Did you know Celebrity can "bump" you from your cabin?

p18750

I can say the only thing I was originally offered was my cruise fare refunded with no penalties. I was given no option of retaining my existing cabin assignment but was rather informed my cabin had been assigned to someone else. When I looked up my reservation on celebritycruises.com I found my reservation had been cancelled as of April 11.

After what appears to be significant effort by my TA I was given a Cat 2 veranda cabin (not the original Concierge Class) and I am once again on the cruise. My experience dealing with Celebrity customer service is they have no policy and it is up to your TA to look out for you.

Am glad you are sailing, hope you have a great trip. I assume they (Celebrity) refunded the difference between the CC and Cat 2 cabin? Did they at least give you any OBC for the extra annoyance they caused?

I'll add one more thing here. Be sure you have a really good TA to go to bat for you...not sure the big box travel sites will do that. I had a cruise booked on Azamara that got chartered out after I booked. Granted, it was 2 years out but I did tell my TA what I would counter and she went to bat for me.

I'm really sorry to read all the stress this has caused for so many...horrible experience and X should do something to make sure this never happens again. It's very shameful on their part to say the least.

I wish a Celebrity representative would post on this thread to explain what exactly happened to cause this stress and upset to their fully paid up customers. Also, how do they decide who will be the 'unlucky ones' to be bumped off? Surely it should be the last minute bookers not those that booked way in advance.

I always book at least a year out, and then make my own independent travel arrangements around that booking. As far as I am concerned that booking is set in stone, especially as I book via the UK and have no option of cancelling (without losing my deposit) if I change my mind. But not so, it seems.

At least this year I have booked my first cruise leaving from Southampton, but I would still be devastated if this happened but the fallout would be less.

We need an explanation.

I wish a Celebrity representative would post on this thread to explain what exactly happened to cause this stress and upset to their fully paid up customers. Also, how do they decide who will be the 'unlucky ones' to be bumped off? Surely it should be the last minute bookers not those that booked way in advance

Well, you would think so, but that's too straight forward I guess ..:rolleyes:

Why are people being bumped? Who is replacing them?

Would like to hear from Celebrity Cruises or CEO rep as to what is going on...

never heard of this over many yrs if cruising X...only when ship is chartered and everyone is cancelled but not individual bumps..

I have a theory:

The President's Cruise sets sail on May 5th.

Maybe the bumped cabins are being prepared for the 'Miami suits!'

We have our first Celebrity cruise scheduled for September and have a sweet sixteen cabin booked. I am hoping that this situation is a one off event and that we aren't given the Friendly Skies treatment like a April Celebrity Cruiser. What a headache, not a good way to start a vacation.

I've been a NCL cruiser for a while. I was looking to try a different cruise line next year. Phew! This turns me off! I hope this is a one time thing and not a example of their Standard Operating Procedure.

So glad we have given up on Celebrity. Over the past 25 years we have seen their priority change from customer service to profit and an overall decline in the experience.

So glad we have given up on Celebrity. Over the past 25 years we have seen their priority change from customer service to profit and an overall decline in the experience.

Any successful business must focus on profits. Successful businesses provide products and services that attract customers. Apparently, you were somewhat unhappy with X's products and services.

Sorry to hear that, since we have enjoyed all nine of our X cruises in the past 6 years. Still, competition is good and we keep our ear to the ground for better deals. We still cruise on NCL, when they offer great deals. NCL can't match Celebrity in service or dining, but their prices are increasingly lower than X's, and their food quality is improving.

I wish a Celebrity representative would post on this thread to explain what exactly happened to cause this stress and upset to their fully paid up customers. Also, how do they decide who will be the 'unlucky ones' to be bumped off? Surely it should be the last minute bookers not those that booked way in advance.

I always book at least a year out, and then make my own independent travel arrangements around that booking. As far as I am concerned that booking is set in stone, especially as I book via the UK and have no option of cancelling (without losing my deposit) if I change my mind. But not so, it seems.

At least this year I have booked my first cruise leaving from Southampton, but I would still be devastated if this happened but the fallout would be less.

We need an explanation.

Celebrity Official mostly posts copy and paste from the website..but I wonder if conversations were more informative on the soc media sites?????

Best to cruise close to home if you can or use SW or other airlines that give air credit if plans fall through..Glad we went with SW for our upcoming Pacific Coastal on Infinity in the fall, .just in case it is one if the ships that may be sold.. flying SW from our local airport means we cannot fly non stop but no stress over airfare cruise is cancelled

Although it's nice that the Celebrity rep does occasionally chime in and respond to a thread here on CC, I've noticed that the subject matter of those threads tend to have a much softer "tone" and are never very controversial. Celebrity would never respond with an explanation to something as controversial and detrimental to Celebrity as this topic has been.

At least that's been my observation.

Thx!

I agree that Celebrity is not going to respond to the specifics of what happened to a particular cruiser. But it would be nice if they would come on here and state the policy on how they handle overbooking and what the selection criteria is IF someone is involuntarily denied boarding. These policies are pretty public on airlines as it is a much more frequent occurrence.

Niagrawine,

Thank you for the support and email. I'm sure we will never know what really happened on this fiasco. But I would like to find out how many people got the same call the three here on cruise critic did on being bumped.

Kitcito

Yes, it does make you wonder how many more pax were bumped as such a small percentage of cruisers are on CC. So sorry for all the distress you have had to experience with this whole fiasco. One wonders what X were thinking dropping news such as this at such short notice - or did they even consider the effects of their decision.

Review Your Travel Agent on a social media page is a great way to evaluate the good, the bad and the ugly of Travel Agents. Some TA's are just $$$ collectors while others are AMAZING at creating a memorable vacation experience. There is no way to know who to go to. Thankfully the Social Media and great sites like this help advise passengers of some of the pitfalls of traveling.

I'll add one more thing here. Be sure you have a really good TA to go to bat for you...not sure the big box travel sites will do that. I had a cruise booked on Azamara that got chartered out after I booked. Granted, it was 2 years out but I did tell my TA what I would counter and she went to bat for me.

I'm really sorry to read all the stress this has caused for so many...horrible experience and X should do something to make sure this never happens again. It's very shameful on their part to say the least.

We're sorry about this unusual situation, and we will work with our guests to make this right. This includes providing them with a full refund and a future cruise credit so they may sail with us soon.

Thank you for replying to this post. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be that 'unusual' as many cruises seem to suddenly disappear when chartered by someone else ...

Many of us book 15 months in advance to make sure that we get the cabin and cruise that we want as we are limited to when we can sail. Not sure if Celebrity get that. Sailing with the cruise line again is ok but it doesn't fill us with reassurance.

When you've waited 15 months a full refund really is not good enough as a late change means that it is almost impossible to book another holiday / cruise as some passengers are limited to a certain time. It really is not that easy to change.

Oh well ------- we have just booked another cruise for August 2018 after the original one was cancelled and are trusting that lightening won't strike twice in the same place !

We were offered a bump by Holland America about 10 years ago. We bargained up from a room with a pothole for 7 days (0bviously a pretty old ship even then). We ended up in a balcony for 10 days on a newer ship. They paid the airline change fee. We also picked the dates we wanted. I'm an accountant and I have very specific time frames that work for me.

We were offered a bump by Holland America about 10 years ago. We bargained up from a room with a pothole for 7 days (0bviously a pretty old ship even then). We ended up in a balcony for 10 days on a newer ship. They paid the airline change fee. We also picked the dates we wanted. I'm an accountant and I have very specific time frames that work for me.

It must have been a really old ship with a pothole :p...lol. I'm sure as others have stated, there would have been several pax, like yourself, that would have been willing to come to some mutual arrangement - it's the way this has been handled (same with the United incident) that I think has amazed everyone.

I can only base my opinion on my experiences.I was more than satisfied with what Celebrity did when I have experienced a cancelled cruise (Century), missed ports (many), laundry problems (placing dry cleaning through the washer) and other situations. I just received two Future Cruise certificates for an incident on the Mardi Gras Cruise. I have only reported situations and never asked for compensation. Several times I've been asked what I wanted and my response is always: "Whatever you think is right". I trust them to do the right thing and unlike another line, they've never disappointed me..

We just got notified by our travel agent today that we had been bumped from our cabin on the Transatlantic cruise from Miami to Southampton leaving on April 16. We booked this several months ago, had a cabin assignment, printed our Xpress pass, received luggage tags and our bags were packed but Celebrity has now given our cabin to someone else.

I had no idea this was even possible but apparently this is happening to several people on this cruise.

This really stinks. I hope everything gets worked out for you.

I read on CC while back about a couple who flew all the way to Sydney for a cruise on the Solstice only to be told AT CHECK-IN that they didn't have a cabin and were turned away.:o

It could be worse but yes, I can totally understand how frustrating this must be for you to have to replan vacation mere days before launch. Kind of turns your world upside down. I hate when stuff like that happens. I like things orderly and on time.

We're sorry about this unusual situation, and we will work with our guests to make this right. This includes providing them with a full refund and a future cruise credit so they may sail with us soon.

While it is nice that Celebrity responded, there really is nothing that can make right the fact that a week prior to align, people can bumped off a cruise. Most plan their vacations months in advance, & make air & hotel arrangements way in advance, which in many cases are not refundable. Shame on Celebrity.

In the past year we have had three cruises canceled by Celebrity with the last one being 2 weeks before we were to leave for San Juan to board the Summit. In this situation I hope Celebrity gives you a better future cruise credit than the 25% of our fare we received for this last cancelation especially since the ship is still sailing but was overbooked. If this is modern luxury, it's not working for us.