Mini Review of Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation

TeeRick

I have seen the standard burgers and hot dogs at the Oceanview Cafe buffet on every Celebrity ship. Even last week on Connie they were served in Oceanview in addition to the premium burgers at the TDBB.

Summary:

1) Three M-Class ships (Millennium, Infinity, Summit) have the Pool Grill and Oceanview Cafe serving free standard burgers and hot dogs. These are also served in the MDR on At Sea days if on the lunch menu. There is no option for a premium (for fee) burger on these M-Class ships. If you are a suite passenger and you have lunch in Luminae you can order a premium burger at no charge. Not sure about lunch in Blu.

2) Only one M-Class ship (Constellation) recently replaced the Pool Grill with the Top Deck Burger Bar during Dry Dock. Premium burgers are either $5 (4 oz) or $10 (8 oz). Free burgers and hot dogs still available in Oceanview Cafe. There is a premium burger on the lunch menu in Luminae (no charge for suite guests).

3) All S-Class ships have the Mast Grill serving free burgers and hot dogs. They are also served in the Oceanview Cafe. A free burger can usually be ordered in the MDR on the menu on At Sea days.

4) S-Class ships serve premium burgers for a fee ($15) at the Lawn Club Grill.

5) Celebrity has not announced anything about future TDBB's on any other M-Class, S-Class or Edge-Class ships.

Ahhh, so now I understand. If I want a decent free burger (on a sea day) I can elect to pay thousands of extra dollars for a suite. But even this will not get me a "free burger" on a port day (when Luminae) is closed? Sounds like a good deal :).

Hank

Our experience on our Eclipse UK sailings has been that if the Mast grill is open then there are no burgers in the Oceanview but if it's closed they move the burgers to the Oceanview. No way would we pay for a non table service, non "The most amazing burger ever" on a cruise. In reality, how much does a burger actually cost to make? If this charging for burgers is extended to other ships I expect the burger joint to become the Bistro on 5/Sushi on 5/Gastrobar at the passport bar venues and be limited to a very small percentage of the clientele. However I'm sure many will say they are happy to pay $10 to escape the Oceanview on embarkation day. The more that succumb to this silly upcharge the more widespread this will become.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not all S Class ships have the Lawn Club grill. Equinox, Eclipse & Solstice don't. Reflection and Silhouette do. So if it works these would be an option for them to add the TDBB to.

However I'm sure many will say they are happy to pay $10 to escape the Oceanview on embarkation day.

Didn't think of that....I would be more than willing to pay $10 to stay out of the mess at the buffet on embarkation day.

I've got no issue sitting on a lounger, as long as I don't have to walk in the Oceanview on embarkation day.

I think I must be in the minority. I have no issue with the Oceanview on embarkation day. I look forward to it. Yes it's busy, everyone wants to eat there, but we have always found a table and always enjoyed the options. It's way bigger than the buffet on Oasis Class ships that have double the number of passengers. However we are pretty persistent about asking to share a table that is under occupied. Quote....approaching a table for four occupied by one man, "is any one sitting here?", " my wife hasn't chosen her seat yet so I cannot say which seats are available until she returns". Really? We just occupied two seats and her decision was made for her. If the coffee cup huggers would clear out after their meals that too would ease the problem.

Didn't think of that....I would be more than willing to pay $10 to stay out of the mess at the buffet on embarkation day.

I thought I read on another post you stay in Concierge rooms. You already get a private lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.

We used to pay for lunch in B on 5 on embarkation day and a few other days during the cruise ,.nice menu, great service and no crowds. It did not make money so they replaced it with sushi which dh does not eat..not even sure it's open on day 1..

We lost out fav lunch spot and definitely not paying $10 for a stand up burger lunch...much less value than B on 5...

I thought I read on another post you stay in Concierge rooms. You already get a private lunch in the MDR on embarkation day.
Yes, but if you had read what I said about the menu in the MDR for the Concierge Class lunch, it was lamb and fish, neither of which I eat, so I only had the chocolate cake, which was good, but I would rather have a meal instead of just dessert.

Thank you, now you gave me a great idea. I can go up and get the burger and fries and eat in the MDR and then I can have dessert too. Hopefully, other Concierge Class passengers (those that left after seeing the MDR menu), will do this as well and maybe they will add a burger to the menu.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We used to pay for lunch in B on 5 on embarkation day and a few other days during the cruise ,.nice menu, great service and no crowds. It did not make money so they replaced it with sushi which dh does not eat..not even sure it's open on day 1..

We lost out fav lunch spot and definitely not paying $10 for a stand up burger lunch...much less value than B on 5...

I'm with your husband, I don't eat sushi either.

We too miss B on 5, and like you, would dine there upon embarkation and a time or two during the cruise. Fortunately, DW and I both enjoy sushi, so it's not a total loss.

We too miss B on 5, and like you, would dine there upon embarkation and a time or two during the cruise. Fortunately, DW and I both enjoy sushi, so it's not a total loss.

We were going to try Sushi on 5 anyhow, but seems most if not all the non sushi was removed from the menu..dh allergic to most fish . If they added some variety, more folks might consider it..

Now for lunch we have the MDR. AQ spa cafe, buffet, rm service...but no included outdoor dogs, fries and burgers

We were going to try Sushi on 5 anyhow, but seems most if not all the non sushi was removed from the menu..dh allergic to most fish . If they added some variety, more folks might consider it..

Now for lunch we have the MDR. AQ spa cafe, buffet, rm service...but no included outdoor dogs, fries and burgers

You can't order rm service before the evening on embarkation day. I tried on the Equinox about 4:45pm on embarkation day from the cabin TV. It said 24 hour service. The TV acknowledged my order and indicated they would contact me. After two hours of not receiving rm service, I called. They had no record of my order. I was told they didn't turn the system on until 6pm so all orders before that were never received or put in queue.

Just so you know in case you wanted to order rm service that day.

You can't order rm service before the evening on embarkation day. I tried on the Equinox about 4:45pm on embarkation day from the cabin TV. It said 24 hour service. The TV acknowledged my order and indicated they would contact me. After two hours of not receiving rm service, I called. They had no record of my order. I was told they didn't turn the system on until 6pm so all orders before that were never received or put in queue.

Just so you know in case you wanted to order rm service that day.

Can't you order by phone at 4:45 PM?

We did the same at Bon5, and the teens used to enjoy a meal with a couple of friends they'd meet on the sailing - sitting at a separate table, obviously not wanting to be associated with the parents :D. It was an affordable change during the cruise. We're not sushi fans either.

Ahhh, so now I understand. If I want a decent free burger (on a sea day) I can elect to pay thousands of extra dollars for a suite. But even this will not get me a "free burger" on a port day (when Luminae) is closed? Sounds like a good deal :).

Hank

LOL. I guess on a port day you can take a newly designed Celebrity excursion to seek out a decent burger off ship. Maybe a GPS would help. Perhaps this would cost only $100-$200 for the excursion plus cost of the burger at port. Still cheaper than a suite! :D

Not all S Class ships have the Lawn Club grill. Equinox, Eclipse & Solstice don't. Reflection and Silhouette do. So if it works these would be an option for them to add the TDBB to.

Yes, sorry, I stand corrected. The other S-Class ships would be future candidates for either TDBB or Lawn Club Grill additions. Or both?

But paying $10 is not going to get you a table. Only a few available. Do you want to stand to eat your expensive burger???

or go back to your lounger and watch the ingredients get blown into the sea :-)

I've got no issue sitting on a lounger, as long as I don't have to walk in the Oceanview on embarkation day.

My wife and I don't ususally board until about 1230, which usually gives us time for a coffee in Café Al Bacio before cabins are open at 1pm. We usually nip up to the cabin put away what we can and then head for lunch in Oceanview about 2pm. We've always been pleasantly surprised that it isn't the madhouse that others describe. It seems quieter than lunchtime and similar to how busy we've found the Oceanview in the evening.

We sail ex Southampton and maybe elsewhere people arrive en masse earlier than they do at Southampton. Scenery at Southampton is less than inspiring (to the left we have Ikea, to the back we have the scrap yards and to the right the oil refinery) and weather can be . .. . well it's the UK! So we just want to get on the ship with enough time to unpack, go to the muster drill and set sail.

Back to the TDBB. I recently sailed Anthem of the Seas on RCCL and they had a walk-up Johnny Rockets for burgers. Many of their ships have the restaurant but not the walk-up type. Anthem's walk-up Johnny Rockets is actually quite similar to the TDBB but actually much less expensive. They also have an area with red chairs and tables designated for Johnny Rocket walk-up guests. Perhaps Celebrity could follow the RCCL lead here and improve TDBB by lowering prices and adding seating. See the official Cruise Critic site review link below with lots of photos and the JR walk-up menu with prices. By the way, Anthem has the Dog House as well with great free Hot Dogs/Sausages and fries for no charge. Still can't imagine why Celebrity charges $10 for a hot dog!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/anthem-of-the-seas-706/johnny-rockets-189283/johnny-rockets--v9689421/

Back to the TDBB. I recently sailed Anthem of the Seas on RCCL and they had a walk-up Johnny Rockets for burgers. Many of their ships have the restaurant but not the walk-up type. Anthem's walk-up Johnny Rockets is actually quite similar to the TDBB but actually much less expensive. They also have an area with red chairs and tables designated for Johnny Rocket walk-up guests. Perhaps Celebrity could follow the RCCL lead here and improve TDBB by lowering prices and adding seating. See the official Cruise Critic site review link below with lots of photos and the JR walk-up menu with prices. By the way, Anthem has the Dog House as well with great free Hot Dogs/Sausages and fries for no charge. Still can't imagine why Celebrity charges $10 for a hot dog!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/anthem-of-the-seas-706/johnny-rockets-189283/johnny-rockets--v9689421/

We sailed Anthem in January and went to Johnny Rockets. I wouldn't exactly call their burger gourmet but it was good and cooked fresh. We got 2 burgers, french fries, onion rings and milkshakes. I think it was only like $13 total. We did not sit outside though as they had started some type of Pool Game/Activity and it was SO LOUD out there we went into the Windjammer and ate our meal.