Mini Review of Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation

TeeRick

Wrong to charge for a burger, wrong that it isn't served with quality sides, wrong that there isn't a decent area reserved to eat in....sorry Celebrity, as guests who value (and don't object to paying) for premium dining options I just find this 'tacky'....

Agree. These cruises are generally very expensive even if you are in an ocean view cabin and burgers sound be available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Agree. These cruises are generally very expensive even if you are in an ocean view cabin and burgers sound be available.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The standard hockey puck burgers are still available, albeit now in buffet area where you might have to put more clothes on than you used to have to.

Since I'm the OP I will answer some of the questions that have come up here. First off there is the usual tray of precooked burgers and hot dogs in the Oceanview Cafe. The door right next to the Top Deck Burger Bar (TDBB) leads directly into the Oceanview Cafe area so you can just go get free burgers there. But they in no way compare to the TDBB burgers. I suppose you can also bring your $10 burger in there to the Oceanview and sit to eat it so people can continue their card games at the tables next to TDBB. I don't see how you can ask these folks to give up their tables unless Celebrity ropes them off and sets up a specialty restaurant type area. On S-Class you do this in Lawn Club so perhaps TDBB will only be an M-Class thing. Or an option on Edge. Yes the TDBB has other items like veggie burgers and the menu has been posted on these boards elsewhere. The smaller 4oz burgers for $5 are also an option but I did not try them. There are a selection of toppings for the Build-Your-Own-Burger. There is a $10 hot dog but I never saw anybody order one in two weeks. All that being said I think the TDBB is another expanded option and the only place for non-suite passengers to get a decent cooked-to-order burger. The Mast Grill type burgers are still available about a 30 sec walk into the Oceanview Cafe. Perhaps you can also get a better burger on At-Sea Days in the MDR if on the menu.

I will post a review separately of our 10 day Venice-to-Venice Adriatic and Italy cruise - the ports were amazing!

tr - thank you for the initial review and update....

bon voyage

Since I'm the OP I will answer some of the questions that have come up here. First off there is the usual tray of precooked burgers and hot dogs in the Oceanview Cafe. The door right next to the Top Deck Burger Bar (TDBB) leads directly into the Oceanview Cafe area so you can just go get free burgers there. But they in no way compare to the TDBB burgers. I suppose you can also bring your $10 burger in there to the Oceanview and sit to eat it so people can continue their card games at the tables next to TDBB. I don't see how you can ask these folks to give up their tables unless Celebrity ropes them off and sets up a specialty restaurant type area. On S-Class you do this in Lawn Club so perhaps TDBB will only be an M-Class thing. Or an option on Edge. Yes the TDBB has other items like veggie burgers and the menu has been posted on these boards elsewhere. The smaller 4oz burgers for $5 are also an option but I did not try them. There are a selection of toppings for the Build-Your-Own-Burger. There is a $10 hot dog but I never saw anybody order one in two weeks. All that being said I think the TDBB is another expanded option and the only place for non-suite passengers to get a decent cooked-to-order burger. The Mast Grill type burgers are still available about a 30 sec walk into the Oceanview Cafe. Perhaps you can also get a better burger on At-Sea Days in the MDR if on the menu.

I will post a review separately of our 10 day Venice-to-Venice Adriatic and Italy cruise - the ports were amazing!

Thanks for your report. I agree--it's an option. Just not one I plan to use. Others may find it of value.

Looking forward to your port review as I'm doing that cruise next year.

Thanks for your review. Wondering if you can get the french fries without ordering a hamburger, something I won't be paying for. I'm not a fan of really hard fries, so the soggy ones might just meet my expectations.

Not sure if you can order just fries there - the ones in Oceanview Cafe a very hard and salty.

As one who is hoping the burger charge is a big fail I am glad people are sitting in all the chairs and not ordering. Keep it up.

Do you think they will actually reverse course and go back to Mast Grill on Connie because people are using the free seats on the deck? No chance. But it will be interesting to see what happens in dry docks for other M-Class ships - I'm guessing they will replace Mast Grill with TDBB on all M-Class. This gives people willing to pay for a premium burger that option - which already is in place on S-Class (Lawn Club Grill).

That's too bad. They should consider providing table service in any case and keep the table open to only paying customers.

As to the comment on the fries, maybe it makes sense to order two 4 oz burgers rather than one 8 oz burger. Combine the burgers to make it a double and get double fries.

Not a bad idea on table service and ordering the two burgers. However twice as many soggy fries doesn't sound any better. :D

I,m not paying $10.00 for a hamburger on any cruise ship! Too many other delicious food's to eat.And $10.00 for a hot dog!:o

REALLY! Come on, who are they trying to convince that a hot dog is worth $10.00. Celebrity needs a reality check or at least the new CEO does.She's going to be the downfall of Celebrity,you watch!!!

I,m not paying $10.00 for a hamburger on any cruise ship! Too many other delicious food's to eat.And $10.00 for a hot dog!:o

REALLY! Come on, who are they trying to convince that a hot dog is worth $10.00. Celebrity needs a reality check or at least the new CEO does.She's going to be the downfall of Celebrity,you watch!!!

I'm not so sure she will be. It seems that the younger mass market cruiser that she's trying to attract are used to the extra charge & hits to their account. They'll just consider Celebrity better than where they came from.

Just sailed on Equinox May 2017. Happened to have a very long line at the Mast Grill one day so we went to Oceanview Café. I asked a server there if they served burgers. They said, "No, burgers are served at the Mast Grill, not here at the Oceanview." However, one day at lunch in the Main Dining room we enjoyed a really good burger at lunch.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the Mast Grill where burgers were served free is now being converted on all(?) Celebrity ships with the Top Deck Burger Bar that charge a fee for their burgers. Is this correct?

Edited by RCCL Cruise Couple
Left out a point.

I'm not so sure she will be. It seems that the younger mass market cruiser that she's trying to attract are used to the extra charge & hits to their account. They'll just consider Celebrity better than where they came from.

I wager the expression "CHA-CHING!" is the most-repeated in any lower-end cruise line management meeting.

Just sailed on Equinox May 2017. Happened to have a very long line at the Mast Grill one day so we went to Oceanview Café. I asked a server there if they served burgers. They said, "No, burgers are served at the Mast Grill, not here the Oceanview."

So, if I'm reading this correctly, the Mast Grill where burgers were served free is now being converted on all(?) Celebrity ships with the Top Deck Burger Bar that charge a fee for their burgers. Is this correct?

If I understand correctly, when a Mast Grill is replaced the free burgers will move to the Oceanview Café.

Just sailed on Equinox May 2017. Happened to have a very long line at the Mast Grill one day so we went to Oceanview Café. I asked a server there if they served burgers. They said, "No, burgers are served at the Mast Grill, not here at the Oceanview." However, one day at lunch in the Main Dining room we enjoyed a really good burger at lunch.

The Mast Grill is only on the S class ships. The Pool Grill is on the M class. As of now, only the Constellation's Pool Grill has been replaced with the extra charge burgers; which happened during her recent dry dock. Speculation is that they are testing it out to see how it succeeds. Celebrity has not said anything about adding the extra charge burgers to the rest of the fleet.

There is only one way to end the charge for burgers: Don't buy it! It won't last if it doesn't add to the bottom line.

Just come back from the Venice sailing june 5th never saw anyone using this venue staff always looking bored so maybe they will think again.:confused:

We loved the Mast Grill on the S class ships, as did many others. The burgers, hot dogs and fries were very good. It was a good dining option if you were sitting at the pool. We had late dining (8:30 pm) so a burger or hot dog at around 5:00 pm from the Mast Grill hit the spot. Sorry to see it go. We sailed on the Eclipse and Reflection in January 2017. On the Eclipse, the MG closed at 5:00 pm; on the Reflection, the MG closed at 6:00 pm.

We loved the Mast Grill on the S class ships, as did many others. The burgers, hot dogs and fries were very good. It was a good dining option if you were sitting at the pool. We had late dining (8:30 pm) so a burger or hot dog at around 5:00 pm from the Mast Grill hit the spot. Sorry to see it go. We sailed on the Eclipse and Reflection in January 2017. On the Eclipse, the MG closed at 5:00 pm; on the Reflection, the MG closed at 6:00 pm.

Has anyone said they are leaving the S class ships?

Constellation's Pool Grill has been replaced with the extra charge burgers; which happened during her recent dry dock. Speculation is that they are testing it out to see how it succeeds. Celebrity has not said anything about adding the extra charge burgers to the rest of the fleet.

From what's been posted about the facility, it doesn't sound like they need to go to dry dock to change over the other Pool Grills since it's basically the same place with expensive burgers & hot dogs.

Just come back from the Venice sailing june 5th never saw anyone using this venue staff always looking bored so maybe they will think again.:confused:

Hahahaha. You're assuming they thought this through the first time.

Celebrity usually tests a new idea on one ship before taking it fleet wide. If it works, it spreads to other ships. If it doesn't meet expectations it might remain on the test ship or simply die.

I have seen the standard burgers and hot dogs at the Oceanview Cafe buffet on every Celebrity ship. Even last week on Connie they were served in Oceanview in addition to the premium burgers at the TDBB.

Summary:

1) Three M-Class ships (Millennium, Infinity, Summit) have the Pool Grill and Oceanview Cafe serving free standard burgers and hot dogs. These are also served in the MDR on At Sea days if on the lunch menu. There is no option for a premium (for fee) burger on these M-Class ships. If you are a suite passenger and you have lunch in Luminae you can order a premium burger at no charge. Not sure about lunch in Blu.

2) Only one M-Class ship (Constellation) recently replaced the Pool Grill with the Top Deck Burger Bar during Dry Dock. Premium burgers are either $5 (4 oz) or $10 (8 oz). Free burgers and hot dogs still available in Oceanview Cafe. There is a premium burger on the lunch menu in Luminae (no charge for suite guests).

3) All S-Class ships have the Mast Grill serving free burgers and hot dogs. They are also served in the Oceanview Cafe. A free burger can usually be ordered in the MDR on the menu on At Sea days.

4) S-Class ships serve premium burgers for a fee ($15) at the Lawn Club Grill.

5) Celebrity has not announced anything about future TDBB's on any other M-Class, S-Class or Edge-Class ships.