New feature on Sea Pass Cards

warmwinds

I would suggest the next time you are on the ship to try to open the door from outside with the deadbolt engaged.

You might/will be surprised what happens!

What is the point of a deadbolt if it can be defeated from the outside??????????

I can understand it being overridden with a master key in cases of emergency but not with a passenger key card.

I know there are reports of this on the Princess boards but are other lines the same????

Edited by icsys

I worry more about coming back to my room and the room stewart has the door blocked open but he has gone somewhere to retrieve something or get rid of dishes or garbage. That being said, we have never lost anything on a cruise.

Good luck with that request. I'm sure they'll have an option when your cards are already printed to reprint it for you when you check in without the number.

I still cannot see what problem people have with this.

I actually think they would save a lot of money by placing little stickers that can be written on for those people that are constantly 'forgetting' their cabin numbers. Hahaha!!

What is the point of a deadbolt if it can be defeated from the outside??????????

I can understand it being overridden with a master key in cases of emergency but not with a passenger key card.

I know there are reports of this on the Princess boards but are other lines the same????

I can state with certainty that I had our cabin door locked on Celebrity Equinox as I was arranging a birthday present for my husband. He put his card in the door and the lock was unlocked. I was shocked! If I need to do anything in secret I'll lock myself in the WC!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How is this any different to what you have at home? We can lock and unlock ("defeat") our deadbolts from both inside and outside by using a key.

The dead bolts have always been overridden by occupant cards. I don't think people are generally concerned about putting the deadbolt on for their cabin mate.

Most people on cruises are just nice people on vacation but to think there are never bad people on your cruise is a little naive. I'm not overly concerned but it just seems completely unnecessary to put the number on the card no matter how small the risk. If someone forgets his cabin number he can go to guest relations and get it.

I've seen plenty of people leaving their cards in slot machines.

But that's why you cabin door has a deadbolt.

Um... don't forget to un-bolt the deadbolt if your DH or DW is out and you go to sleep with earplugs in. I automatically flip the thing and get into trouble with this. I get up the next am and...sleepless, angry spouse.

If having the numbers worries or upsets anyone, it would take very little elbow grease to rub the numbers off of the key card. ;)

I have started bring some packing tape to cover the face of our cards, because by the middle of a 10 day or so cruise, our cards are almost unreadable. I think that sunscreen is the worse culprit, but just everyday handling, hand sanitizer, etc. rubs the lettering off.;)

We tend to take longer cruises (measured in weeks or months) and the card issue is an issue on most cruise lines. But it only takes a few seconds to stop by Guest Relations and have them make you a new card. Personally, we have no reason to read the stuff on a card...but it becomes a problem if the "Folio" number cannot be read....because some bar waiters will simply copy that number (when taking a lot of drink orders).

Hank

Looks like we have some people who are over-reacting and are alarmists. A sad way to live. I have never felt threatened or not safe on a cruise. Passengers and crew have been friendly and cordial. This is not a major city. People go on a cruise to have a good time and that's it. Just look at everyone boarding, especially on Celebrity. A great group of people.

I hope you never are forced to remove your rose colored glasses.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/sex-assault-victims-cruise-ships-are-often-under-18-n777901

https://www.lipcon.com/blog/category/cruise-ship-rape-sexual-assault/

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2016/10/articles/crime/accurate-cruise-crime-statistics-finally-available/

https://www.labovick.com/2015/02/16/often-sexual-assaultrape-happen-cruise-lines/

https://www.rainn.org/articles/crime-cruise-ships

Um... don't forget to un-bolt the deadbolt if your DH or DW is out and you go to sleep with earplugs in. I automatically flip the thing and get into trouble with this. I get up the next am and...sleepless, angry spouse.

How can that be when we are being told that the card over-rides the deadlock? May I ask which line you generally sail with?

I can state with certainty that I had our cabin door locked on Celebrity Equinox as I was arranging a birthday present for my husband. He put his card in the door and the lock was unlocked. I was shocked! If I need to do anything in secret I'll lock myself in the WC!

Someone trying the lock with the wrong key cannot enter whether the deadbolt is on or off.

Someone tying the lock with ANY key programmed for the lock can enter even if the deadbolt is on.

I would question what is the point of having a deadbolt fitted at all?

To be honest I can't recall ever using the deadbolt in the past. It would seem to have been pointless anyway assuming RCI ships are the same, but I will test this out on our next cruise.

Sorry, but the comments are a bit of an overreaction. If someone is going to stalk another, they are not going to care whether they have a card with the last three numbers, they will just go for it. Seems to me the odds of a card being lost and falling into the hands of the one or two people on the cruise with criminal intent are pretty slim.

Sorry, but the comments are a bit of an overreaction. If someone is going to stalk another, they are not going to care whether they have a card with the last three numbers, they will just go for it. Seems to me the odds of a card being lost and falling into the hands of the one or two people on the cruise with criminal intent are pretty slim.

I agree, but why make it easier for you to become a victim? Because customer service needs to answer a few more passenger questions? That is the point.

Agreed. When a card is lost, you know it rather quickly. You go to the desk and that card is cancelled and a new card is issued. I wonder how many cards are actually lost versus left in the room by mistake.

Some people just love to question the motives of others and look on the negative. Not a way to go on vacation or even to live.

OMG!!!:eek: Another catastrophic evil thing that Celebrity is doing to ruin your cruise and safety. I believe you should all get together and file a class action lawsuit. I'm surprised fishy didn't think of that first. :D

There are cameras everywhere on the ship; even when you don't see them. Anyone who attempts nefarious actions is very likely to be caught on Candid Camera. So at least Celebrity is more likely to be able to solve your murder...if they were even interested in doing that.

Wow. I never realized how many people suspect their fellow passengers are out to get them or their stuff.

We are on a ship so often on back to back cruises I like the idea that I have reminder of where I live this week.

As has been mentioned, if this is a concern, that lettering is easily removed by every day use.

I am sure that concerned people could have guest relations remove the threatening numbers.

I'm more worried about the people that have a key and have access to your stateroom at any time.

OMG!!!:eek: Another catastrophic evil thing that Celebrity is doing to ruin your cruise and safety. I believe you should all get together and file a class action lawsuit. I'm surprised fishy didn't think of that first. :D

There are cameras everywhere on the ship; even when you don't see them. Anyone who attempts nefarious actions is very likely to be caught on Candid Camera. So at least Celebrity is more likely to be able to solve your murder...if they were even interested in doing that.

As the Kinks song goes, "paranoia, they destroy ya"

I guess those who sail Royal Caribbean aren't as skittish.

Some people just love to question the motives of others and look on the negative. Not a way to go on vacation or even to live.

Tempest in a fishbowl.

As I said before, I'm not overly concerned about it and definitely am not "paranoid" about anything as I travel the world but those of you who are not concerned at all have obviously never had an unpleasant situation with another passenger.

You automatically think about murderers and thieves. I've had an uncomfortable experience with a man who seemed to be following me around and was overly interested in what I was doing. I've also had the same kind of thing to an even greater extent with my daughter. We are both able to manage the situation but I certainly prefer to have a little more control over who can discover my cabin number. I would also think all you big, bad men would have a little more concern for the women in your lives.

It's really something that no one should even have to be thinking about.