Mini Review of Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation

TeeRick

or go back to your lounger and watch the ingredients get blown into the sea :-)
Same as if the Mast Grill was there; folks took their burgers back to the loungers.

Embarkation day wouldn't be a problem, but I agree while the ship is sailing. On my last cruise, they gave me another plate to put on my plate, because it was windy.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Back to the TDBB. I recently sailed Anthem of the Seas on RCCL and they had a walk-up Johnny Rockets for burgers. Many of their ships have the restaurant but not the walk-up type. Anthem's walk-up Johnny Rockets is actually quite similar to the TDBB but actually much less expensive. They also have an area with red chairs and tables designated for Johnny Rocket walk-up guests. Perhaps Celebrity could follow the RCCL lead here and improve TDBB by lowering prices and adding seating. See the official Cruise Critic site review link below with lots of photos and the JR walk-up menu with prices. By the way, Anthem has the Dog House as well with great free Hot Dogs/Sausages and fries for no charge. Still can't imagine why Celebrity charges $10 for a hot dog!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/anthem-of-the-seas-706/johnny-rockets-189283/johnny-rockets--v9689421/

Johhny Rockets is a fast food venue and likely uses USDA utility grade beef at best (i.e. extremely cheap, poor quality beef). If the TDBB is using USDA prime or choice, it requires a significantly heftier price - as the beef costs much, much more money to source. Now since Celebrity is engaging in false advertising and calling some of their beef "Kobe beef" at the TDBB (the equivalent of the jewelry shop calling cubic zirconia diamonds or the watch shop calling a knockoff Tag Heur), I am skeptical the beef is truly of high quality (an 8oz Kobe beef burger would have to cost approximately $200 just for the cruise line to break even).

Yes, but if you had read what I said about the menu in the MDR for the Concierge Class lunch, it was lamb and fish, neither of which I eat, so I only had the chocolate cake, which was good, but I would rather have a meal instead of just dessert.

Thank you, now you gave me a great idea. I can go up and get the burger and fries and eat in the MDR and then I can have dessert too. Hopefully, other Concierge Class passengers (those that left after seeing the MDR menu), will do this as well and maybe they will add a burger to the menu.

While I did enjoy the lamb on my last Celebrity cruise I certainly think there should be more choices on the Concierge embarkation lunch.

Yes, sorry, I stand corrected. The other S-Class ships would be future candidates for either TDBB or Lawn Club Grill additions. Or both?

The ones that don't have the Lawn Club have the Glass show in that area. That would have to go to add a LCG on them unless they found another spot, but then it wouldn't be on the Lawn.

While I did enjoy the lamb on my last Celebrity cruise I certainly think there should be more choices on the Concierge embarkation lunch.

From someone who doesn't eat fish or lamb, I would agree. They were showing the menu to folks coming in, because they said too many were seated and then looked at the menu and left. A chicken dish would have been appreciated.

Always ask to see the Concierge menu. While fish and lamb are the usual choices we were offered fish and braised beef on my last cruise.The selections might be limited due to limited time for the lunch and shortage of staff on the first afternoon due to staffing demands in the Oceanview.

Same as if the Mast Grill was there; folks took their burgers back to the loungers.

Embarkation day wouldn't be a problem, but I agree while the ship is sailing. On my last cruise, they gave me another plate to put on my plate, because it was windy.

except you haven't paid $10 to have it blown into the sea

From someone who doesn't eat fish or lamb, I would agree. They were showing the menu to folks coming in, because they said too many were seated and then looked at the menu and left. A chicken dish would have been appreciated.

On Equinox in Feb. they did include a "boneless" chicken offering. Will never forget because I almost choked to death on a chicken bone.

They were showing the menu to folks coming in, because they said too many were seated and then looked at the menu and left. .

That's a big tell right there. Last December in Concierge, I sat and looked at the menu. I was tempted to leave but selected the lesser of the evils so to speak. I think I wound up with the everyday salmon.

I have no idea of the corporate thinking on some of the specialty restaurants.

When Gastrobar food menu was first introduced to the passport bar on the Eclipse the food prices were set at a particular level. Within just a few months they doubled the prices of some items ( e.g. fries up from $3 to $6. wild mushroom flatbread $5 to $10) other prices all going up by a still substantial %. Effect : Never see anyone eating in there now. So they go from earning some money (what profit I don't know) to having a restaurant but taking little or no money.

The only sense I can make of it (in the context of the new Burger bar on Constellation) is that previously giving food wood have cost them money. If they do away with that and sell burgers for $10 (with lets say $1 profit) - then if they just sell 1 burger and nothing else all day they've made more money c.w. when they used to give the burgers away.

I hate to be negative but I actually joined just to provide some feedback on this subject..

We're currently on the constellation & I can tell you that the top deck burger bar is a complete failure... I have not seen anyone order a burger (from there) since we have been on the ship.. for a couple of days we sat near the TDBB & only saw people ordering drinks (no food at all).

Also, on one day this week (Sunday or Monday) there were 3 trays of pre-cooked burgers in buns with lettuce, tomato, etc on the counter covered in cling-film for at least 90 minutes - could've been a lot longer.

Then one of the staff picked up one of the trays & started offering them for free to people pool-side!.. When I was offered I told her that there was no way I was going to eat a burger that I had seen sitting in 85 degree + heat for at least 90 minutes.

She shrugged her shoulders & moved on..

I did notice that she returned to the bar a few minutes later still with some of the burgers.. therefore they can't even give these burgers away..

I hate to be negative but I actually joined just to provide some feedback on this subject..

We're currently on the constellation & I can tell you that the top deck burger bar is a complete failure... I have not seen anyone order a burger (from there) since we have been on the ship.. for a couple of days we sat near the TDBB & only saw people ordering drinks (no food at all).

Also, on one day this week (Sunday or Monday) there were 3 trays of pre-cooked burgers in buns with lettuce, tomato, etc on the counter covered in cling-film for at least 90 minutes - could've been a lot longer.

Then one of the staff picked up one of the trays & started offering them for free to people pool-side!.. When I was offered I told her that there was no way I was going to eat a burger that I had seen sitting in 85 degree + heat for at least 90 minutes.

I did notice that she returned to the bar a few minutes later still with some of the burgers.. therefore they can't even give these burgers away..

Case closed. A waste of time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome to Cruise Critic and thanks for your comments.

Why are they precooking burgers and letting them sit there? I thought the whole idea was to get a freshly cooked gourmet burger?

If Celebrity really believes that the burgers are really great and command a premium price they need to do some marketing. They could offer samples a la Mrs Fields and offer 50% off to get people hooked. A burger is just a burger until people believe that its really special and they crave it.

When Gastrobar food menu was first introduced to the passport bar on the Eclipse the food prices were set at a particular level. Within just a few months they doubled the prices of some items ( e.g. fries up from $3 to $6. wild mushroom flatbread $5 to $10) other prices all going up by a still substantial %. Effect : Never see anyone eating in there now. .

Sounds like a continued Celebrity business model. Keep raising prices and removing items until nobody buys any more.

macfcc, Thank you very much for your posting. Just as I predicted Celebrity was just putting lipstick on a pig. I didn't think they would retrain the staff. The lazy ones cook a bunch up ahead of time and put them in a pan. Guess they believe the "gourmet" burgers deserve the same treatment. :eek:

Why are they precooking burgers and letting them sit there? I thought the whole idea was to get a freshly cooked gourmet burger?

That's a great idea. Now they'll charge $5 more if you want it freshly cooked like the OJ they sell they call freshly squeezed. "Would you like that gourmet burger sitting there for 90 minutes for $9.95 or for just $5 more I can give you a freshly cooked gourmet burger? (cough, cough) Hahahahaha.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic. Please do not be offended, but I hope that you come back in the future to report further on your cruise, and are not just a "one hit wonder", trying to stir the pot.

Having said that, if this is really the case, it indicates that Celebrity has truly lost their way, even though I am sure there will be those who will rationalize that they really do not mind being ripped off $10.00 for a 90 minute old burger, after all, it's "Kobe" beef.

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic. Please do not be offended, but I hope that you come back in the future to report further on your cruise, and are not just a "one hit wonder", trying to stir the pot.

Having said that, if this is really the case, it indicates that Celebrity has truly lost their way, even though I am sure there will be those who will rationalize that they really do not mind being ripped off $10.00 for a 90 minute old burger, after all, it's "Kobe" beef.

After 90 minutes I'm pretty sure it will taste no better than The burger my wife and I had from Ken's snack bar van at the boot sale at the weekend - £2 and freshly cooked

Precooked burgers left hour for 99 minutes... I'd need some convincing they weren't serving the old burgers up with a fancy price tag. Put some fancy sauce on a cheap old burger and I dare say it will taste better than a cheap old burger without the sauce.

If Celebrity really believes that the burgers are really great and command a premium price they need to do some marketing. They could offer samples a la Mrs Fields and offer 50% off to get people hooked. A burger is just a burger until people believe that its really special and they crave it.
They could offer free burgers to the first X amount of people on one sea day to get folks interested and if they are good word would spread. But if their way of marketing is to pre-cook them and try to pass them around, well, that certainly doesn't sound like a very good idea, especially since there are so many different burgers on the menu and I wouldn't want to try a burger that has been sitting out for who knows how long.

This use of the term "Kobe" irritates me. True Kobe beef, which is raised only in one region of Japan under very strict regulations, is only imported to the U.S. in small quantities and costs several hundred dollars per pound as a result. There is no way this is being served on board. They MIGHT be serving Kobe-style beef, which is an American hybrid of the Japanese Wagyu cattle and our own Angus cattle, but even that is not guaranteed given how fast and loose Celebrity likes to play with its menu descriptions. If indeed they are serving Kobe-style beef and the burgers are cooked to order, I would consider paying the $10 upcharge, but I'm not sure how you'd verify this (aside from ordering and paying for the burger and seeing how it tastes).

I'll say the TDBB staff are bored out of their wits with no one buying anything, and that the previously-frozen burgers do need to be cooked at some point. And if you're pretending to be anything other than a fast food joint (where you can cook from frozen) you are supposed to bring meat to room temperature before you cook it so....

Celebrity's primary motivation will determine what TDBB becomes. It's not too late to salvage it.

Does Celebrity want to be putting out a top shelf gourmet burger for their customers or for their own profits? If it's the latter, both the cruiser and Celebrity will lose.

Thank you for joining and a great post. Welcome to CC,!

I am fearful they will take the rejects to the buffet and pass them off as fresh grilled there...ick! I think we are passing on burgets unless in the MDR.,.

You can't order rm service before the evening on embarkation day. I tried on the Equinox about 4:45pm on embarkation day from the cabin TV. It said 24 hour service. The TV acknowledged my order and indicated they would contact me. After two hours of not receiving rm service, I called. They had no record of my order. I was told they didn't turn the system on until 6pm so all orders before that were never received or put in queue.

Just so you know in case you wanted to order rm service that day.

Thanks for the heads up.,.guess that also cuts out getting a few fruit and cheese trays for sailaway!

Thanks for your observations and posting on Cruise Critic. What you describe was not my experience the previous week. During lunch there was a line at TDBB almost every day. I watched them cook fresh burgers. There was never a tray of precooked burgers except in the Oceanview Cafe. It took about ten minutes from the time of ordering to get your burger cooked to your specification. It makes no sense that they would have precooked burgers given the concept of TDBB.

Johhny Rockets is a fast food venue and likely uses USDA utility grade beef at best (i.e. extremely cheap, poor quality beef). If the TDBB is using USDA prime or choice, it requires a significantly heftier price - as the beef costs much, much more money to source. Now since Celebrity is engaging in false advertising and calling some of their beef "Kobe beef" at the TDBB (the equivalent of the jewelry shop calling cubic zirconia diamonds or the watch shop calling a knockoff Tag Heur), I am skeptical the beef is truly of high quality (an 8oz Kobe beef burger would have to cost approximately $200 just for the cruise line to break even).

Johnny Rockets burgers, although tasty, are not as good as the TDBB burgers in my opinion as I have tried both. I did not see my burger at TDBB advertised as Kobe beef.