Two M-Class Ships for Sale?

TexSea

Why would they complete a costly remodel if they planned to sell the ships? Connie is scheduled for the makeover next month. Just doesn't make sense. Why would the outside photo of the ship look grainy, but the inside shots so clear?

Slightly better exterior pics:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/cache/searchResults.jsp?cit=true&slim=quick&ybw=&sm=3&searchtype=advancedsearch&Ntk=boatsEN&Ntt=&is=&man=&hmid=0&ftid=0&enid=0&fromLength=600&toLength=1500&fromYear=&toYear=&fromPrice=&toPrice=&luom=126¤cyid=100&city=&pbsint=&boatsAddedSelected=-1

Elsewhere said it's Millennium & Constellation up for sale (ads say 2000 and 2002).

Elsewhere said it's Millennium & Constellation up for sale (ads say 2000 and 2002).

That would match the years all right, but Summit is the one that seems to be breaking down a lot lately. Maybe they think they finally fixed the problems? But why sell the newest one?

I wonder how long it takes to sell a ship. I think there are bookings on these for the next couple of years.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It doesn't matter if there are bookings or not, if they are made an offer that they are happy with then the deal will be done.

We were booked on the final sailing of Celebrity Century, April 2015, Dubai to Rome. She was being transferred to the European arm of RCCL and was to be refurbished after her arrival in Rome.

Suddenly 2/9/14, news came that she had been redeployed to the Asian market and we were given the chance to choose 3 cruises from that area. None of theses suited us, so we took the $200 OBC offered for re booking another Celebrity cruise, by the end of the month (September)

Fortunately we had booked our air with Celebrity, so the deposit paid was transferred to our account.

I've put this in my shopping cart, but I can't decide whether to buy or not. I might wait until they accept PayPal.

fl - I accept PP and will hold the deposit for you until financing can be fully arranged.... :cool:

bon voyage

In most cases such offers are not for real and most important not initiated by the owner. Brokers just test the market and in case potential buyers come up they try to initiate a deal. Royal and Celebrity have always sold their ships by direct contact.

In most cases such offers are not for real and most important not initiated by the owner. Brokers just test the market and in case potential buyers come up they try to initiate a deal. Royal and Celebrity have always sold their ships by direct contact.

Interesting. That makes sense.

In terms of the bigger picture, it does seem like it would probably make sense for Celebrity to keep at least two of the M-class ships for a few years, and maybe even all four. While the Edge-class ships have high fares, and the S-class are somewhere in the middle, some of the routes with the M-class ships could be a more affordable way for people to have a Celebrity cruise.

On the other hand, it does seem like the M-class ships have had troubles with their engine pods almost since the beginning. They've probably spent a small fortune trying to maintain and repair the "mermaid" pods, but with Summit's recent troubles clearly there are still problems.

That would match the years all right, but Summit is the one that seems to be breaking down a lot lately. Maybe they think they finally fixed the problems? But why sell the newest one?

If you go back to when these ships were launched they each broke down numerous times same problem with the propulsion system, haven't done so a lot lately, Summit being the exception . Even prompted a lawsuit which Celebrity won. This a problem that really can't be solved without major, major cost.

And the second link has a photo of the Rooftop Terrace so has to be the Mellennium, Summit or Infinity

I'd put my money on the Summit. She's pretty worn and the last refirb didn't do much but minor cosmetics.

As a side note, I was booked for over a year on the Mercury when they cancelled a couple of sailings and moved up its sale. I had to switch to an earlier cruise at another port to keep the reservation.

One thing not discussed is the impact of selling ships on passengers and crew. Simply replacing older ships with new builds would not significantly expand itineraries. New builds, with perhaps some modifications, pick up the schedules for the ships that will be replaced. I was hoping to see an expanded fleet offer more choices. I know a number of crew who were looking at new builds as an opportunity to advance. New ships would require additional crew. However, simply replacing new for old would result in some, expansion due to larger ship size, but not the significant expansion that some crew were hoping to see.

I'd put my money on the Summit. She's pretty worn and the last refirb didn't do much but minor cosmetics.

As a side note, I was booked for over a year on the Mercury when they cancelled a couple of sailings and moved up its sale. I had to switch to an earlier cruise at another port to keep the reservation.

Does make you think twice about booking any M class sailing too far in advance, especially if you're fixed to certain dates.

Does make you think twice about booking any M class sailing too far in advance, especially if you're fixed to certain dates.

Yup - or it would have done had we not already done so :o We booked RC Legend of the Seas to sail from Singapore to Dubai (in May this year) only for it to be sold one month later!. We had actually booked our airfare to Singapore and thankfully heard about the sale within 24 hours of doing so, so were able to cancel without penalty otherwise we would have lost out big time.

Just last month we booked B2B Shanghai to Abu Dhabi on Connie for 2019 and now read this :mad: It seems we may be destined never to sail that route. One thing's for sure we will be booking our air with Celebrity this time so if our cruises are cancelled we won't get burned for air fare. And if we'd known the ship was for sale there's no way we would have booked the cruises so far out.

If you go back to when these ships were launched they each broke down numerous times same problem with the propulsion system, haven't done so a lot lately, Summit being the exception . Even prompted a lawsuit which Celebrity won. This a problem that really can't be solved without major, major cost.

We had two cruises cancelled due to these problems. Infinity in 2003 and Millie in 2013.

We booked two cruises on M Class ships while we were onboard the Equinox last month, the alcohol and the Caribbean sun does that to you.;p

We chose them purely because of their itineraries as we had decided we had done the Med and the Caribbean so often that it was time to look elsewhere. We didnt consider the age of the ships.

Only one of them is reliant on the date, it is the Summit Independence cruise out of New Jersey in June 2018. The other one is on the Constellation to the Arabian sea and India in March 2019, so a change of dates wouldn't be such a big deal

Ok, I gotta ask. Just why are you looking to buy a cruise ship?:D

Well, my tax refund is coming....

On the Celestyal board it was mentioned in some comment that the Crystal, that we just sailed on, might be put up for sale. I was curious and went looking for that info (which I did find). Looking around the site, I happen to see two ships that also looked familiar.

Well that narrows it down! ;p

Constellation was built in 2002 so I think that's definitely link #1

Link #2 is confusing because they have a picture of Olympic restaurant, which was on the Millennium. That was built in 2000, though. The picture of the main dining room is Summit, which was built in 2001. But, Infinity had its inaugural sailing in March 2001. The description of the capacity of 2158 matches Summit. I'm going with Summit. Do I get a discount for being right?

Photo of ship # 1 has red chairs in MDR...Connie? Our fav of the M class

Descrip of ship # 2 says last refurb was 2015..anyone know refurb dates?

Hoping it is NOT the Infinity...we are booked for Oct 2017, just purchased air, booked pre-cruise hotel etc. If it's Infin we stand a chance of cancellation or worse yet being dangled along as they did with Infin the year they rented it out and wiped out a number of cruises including ours..

If anyone can firmly ID ships it would be helpful to those booking or planning to book those M class ships.

Thanks to O P for the heads up...

Well that narrows it down! ;p

Constellation was built in 2002 so I think that's definitely link #1

Link #2 is confusing because they have a picture of Olympic restaurant, which was on the Millennium. That was built in 2000, though. The picture of the main dining room is Summit, which was built in 2001. But, Infinity had its inaugural sailing in March 2001. The description of the capacity of 2158 matches Summit. I'm going with Summit. Do I get a discount for being right?

I have a brochure with ship specs.. Millie seems to match closest to No 1.., length, age, capacity, tonnage, speed..

Summit matches closest to No 2 , as to year built, capacity, ship speed and close in tonnage..etc. Wonder if price would be lower due to the recent engine issues.

Specs for ships are similar s& I,m not that good at comparing them. So no guarantee it they are Millie and Summit..

Edited by hcat

Photo of ship # 1 has red chairs in MDR...Connie? Our fav of the M class

Descrip of ship # 2 says last refurb was 2015..anyone know refurb dates?

Hoping it is NOT the Infinity...we are booked for Oct 2017, just purchased air, booked pre-cruise hotel etc. If it's Infin we stand a chance of cancellation or worse yet being dangled along as they did with Infin the year they rented it out and wiped out a number of cruises including ours..

If anyone can firmly ID ships it would be helpful to those booking or planning to book those M class ships.

Thanks to O P for the heads up...

I think you'll be safe. Don't see ships being pulled out of service before new builds are cruising. New builds might be picking up the replaced M Class routes. If one is lucky they might be switched to a new build at no additional charge. As I've said previously: Connie will entering dry dock in May for a major refit. New Movie are will be added. Qsine will replace Ocean Liners. Some cabins may be added. I just can't see Celebrity spending all that time and money if they can't recover it.

I agree about Connie..she is still a gem. Our fav after we lost Mercury!

Our Infinity cruise was booked solely for the itin after Princess cancelled us.. After that we have bookings on Slhouette and Edge..hope no sales, charters or bumping on those.

After that who knows?

Ugh. Connie's my favourite. I still miss Horizon and Zenith. I wish they would add smaller ships. I know they won't, and I know why, but I miss them. Remember docking in Hamilton and St. George's?

I know what you mean about the Zenith. We sailed her 8 times and docking in Hamilton and then sailing over to St. Georges was always great. really do miss the smaller ships. Just booked Summit for June 18, our 6th time on her. Been on the Constellation also, so I feel your pain.:eek: