Would you switch to save $1,000

Wow you guys/gals are great responding so quickly and with some many tips.

As some have suggested to make the switch now to grab the savings and try to change back to a balcony after final payment what are the chances cabin's will open up? As of today the ship is nearly sold out - no suites, balcony, o.view left for 2 ppl. That is why I'm so apprehensive to give up the balcony cabin.

I would not go from a Balcony to an Interior to save any amount of money. I might be able to be convinced to go from a Balcony to an OV (window) but PROBABLY not.

My sentiments exactly....especially on a 9 night cruise. No way would I do it.

Wow you guys/gals are great responding so quickly and with some many tips.

As some have suggested to make the switch now to grab the savings and try to change back to a balcony after final payment what are the chances cabin's will open up? As of today the ship is nearly sold out - no suites, balcony, o.view left for 2 ppl. That is why I'm so apprehensive to give up the balcony cabin.

Personally, I would save the $1000 and put it towards the flights. That said, the way you described how you utilize the balcony while your hubby sleeps in the morning, I think you will miss the balcony. I would just get my coffee and sit in one of the quiet private areas outside located all over the ship to save the money, but hey, I am paying for 3 cabins usually since we always travel with our kids.

I like the idea of downgrading cabins to the promenade cabin and then looking for an upgrade to a balcony prior to sailing for a good rate. The only thing you need to decide if you do this is can you live without the balcony if the option to upgrade does not materialize.

Personally I would not travel in a lower category than a balcony. There's no way I am going to be cooped up in that little room without being able to enjoy some fresh air. Besides, I really like hearing the sounds of the ocean at night.

That being said, if you feel like you can give up the balcony, then by all means do so. Everyone has their own set of things that are important to them.

I wouldn't give up a balcony. We only cruise once a year and I enjoy my balcony time too much...coffee in the morning, sitting out on the balcony after returning from excursions and taking showers, sailing out of port, watching the sun set, wine on the balcony, reading a book on sea days when I want some quiet time. I may only use it an hour or so a day but it is one of the things I love about cruising.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

We did give up a hump balcony for a promenade. The difference in cost was $1000. I loved sitting on the love seat people watching. But, I did miss the balcony. We enjoy coffee on the balcony in the morning and wine out there before going to bed.

I would rather a balcony but if it meant cruise or no cruise I would book a promenade again.

I need the fresh air. Cruising usually once a year, with rare exceptions twice, so I splurge.

I've been on an OV in Hawaii (but didn't pay for it, so couldn't complain about the cabin), and Galapagos, where I've booked the last available cabin for the only date I could go.

If I can't find/afford a balcony, I'm not going :D

For $1,000, I would probably take the promenade cabin. But it all depends: Is this the only cruise you'll take this year? Will you be off the ship on port days? Will you go to shows & do other things in the evenings?

I love balconies, but if you're going to be busy, the extra cost might not be worth it. We have two balconies booked in the future, but we've also booked an inside for a Panama Canal cruise early next year because the price difference is so great.

We did some scuba diving in Bonaire last year. It was one of the most wonderful experiences of my life. You will have a super time.

There's something weird going on with balcony inventories not just on that sailing but a few others. It is very unusual to not have any balconies on so many sailings - I think RCI is playing games with inventory. We had no problem booking a balcony inside final payment on Navigator on that itinerary earlier this year. You have to take a chance that not only balconies will be available but at a discount over what you already have. On the same sailing this year, the X GTY rate bottomed out at $1248pp on 12/1/16 ( the promenade cabin was $829pp on the same day).

One thing to think of for a Jan. cruise-there is less daylight in a winter cruise than summer. It was dark by 6 pm on our Dec. cruise in the Caribbean. Less time to sit outside on the balcony,unless you like sitting in the dark.

I was on this cruise this past January. It was COLD.

Aruba was the worst. I had on a 3/2 with a shorty over that. Poor vis, could barely see 25 ft.

I stayed on the boat with the captain when they dive again. There was a downpour. I'm glad I always bring my dive jacket.

I tried to book the wreck, but no one was doing it.

I'm assuming you are not bringing you own dive gear as you will need a balcony to dry it out.

Bonaire was also cold. Not as bad as Aruba. Did a boat dive. I couldn't warm up between dives. Only did one dive. I did find a nurse shark. The owner of the shop has only seen 15 sharks in 10 years. The dive master was very happy

I found it chilling under an overhang. Awesome dive.

I've spent a week in Bonaire and Curacao diving before.

Curacao was the best that cruise. It was mostly sunny and warm.

I only book privately except when I go to Roatan.

I think the Curacao dive company was Baas Hass???? Was awesome. Most expensive but worth it. Includes all equipment (didn't matter to me. I bring my own) and free video of your dive. They only take 2 people unless it is a family, then they will take 4 divers

After 8 years of diving in FL and the Caribbean, I finally saw some sea horses in Curacao. The dive master let me dive my air as it was only the 2 of us.

Sometimes cabins open up after final payment.

I'm going to try these islands on a cruise again in MARCH 2019.

I hope for better weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

We are booked on the Navigator 9 night in a deluxe Balcony "hump" cabin #8612. First time sailing with RCCL - we picked this sailing because of Bonaire this is on our bucket list being avid scuba diver's. Contemplating changing cabins to a Promenade Interior to save $1,000 which would basically cover our airfare which is especially high because of the holiday the 1st week of January.

We have always sailed in either a Balcony or Suite on Carnival, I'm an early riser and love to go get my coffee and breakfast to have on the balcony without disturbing my husband who likes to sleep in when he can. The $1,000 is very tempting, is the cabin really that much smaller? I do like that the Promenade interior has 2 loveseat type couches to sit on. Any opinions are appreciated.

I would switch. :)

There's something weird going on with balcony inventories not just on that sailing but a few others. It is very unusual to not have any balconies on so many sailings - I think RCI is playing games with inventory. We had no problem booking a balcony inside final payment on Navigator on that itinerary earlier this year. You have to take a chance that not only balconies will be available but at a discount over what you already have. On the same sailing this year, the X GTY rate bottomed out at $1248pp on 12/1/16 ( the promenade cabin was $829pp on the same day).

We are also on the 9 day ABC sailing next year. Balconies were "sold out" since forever. There is a large group on our sailing.

Do you establish a budget before vacation? If so, is airfare and balcony in the budget? Are you comfortable with the grand total? If so, keep balcony. If total is above budgeted amount go for the reduction. I enjoy a balcony, but I don't $1000 more enjoy a balcony on any ship.

Fair disclosure; I am booked on 9 night Navigator in a Balcony, but I originally booked PR room and Royal screwed the booking up and upgraded me no additional charge. I was not willing to pay more for the balcony room at the time.

I would save the $1000 but that is just me. You can get your coffee and go sit at the back of the ship and not be bothered by anyone. You can pay for nearly another cruise with that $1000. Promenade rooms aren't bad. It can be fun to people watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I are actually booked in a PR cabin on Deck 8 for the 9 night Navigator itinerary this year. We've done both PR and balconies and for us personally we prefer to save the money. The layout of the PR was at least for us very adequate, and to be honest we didn't use our balcony a whole lot on our last cruise. It forces us to get out and around the ship which I like. Especially for $1000 I would switch, but as you can tell it's a very subjective subject. There really is no wrong answer IMO, but if it were me I'd take the money.

Someone mentioned in earlier post that there is only one sofa. That’s not correct. You get two.

Doubtful that second small couch is going to sway you one way or another but just want to set the record straight in case others are reading this post and is also considering choosing between PR and balcony.

We are booked on a 9 night Indy cruise in late December, fairly similar to your cruise, just different islands. They are pricing the PR cabins and balcony to be approx. $1K apart as well so this price gap seems to be common for the late 9 nights cruise right now. Of course, price gap will change like the stock market so who know what it may be next week?

I won’t give my opinion on what you should do as it’s not my position to suggest how you should spend your money. Do keep in mind if you or others opt for PR cabins during the holiday season, avoid the forward ones as they will be blocked by the Christmas tree. Unless you enjoy Christmas tree view, then that’s different story…

31945360352_88f973821d_h.jpg

31920615981_711a2dfd55_h.jpg

enhance

We did 28dys B2B in a PR, they're the best bargain afloat, that bay window makes all the difference !

For $1000 savings I'd do it, deck6 forward, you can go down the stairs to Promenade Cafe quickly in the mornings:)

Have a great trip.

Have been on over 50 cruises, the worst mistake I have ever made was to do a B2B where the first week was in JR Suite, the second week was in a PR. It was staying in the Embassy Suites the first week and staying in the Due Drop Inn the second week.