Changes in Platinum/Elite Lounge

Nrknits

Lol, strong licorice seasoning. I will admit that in the 1980's, I did drink quite a few Pernod and Lemonades in England, because it was the only drink that was serve over ice in the pubs.

It will be interesting to see how strong it tastes in the cocktail. I'm going on Royal in a couple of months so I'll try it and let you know ... that is as long as they still let us mere Platinum mortals in.

The menu attached above also says "Elite" with no mention of Platinum. Wonder if that also means it's being scaled back to just Elites?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A year ago the welcome signs on the TV screens said "Welcome to the Elite Lounge" although it was really the elite/platinum/suite lounge.

A year ago the welcome signs on the TV screens said "Welcome to the Elite Lounge" although it was really the elite/platinum/suite lounge.
This was before we became Elite, but I believe the lounge was originally started as an Elite (and full suite?) benefit but later expanded to include Platinum passengers.

Below is a menu from six years ago when the drink prices were $2.99. It mentions the lounge is reserved for Elite, Suite and Platinum Passengers. The menu from the Royal could just have been a typo but it is a change.

wirqoV3wAhlJfwH1ujEiZ5C02mv7jOSbigIlPj2Io1R0JbQCo8621ljsmSg2f_j4x02uYTATILPFfGGOJppwFfmmFY7BZtC4Lu0iC6BZjaptfb1ZaMh-X1Iwih4Keh7IpsiYJ5LnI-vjpKX0cSM8MzGdfJPoZIDucOdQQMlX7nG-viYY6XGxKgDLcsaBvfWNO3439-Cg5IDijFrHTwzumABMJTUYPjkXygtdq8PCWAPHqoIP7zDRsAFSimH_hrE3tlVxeM8YJn5TjRRBZD-EM8DKYYGsVtO3obELqubC_a1IOCsLNKeXvVdqvwQrok7k8R4eBaUt3lAS1MbhesbluGZ0Frkq2EdNVGLjIjfFybjiayX2OsvgAAvuaO7Unn7NenuaUmooP1CgkOfZSGmjYxW7yiw39iK4Lc4EOlEUJJ0TuiJ0eyUyxX2RflfoH6gcS3Eox1iI5kiRKZ8LiMEYL6iomBCT5c8aS3wHtHcy4_FEzWAzHoPk7WxkIMVTjv2F3mQCU75cxx2HDJVzvh_hnqkBm19OvTsfgWYHOZwXKR5bDHO3e8OUIc8MD641WGM_ap6Ejg83mhUckW99Umyz6tovdFG8NV-2jcqXuV9LVjjJK7Df_w4JEJQY=w1236-h1696-no

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

This was before we became Elite, but I believe the lounge was originally started as an Elite (and full suite?) benefit but later expanded to include Platinum passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Simply because they weren't making enough money with the Elite passengers alone.;)

When they start a new policy like this is usually on 1 or 2 ships to test the waters, when they were only offering the drink of the day the lounge was practically empty. So here we go again, always a genius in the main office figuring out how to make more money.

Think it's a wait and see.

On Royal now wait and see if comes on

other ships.

Maybe someone sailing now on other ships now

will tell us the price on their cruise.

I will be on the Emerald in a month and I will check it out for sure and report back!

Great to have a lot of folks reporting back after their upcoming voyages to tell us if this new menu and pricing has taken effect. Until we hear differently, this is a trial to see if it works before it goes fleet wide.

The current plan isn't broken. They tried to limit the special drink pricing to just the drink of the day and the lounge became a ghost town. If they try to just offer the proposed menu choices at the $6.50 prices and the Mojitos and Chairmens at normal bar prices, we'll see a repeat of the last ghost town situation. The menu choice represents a fruity tooty water-downed foo-foo drink that doesn't bode well for pre-dinner cocktails.

Surprised at the wholesale change of the entire menu of drinks, instead of dropping the one or two least ordered and offering new ones, keeping the most popular choices. Perhaps their strategy is to give provide undesirable ones in the hope that passengers will turn to their regular stand-by at the full price.

Hopefully someone from corporate monitors the CC boards and sees the support for Chairman of the Board and the El Major - but, that is probably expecting too much.

Ug, this news is not good for me. In Sept we will be doing a TA from London to Fla. With lots of sea days it would have been easy to drop by the P/E lounge before dinner.

Will be sure make a note to read the invite card in the Cabin as soon as I see it. That could save me a trip up to the Lounge.

Bob

Surprised at the wholesale change of the entire menu of drinks, instead of dropping the one or two least ordered and offering new ones, keeping the most popular choices. Perhaps their strategy is to give provide undesirable ones in the hope that passengers will turn to their regular stand-by at the full price.

Hopefully someone from corporate monitors the CC boards and sees the support for Chairman of the Board and the El Major - but, that is probably expecting too much.

They seem to be and have been dropping the ball in many areas. :(

I wandered into the Plat/Elite lounge on my Majestic cruise in April, not realising where I was actually at, until they asked to see my card! I didn't bother to have a drink as there was no menu (or staff) around to show it to me, so I had some snacks, and wandered out again. I did go another couple of times but didn't see more than about 20 people in the lounge!

I wandered into the Plat/Elite lounge on my Majestic cruise in April, not realising where I was actually at, until they asked to see my card! I didn't bother to have a drink as there was no menu (or staff) around to show it to me, so I had some snacks, and wandered out again. I did go another couple of times but didn't see more than about 20 people in the lounge!

We find that on most cruises it's not that crowded & you can always stop in for a snack no matter what your level. Ordering drinks is another matter. You'll have to have a friend with a Platinum or Elite card to order & pay them back. We've invited friends a few times.

I am Platinum, Floridalover, I just didn't realise that that was where I had wandered to! I was just looking around the ship!

We don't go very often since we eat early and it shuts down after we get out of the show. Unless we go with others we just don't bother.

Although I eat late, I must admit that eating in the Platinum Lounge actually filled me up, so I wasn't that hungry when I actually got to the MDR!!! I had gone on the lookout for steak tartare, which I have always wanted to try, and I did - just a tad too much of it!!!

Although I eat late, I must admit that eating in the Platinum Lounge actually filled me up, so I wasn't that hungry when I actually got to the MDR!!! I had gone on the lookout for steak tartare, which I have always wanted to try, and I did - just a tad too much of it!!!

Curious which ship/cruise you were on when they had the Tartare ? I haven't seen it offered for years.

OMG, that new menu sounds nasty. No more Chairman of the Board or Cosmos? Here's the ingredients in a Deep Sea Martini:

3 oz gin

1 oz dry vermouth

1/2 tsp Pernod® licorice liqueur

1 dash orange bitters

That is disgusting. I don't like Pernod in my gin. :eek:.

I am with you ... nasty!! I doubt if I will even bother to go any longer. Too bad because I loved going up there just before dinner in the evening. At least I have the beverage package for two of my next cruises booked with them.

I don't even think I saw one vodka drink on their menu and to make matters worse, there is nothing more disgusting to me than mint or licorice. Wish they would have added a simple glass of red or white wine to the list instead. Bleck!!

Curious which ship/cruise you were on when they had the Tartare ? I haven't seen it offered for years.

It was available twice during a 15-day Hawaii cruise on the Star in January (other nights; guacamole & chips; smoked salmon; salsa & chips; Stilton; goat cheese; shrimp).

On a 7-day cruise I don't recall if Tartare was available but know that shrimp was not available so maybe now such things are more often limited to longer cruises. :confused:

I've seen it, too, recently. I think maybe on longer cruises? 14+ days?
Edited by Astro Flyer

I was on the Majestic sailing in April from Athens. On an 8 day cruise they had it twice.

I am with you ... nasty!! I doubt if I will even bother to go any longer. Too bad because I loved going up there just before dinner in the evening. At least I have the beverage package for two of my next cruises booked with them.

I don't even think I saw one vodka drink on their menu and to make matters worse, there is nothing more disgusting to me than mint or licorice. Wish they would have added a simple glass of red or white wine to the list instead. Bleck!!

I think I have a fix for the Deep Sea Martini. I will order one, but tell them to hold the Pernod and orange bitters, and add some olives.;) Then I will sneak in one of those little bottles of vodka from the cabin elite bar and make my own Chairman.

DH and I had a "Sip and Sail" for our 19-day Panama cruise last November on the Island. We never did go to Elite Lounge. We spent a lot of time in Crooner's, drinking the good stuff.

Wouldn't they have plenty of bar records to base their decision on?

On the other hand, maybe this is the new curtis stone drink menu?