Two M-Class Ships for Sale?

TexSea

The First ship is the Summit and the Second Ship is the Constellation.

The First Ship is the Summit because it was built in 2001 and has a passenger capacity of 2158 pax. The only other M class ship constructed in 2001 was the Infinity but it has a pax capacity of 2170.

The second ship was built in 2002 and the only M class ship built then was the Connie.

Please please no applause just send cash :cool:;p

We've booked our first cruise on Connie for next year after being on the Silhouette 3 times. Have to admit we love the P&O Oceana (same era) and thought Connie was lovely tonight sailing out of Malta. How sad will it be if these smaller beautiful ships are lost to either cruise line ...

We have sailed P&O Britannia and that is big enough for us -- those mega ships just are not cruising for us but huge amusement parks ... very sad.

Good on Venice for banning them - it means that they have to keep some of the smaller ones !

But the rumor of the sale of these two ships had, for now, been debunked. Go back and read the whole thread.

Sorry, had read lots of it and thought I was up to date --------- life is more than busy so don't tend to check it all out every day re exactly what has been said by who, what and when since I last checked.

Forgive me ............ chill

But the rumor of the sale of these two ships had, for now, been debunked. Go back and read the whole thread.

Has it?

Someone spoke to someone on board a ship who said it wasn't happening. If that person was the Chief Executive or Chairman of the cruise line fair enough, otherwise there's plenty of examples cited on these boards of senior ship staff supposedly giving out incorrect information or not being up to speed with the latest policy or dictat from Head Office.

An advert for two Celebrity Ships up for sale would appear to be Prima Facie evidence that is the case.

I recall many years ago the owner of One of the biggest luxury hotel chains said that even though there is no "for sale" out front of any of their hotels, if the right amount if money is put on the table everyone of their properties could be sold overnight.

The original discussion arose from someone posting two blurred M class ships being advertised for sale on a shipping brokers website. I agree that unless the comment about ships not being for sale was made by senior X executives then a comment by ships company should be taken as water cooler gossip. I raised the issue with the South Pacific regional manager a couple of weeks ago and he comment was at $400 million and $350 million each the price was cheap and he like us could only speculate which ones were on the block

It was a senior executive who debunked the rumor. She was on board Silhouette on embarkation day in Florida.

The post you refer to (I think) is the one built on a LOT of hearsay ( hearsay on hearsay on hearsay) - Another poster said they had lunch with an unnamed female Senior Executive" on a ship who then went and asked someone else (so this Senior Executive didn't know themselves) who then apparently said (presumably not in the hearing of the poster) that they weren't for sale.

I have no idea whether it is Company Policy to discuss the possible sale of 1/2 billion dollar ships with their passengers over lunch.

In recent years ships that have been "sold" seemed to be sold to ships with which the wider Royal Caribbean Group have financial interest - Tui / Thomson , Pullmantur, Skysea - so even when they sell them the Royal Caribbean Group isn't shrinking.

I was at the same luncheon. However I remember the denials when Century was "not on sale" when I booked Century for a cruise to Japan which was cancelled then to Italy which was cancelled so that Century could be sold to A Chinese affiliation.

If one wants to maintain that "luxury lives here", the M-class ships are just too practical and loved to fit in with that theme.

Deny, deny, deny until the ink dries on the sales contract.

Why would they complete a costly remodel if they planned to sell the ships? Connie is scheduled for the makeover next month. Just doesn't make sense. Why would the outside photo of the ship look grainy, but the inside shots so clear?

They've blurred the outside deliberately to make it not possible to identify from the picture alone.

I was at the same luncheon. However I remember the denials when Century was "not on sale" when I booked Century for a cruise to Japan which was cancelled then to Italy which was cancelled so that Century could be sold to A Chinese affiliation.

If one wants to maintain that "luxury lives here", the M-class ships are just too practical and loved to fit in with that theme.

Deny, deny, deny until the ink dries on the sales contract.

And several weeks later the advertisements are still on that website. If those ads were false they could get them pulled quickly.

I'm just off the Summit. Captain Kate (who would qualify as a reasonably senior executive) says the M class ships are not for sale. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I'm booked on a B2B on the Connie in the Med next spring.

True.

I'm just off the Summit. Captain Kate (who would qualify as a reasonably senior executive) says the M class ships are not for sale. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. I'm booked on a B2B on the Connie in the Med next spring.

Did you show her the listings?

I don't think anyone onboard, even Capt Kate would be in a position to confirm that ships were being sold, even if they are. IF they are for sale then their anonymity (as weak as it is) is obviously for a reason. Until official announcements are made (or not) then they wouldn't want the information released.

I don't think anyone onboard, even Capt Kate would be in a position to confirm that ships were being sold, even if they are. IF they are for sale then their anonymity (as weak as it is) is obviously for a reason. Until official announcements are made (or not) then they wouldn't want the information released.

Exactly, I'm not saying it's fact they are up for sale, but there's no way any line would confirm the ships were being sold until official notification had been publicised. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot - think of all the revenue they would lose from deposits, when they could continue accepting the bookings and they then have more chance of pax just moving to another ship and sailing rather than losing the booking altogether.

Take the charter scenario, they continue accepting bookings/deposits right up to confirmation, even though they are fully aware the ship will be chartered. It's better to take the money as there's more chance of pax just moving the booking across to another sailing (especially if they add some OBC, and voila: the reservation is maintained and secured).

Celebrity is now aware of the rumor and as I said before should get ahead of the story by having someone like Celebrity Cruise issuing a denial of the rumor. Without that, speculation will continue and that's not good for Celebrity.

The sale of two M class ships with the arrival of the Edge class ships in my view makes sense, just as the earlier class ships were disposed of as the S class ships arrived

Celebrity is now aware of the rumor and as I said before should get ahead of the story by having someone like Celebrity Cruise issuing a denial of the rumor. Without that, speculation will continue and that's not good for Celebrity.

They can hardly deny it when it's true. Ships get sold, as they have in the past, and they're done through agencies. Nothing surprising in anything so far.

Besides Bill and Melinda Gates, who has 350 - 400 Million to slap down on a cruise ship? How long does it take to sell one of those big boys used? I bet the sales cycle is quite long. Generally X ships get sold to some other member of the RCCI family. So if you don't have a place/company to move your old cruise ship you put it on the market. I suspect once it/they get(s) sold arrangements will be made, voyages will be moved, rearranged, or cancelled. But this takes months of preparation.

We discussed with the Future Cruises rep about potentially having our 2019 Millie sailing be cancelled by Celebrity due to the sale of the ship and we were told that they will have another ship to move our booking to if that is the case.

Since ships aren't just sitting around idle, nor can be purchased and built in short timeframes, I don't see how that would be possible.

And it wasn't the case with previous sales.

We discussed with the Future Cruises rep about potentially having our 2019 Millie sailing be cancelled by Celebrity due to the sale of the ship and we were told that they will have another ship to move our booking to if that is the case.

Well yes, you are given options of cruises on other ships within the fleet, as we were when Century was 're- deployed,' just 6 months before we were to sail on her.

• 2 months later...
Ha! Thanks villauk! That's a relief and good to know (and something I should have known...lol). Happy to know they aren't yet selling off any Radiance class ships. I toured BOTS a few years ago and have always thought this class is just beautiful with all the glass.

Also toured the Enchantment around the same time and didn't get the same fuzzy feeling with all that bright blue Astro turf which I'm sure they have since removed/updated (hopefully).

Our first cruise was on the Brilliance and she is beautiful!! Enjoy.