee booked for Freedom in July. I haven't received a room assignment yet. I wonder if they booted me if they would refund airfare too since I booked through them?

Time will tell.