re meat pies

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Do I detect carrot in the filling? Tsk tsk! Beef, potato, swede, onion, salt and pepper are the only things permitted in a Cornish pasty. Sorry, mate, what you've made is just a beef and vege pie. 😁

Interestingly Julie, my mother's Cornish ancestors were from a mining area in the far west of Cornwall. Her grandmother used her mother's recipe for Cornish pasties and she used carrot in hers. I know not a traditional part of the recipe but it is a root vegetable!

9 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Those look very tasty Leigh. I take it that the celebration is on. Have a great time while you are being safe. Happy Birthday to your Mom.

Thanks Lyle. Yes, we are able to have the celebration next Tuesday, but sadly it will also be a celebration of the life of my nephew who passed away unexpectantly on Wednesday. My sister insisted that Mum's afternoon tea go ahead as planned. So Wednesday we all travel back to Melbourne for a funeral in the afternoon.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Thanks Lyle. Yes, we are able to have the celebration next Tuesday, but sadly it will also be a celebration of the life of my nephew who passed away unexpectantly on Wednesday. My sister insisted that Mum's afternoon tea go ahead as planned. So Wednesday we all travel back to Melbourne for a funeral in the afternoon.

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your nephew, that sort of puts a damper on the joy of your mom reaching such a milestone birthday.

Best regards, Lyle & Lynn

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your nephew, that sort of puts a damper on the joy of your mom reaching such a milestone birthday.

Best regards, Lyle & Lynn

Yes it does, but my family is very good at taking the good with the bad and we will all make sure Mum enjoys her afternoon tea. There will be lots of laughter and tears I'm sure.

Edited by possum52
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your nephew, Leigh. 😘

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Of course after seeing your sausage roll pics, Leigh, I had a craving for sausage rolls for lunch. Luckily I had some in the freezer, I just have to bake them.

Enjoy. I’m home by myself so having steamed dim sims for lunch.

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Interestingly Julie, my mother's Cornish ancestors were from a mining area in the far west of Cornwall. Her grandmother used her mother's recipe for Cornish pasties and she used carrot in hers. I know not a traditional part of the recipe but it is a root vegetable!

I have had carrots in my cornish pastie in St Ives, Cornwall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I have had carrots in my cornish pastie in St Ives, Cornwall.

Was that before 2011? If not they weren't proper Cornish pasties.

"In 2011, Cornish pasties were given both a Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) and Protected Geographical Indication (PGI) status, which means that in order for these pasties to be made commercially and bear the name “Cornish pasty”, they have to meet very specific requirements.  These requirements are as follows:

• They have to be made in Cornwall.
  • They can only contain beef, potato, Swede (rutabaga), onion, salt and pepper.  No other meat, no other vegetables, no other seasonings allowed.
  • The ingredients must be raw when the pasties are assembled and then slowly baked to produce the traditional Cornish pasty flavor and texture.
  • The edges of the pasties must be sealed by crimping them in traditional Cornish fashion."
  • Like 1

My mother-in-law used to make individual pasties for her husband and son who worked on the mines in Broken Hill. Sometimes she would make a large batch and put the extra filling in a pie large enough to feed the family that night. Back in those days it as a cheap meal especially if you grew your own vegetables. The vegetables were often what you could pick at that time. Yes salt and pepper were the only seasoning allowed. My pie recipe is only what I remember her doing.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Since I was already using the oven to roast some chicken carcasses for stock it was pies for lunch today, from our favourite bakery.

I make my own chicken stock from chicken carcasses but hadn’t heard of roasting them first. Does that enhance the flavour?

Pies are in the news with pie franchisee suing United.  Another revealing story about the hidden story behind franchise purchases.  Has anyone bought a pie from one of these pie shops within petrol stations?  Seems they had huge wastage of stock.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

I make my own chicken stock from chicken carcasses but hadn’t heard of roasting them first. Does that enhance the flavour?

Yes, roasting the carcasses, or beef bones if you're making beef stock, enhances the flavour. I just roast them enough to get some caramelisation on the bones. After putting the carcasses into the stock pot I drain any fat off the roasting pan then add some water to get all the brown bits off it, then add the water to the stock pot.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Pies are in the news with pie franchisee suing United.  Another revealing story about the hidden story behind franchise purchases.  Has anyone bought a pie from one of these pie shops within petrol stations?  Seems they had huge wastage of stock.

I assume it’s Pie Face, funny thing is they had free standing store, and went broke, but continues selling through United. To be Frank not a great pie, I had one or two when they were free standing and I think one from United, much rather just grab a 4&20 or Mrs Macs.

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I assume it’s Pie Face, funny thing is they had free standing store, and went broke, but continues selling through United. To be Frank not a great pie, I had one or two when they were free standing and I think one from United, much rather just grab a 4&20 or Mrs Macs.

I wondered how good they were. I would have thought it would have been a good business with a captive audience. Unfortunately many franchises are about owner making money rather than quality product.