Mini Review of Top Deck Burger Bar on Constellation

TeeRick

Celebrity should raise the cruise prices by $150 then give a $100 OBC perk to be used only at on board restaurants and the TDBB. That should keep the masses happy.

HA HA HA..,,They already do a bit of backwards math with some perks and packages. And after this whole thread I am no longer craving a poolside burger or dog...

We just disembarked the Constellation. I only saw 1 group order from the Top Deco Burger Bar in 9 days. Of course I wasn't there all the time, though. I tried the burger and fries in Oceanview Cafe a few times, and they were terrible! The outside appeared to be cooked, but the inside was PINK!! The bun was old and crumbly. I tried the shoestring fries, medium fries, and steak fries. All 3 were bland and cold. I missed Princess's Grill so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hmmmm..... burgers are supposed to be pink inside. It;s called "medium". Otherwise, they're like well-done hockey pucks.

Burgers and french fries aren't good unless they are made to order. They just don't do well in a buffet. That's just the physics of the preparation. Usually made to order food costs more. If it's good and there are enough toppings to make it your way, then I have no issue with the extra cost.

Hmmmm..... burgers are supposed to be pink inside. It;s called "medium". Otherwise, they're like well-done hockey pucks.

Burgers and french fries aren't good unless they are made to order. They just don't do well in a buffet. That's just the physics of the preparation. Usually made to order food costs more. If it's good and there are enough toppings to make it your way, then I have no issue with the extra cost.

Hmmm, what does a "Fish Lover" know about a good burger :). If the red juices are not flowing.....then its too well done! Princess used to keep a "secret" book hidden under the counter of their grill. It was for those of us who wanted a rare or med rare burger....and we had to sign away all of our rights in order to get an "undercooked" burger. But they were so darn good,

Hank

Hmmm, what does a "Fish Lover" know about a good burger :). If the red juices are not flowing.....then its too well done! Princess used to keep a "secret" book hidden under the counter of their grill. It was for those of us who wanted a rare or med rare burger....and we had to sign away all of our rights in order to get an "undercooked" burger. But they were so darn good,Hank

Hank,

Haven't you seen by now that Fish Lover knows everything about everything? :D There is a difference in cooking freshly ground or freshly defrosted ground beef and the 1/4" processed frozen patty thrown straight on the grill. You don't want the latter pink if you know what's good for you.

That's why I won't get one of those hockey pucks

Glad you shared your perspective. Is the extra charge covered under your Suite perks?

Do you know, or can you find out, the composition of the burger?

Burger bar is included for Royal and Penthouse Suite guests. They keep a list of room numbers by the register that are a $0 charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great news thanks for the update! Did anybody try the $10 hot dog?

Ordered one today for fun (split it with someone). Was tasty, like a large Hebrew National from Costco. Have not seen anyone else order one...

Ordered one today for fun (split it with someone). Was tasty, like a large Hebrew National from Costco. Have not seen anyone else order one...

At roughly 5 times the price of a Costco hotdog it better be tasty!

Burger bar is included for Royal and Penthouse Suite guests. They keep a list of room numbers by the register that are a $0 charge.

I like this! Pay a few thousand dollars more for a Penthouse and you get a "free" burger? Go figure.

Hank

You mean like the ones that you get from Costco that cost $1.50?

Menu on July 2

a961b67ab6ed7856ba7abcb0559dfc3c.png

Thanks for posting this. Crazy they are engaging in such blatant false advertising. Next they will start calIing the sparkling wine they hand out upon embarkation Dom Perignon and the button mushrooms white Alba truffles. My last cruise they attempted to serve tobiko that they had labeled Osetra caviar via room service for an upcharge.

Edited by Gonzo70

Thanks for posting this. Crazy they are engaging in such blatant false advertising. Next they will start calIing the sparkling wine they hand out upon embarkation Dom Perignon and the button mushrooms white Alba truffles. My last cruise they attempted to serve tobiko that they had labeled Osetra caviar via room service for an upcharge.

The only thing I can think of is that calling something Kobe means it only has to contain a certain percentage, as in Kona coffee having to have only 10% Kona beans. Otherwise TDBB is not going to be on any ship plying Japanese waters.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjl6IOAk-zUAhUE72MKHYP2Di4QFgg4MAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forbes.com%2Fsites%2Flarryolmsted%2F2012%2F04%2F12%2Ffoods-biggest-scam-the-great-kobe-beef-lie%2F&usg=AFQjCNHxrPx_zIyPqK71An6KjIlLTobIQg

https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2012/04/27/kobe_beef_in_canada_isnt_what_you_think_it_is.html

I can almost guarantee it has zero percentage Kobe beef. Kobe beef is extremely, extremely, extremely rare outside of Japan. Anybody serving Kobe beef is required to have a certificate of authenticity available to be shown upon request with a nose-print of the actual cow the beef was sourced from (along with other information about that specific cow). Since 2012 (the dates of the articles you linked) restaurants in the US who falsely called product Kobe Beef were successfully sued over this under grounds of false advertising (here is an article from 2014 about it: http://blogs.kcrw.com/goodfood/2014/08/theres-no-such-thing-as-a-kobe-slider-kobe-fraud-is-rampant-in-the-us/).

Celebrity is either being completely clueless in calling their burgers Kobe beef or they are attempting to be extremely deceitful. If they have USDA prime or choice that is a huge step up over the free burgers they previously served in that venue and that is what they should be labeling them by (as it is almost certainly US sourced beef and not from Japan ).

Edited by Gonzo70

The only thing I can think of is that calling something Kobe means it only has to contain a certain percentage, as in Kona coffee having to have only 10% Kona beans. Otherwise TDBB is not going to be on any ship plying Japanese waters.

Maybe this is their supplier

http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-hot-dogs.html

Celebrity is either being completely clueless in calling their burgers Kobe beef or they are attempting to be extremely deceitful. If they have USDA prime or choice that is a huge step up over the free burgers they previously served in that venue and that is what they should be labeling them by (as it is almost certainly US sourced beef and not from Japan ).

Here is USA sourced franks claimed to be Kobe beef. http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-hot-dogs.html

So that may be where most of the business comes from.

If it was free, I would probably get burgers there also.

Sent from my desktop using MTF

Here is USA sourced franks claimed to be Kobe beef. http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-kobe-hot-dogs.html

Label is deceptive if not outright misleading and deceitful. They call it "american style kobe beef". Can't be Kobe unless it is from Kobe. Like Champagne has to come from France.

Imagine the uproar if China starts selling "China style Napa zinfandel"

I noticed from the photo reference to Buckhead Beef. A quick google finds a company called Buckhead Beef of Florida who state they source their Kobe style Beef from a supplier called Snake River Farms. This company provides Kobe Style Beef Mince to Costco. They are careful to point out that this is "American style" Kobe Beef.

https://www.chowhound.com/post/snake-river-farms-american-kobe-corned-beef-costco-1005973

Big difference though than what a Celebrity is doing; this place you linked is calling their product "American Kobe" - which although somewhat deceptive and meaningless is legal; Celebrity is calling their burgers "Kobe beef" - not "Kobe style" or "American Kobe" - which (at least in the US) is not legal and is fraudulent. It is the eqvuivalent of someone making a cheap watch look like a Rolex and actually calling it a Rolex while trying to sell the watch. Total false advertising; claiming something is rare, expensive and luxurious when it is really a much, much cheaper imitation.

You mean like the ones that you get from Costco that cost $1.50?

And you don't need a drink package since the drink is included in the price!

They haven't used Hebrew National for several years, but still a price that beats Celebrity by a few miles.

So that may be where most of the business comes from.

If it was free, I would probably get burgers there also.

Sent from my desktop using MTF

So it seems this burger stand is now another area that caters to suite guests for no added fee...others must pay or eat pre cooked patties from the buffet bins,,...hope this is not the start of a new trend...

Maybe someday the rest of us can have Luminae leftovers for a small fee...,

And you don't need a drink package since the drink is included in the price!

They haven't used Hebrew National for several years, but still a price that beats Celebrity by a few miles.

I recall seeing an interview a number of years ago with the then head of Costco where he said that one of their most difficult challenges is keeping the cost of their hot dogs at $1.50.

With their apparent deception re Kobe Beef, and their double speak with their current sales pitch, Celebrity is acquiring quite a name for themselves. I am sure other cruise lines do much the same, but Celebrity is the discussion here on this board.

So it seems this burger stand is now another area that caters to suite guests for no added fee...others must pay or eat pre cooked patties from the buffet bins,,...hope this is not the start of a new trend...

Maybe someday the rest of us can have Luminae leftovers for a small fee...,

The trend started with Michael's Club and moved up a level with the addition of Luminae. Believe that Edge will take ship within a ship concept to another level.