re meat pies

52 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I have a follow up appointment with my regular GP on Thursday. Basically, they reckon a gallstone, which, has been there for years may be causing a blockage to a duct from pancreas causing pancreatitis. It's likely I'll be referred to a gut surgeon to have my gall bladder deleted from inventory.

Pancreatitis is very painful Lyndon, I sympathise with you. I had my gall bladder out over 20 years ago. I really have had no problems since and don't really have to be careful in what I eat, except I find I can't eat much cheese while drinking wine.

Good luck!

Leigh

1 minute ago, possum52 said:

Pancreatitis is very painful Lyndon, I sympathise with you. I had my gall bladder out over 20 years ago. I really have had no problems since and don't really have to be careful in what I eat, except I find I can't eat much cheese while drinking wine.

Good luck!

Leigh

Thanks. Not happy about the cheese as I don't mind veal pyjamas occasionally, or a tomato and cheese sanga. No more Maarsdam cheese then.

3 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Thanks. Not happy about the cheese as I don't mind veal pyjamas occasionally, or a tomato and cheese sanga. No more Maarsdam cheese then.

I still eat cheese Lyndon, I love it but just can't tolerate it if drinking wine at the same time. I had a cheese sandwich for lunch. 

Leigh

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Look for lower fat cheeses, like gruyere, rather than supermarket tasty cheeses which are very high in fat. Gruyere is a bit expensive but it has a very good flavour so you don't need much of it.

And Edam is another low fat cheese that's good in sangas.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

6 hours ago, possum52 said:

I still eat cheese Lyndon, I love it but just can't tolerate it if drinking wine at the same time. I had a cheese sandwich for lunch. 

Leigh

I cannot drink wine pre dinner without some strong cheese like Cracker Barrel and some rice crackers. If i have scotch and dry pre dinner it is salted mixed nuts.

CB_Range.jpg.994183589324acbbdfea549411db9927.jpg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

I don’t like cheese enough to have it on a sandwich Leigh. However I always have Dutch cheese in the house.  I like it on crackers with something else.  I just grated cheese on 
minestrone soup.

• Like 1

I live with a "cheese mouse". I call him that because when he started working from home many years ago we suddenly seemed to go through a lot of cheese, although I rarely saw him eating it. When asked he claimed it was the cheese mouse! 

We tend to have a range of cheese in our fridge:

- Parmesan (Gran Pandano) for pasta.

- Gruyere for cooking.

- Tilsit or Edam as a mild eating cheese

- A good strong cheddar

- Brie or camembert

And sometimes things like feta, or a Greek cheese, or anything else that might be left over from trying new recipes.

• Like 1

The Feta Cheese pot has a permanent place in our fridge, along with Romano, Bega Black Label Cheddar and whatever happens to be cheese of the week for after dinner.

We use Feta on our salads and Bruschetta as well as in our cooking, and it needs to be kept in Brine to maintain its taste and long life. A brine needs to be renewed every couple of months and is simply a mix of 1 part non iodised cooking salt to 10 parts water, eg 100g salt to 1 litre(1000g) water.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I don’t like cheese enough to have it on a sandwich Leigh. However I always have Dutch cheese in the house.  I like it on crackers with something else.  I just grated cheese on 
minestrone soup.

Cheese and pickled sandwich is great. My daughter says I have more cheese in my fridge than is stored at Bega Cheese, down the highway, lol. I have block cheddar, like Cracker Barrel extra sharp or special reserve if you can get it. Or the old standby Bega Strong and Bitey. Also sliced Bega cheese, plus grated parmesan and grated tasty cheese, sometimes some mozzerella. I put cheese on nearly everything.

When on the cruise ships, the waiter has to give me a bowl of parmesan cheese for my food, shaking it, not enough, lol.

I just had a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, with mustard pickles.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

I just had a ham and cheese sandwich for lunch, with mustard pickles.

I had a couple of corned beef and cheese rolls, slightly heated in the micro to just melt the cheese & a coffee, followed by a white chocolate and cranberry cookie for dessert - living the dream 🙂 

16 hours ago, mr walker said:

I had a couple of corned beef and cheese rolls, slightly heated in the micro to just melt the cheese & a coffee, followed by a white chocolate and cranberry cookie for dessert - living the dream 🙂 

You are living well in the Lucky Country, Neil, enjoy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Cornish Pie perhaps?

Cornish pastie has meat and veg and the crimped bit was a handle for Ye olde cornish miners.

th.jpg

th (1).jpg

Edited by NSWP

19 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Cornish pastie has meat and veg and the crimped bit was a handle for Ye olde cornish miners.

th.jpg

th (1).jpg

The miners threw the handle away as well as being dirty it possibly had traces of arsenic on it from the miners' hands.

Leigh

59 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

Last night I decided to cook my late mother-in-law's cornish pastie pie.  No recipe so just tried to remember.  This was a common meal in the Broken Hill mining community.

0694506A-A74F-443D-8394-E1FF20BA3746_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7c6029dc0ecf539740215c315087f72f.jpeg4D77C036-A2D8-4C3A-BEBB-9A2233B61067_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.83a5852e5a1915822bdc6111a7f00790.jpeg

Looks nice John, but not the traditional cornish pasty shape.

2024394966_th(1).jpg.52b30bdf2eb95711540145fefd464052.jpg

1 hour ago, dillpickle48 said:

Last night I decided to cook my late mother-in-law's cornish pastie pie.  No recipe so just tried to remember.  This was a common meal in the Broken Hill mining community.

0694506A-A74F-443D-8394-E1FF20BA3746_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.7c6029dc0ecf539740215c315087f72f.jpeg4D77C036-A2D8-4C3A-BEBB-9A2233B61067_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.83a5852e5a1915822bdc6111a7f00790.jpeg

Do I detect carrot in the filling? Tsk tsk! Beef, potato, swede, onion, salt and pepper are the only things permitted in a Cornish pasty. Sorry, mate, what you've made is just a beef and vege pie. 😁