re meat pies

36 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Much better, has to be thin steak though, like minute steak otherwise, it is too hard to eat.

No, not minute steak. I use fillet in the steak sandwiches I make. Buy a piece about an 2.5 - 3cm thick and slice it once cooked. So, so good.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

This is definitely frankenfood😂

Screenshot_20210822-230217_Opera.jpg.db2bfff23c37a622325b29176ce2ac3d.jpg

Look away now… the ‘lamington burger’ is a thing

Seriously??? That is more gross than the one with 2 pies. Pies are a beautiful, all inclusive self contained meals. You don't need to add anything to it. 

I haven't had a lamington but isn't that a pastry usually served with tea?

Take the center of that thing and put it in a nice rustic bun or even focaccia and you have a robust meal, as it is...dog food.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Seriously??? That is more gross than the one with 2 pies. Pies are a beautiful, all inclusive self contained meals. You don't need to add anything to it. 

I haven't had a lamington but isn't that a pastry usually served with tea?

Take the center of that thing and put it in a nice rustic bun or even focaccia and you have a robust meal, as it is...dog food.

Lamington is sponge cake dipped in chocolate and covered with coconut. I love but wouldn't spoil them with all the other good stuff. 

1 hour ago, kate59 said:

Lamington is sponge cake dipped in chocolate and covered with coconut. I love but wouldn't spoil them with all the other good stuff. 

When my children were at primary school mothers used to hold a working bee making lamingtons from big slabs of sponge cake cut in squares dipped in chocolate and coconut.  They used to be sold by the dozen then. Now they are sold singularly. Although I did buy a

half dozen in the Bush.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

When my children were at primary school mothers used to hold a working bee making lamingtons from big slabs of sponge cake cut in squares dipped in chocolate and coconut.  They used to be sold by the dozen then. Now they are sold singularly. Although I did buy a

half dozen in the Bush.

Our local fire brigade ladies auxiliary did the same up to when we all needed food handlers certificates. We had so much fun making them. A great way to make money for our brigade.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Our local fire brigade ladies auxiliary did the same up to when we all needed food handlers certificates. We had so much fun making them. A great way to make money for our brigade.

No one felt like eating a lamington at the end  of a long day.!  Although it was lots of fun and a great way to raise. My friends Breast Cancer club makes home made lollies and sells them at the hospital. They quickly sell out as not many people make home made sweets in the city any more.  

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Best make it clear to the foreign guests…

This is not hard crunchy chocolate.. more a liquid chocolate wash. Icing sugar, cocoa powder, water/milk, perhaps some butter.

I would call it choc icing with a syrupy consistency. The recipe I use is 4 cups icing sugar, 1/3 cup of cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon butter and 150 ml of boiling water. 

You can actually use dark chocolate instead of cocoa and water.

• Like 1

When I was a kid I hated icing so never liked chocolate lamingtons, but give me the raspberry equivalant which were dipped in raspberry jelly before rolling in coconut and I'd hoover them up. 

I don't know why I didn't like icing. Texture? Too sweet? I didn't really start eating it until later in life. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

When I was a kid I hated icing so never liked chocolate lamingtons, but give me the raspberry equivalant which were dipped in raspberry jelly before rolling in coconut and I'd hoover them up. 

I don't know why I didn't like icing. Texture? Too sweet? I didn't really start eating it until later in life. 

Whereas as a kid I loved icing but not so much now. Too sweet for my taste buds. My mum used to make pink lamingtons. You don't see them much anymore but I did see them in Woolies the other day. More expensive than the chocolate variety.

Mum used to bake cakes for birthdays with homemade icing - we didn't get store bought cakes in those days. Us kids weren't really that keen on the cake, more the icing and sprinkles & a big delight was being able to lick the icing off the mix-master blades. Life was much simpler than, even with the fights for the icing licks 🙂  

42 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Whereas as a kid I loved icing but not so much now. Too sweet for my taste buds. My mum used to make pink lamingtons. You don't see them much anymore but I did see them in Woolies the other day. More expensive than the chocolate variety.

The Woolies ones are horrible. I tried them once. I rarely see them in Australia but they are very popular in NZ and even the supermarket ones are nice there - at least the Pak-n-Save ones were.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Mum used to bake cakes for birthdays with homemade icing - we didn't get store bought cakes in those days. Us kids weren't really that keen on the cake, more the icing and sprinkles & a big delight was being able to lick the icing off the mix-master blades. Life was much simpler than, even with the fights for the icing licks 🙂  

Mum used to have to leave a section of cake uniced for me. We never had store bought cakes either although Mum would sometimes buy things like brandy snaps from a cake shop. I had first dibs on licking the cake batter beaters if I was around at baking time. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mr walker said:

My three year old granddaughter only likes the icing. She eats all that off and leaves the cake or biscuit. I should just giver her a bowl of icing 😄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, possum52 said:

My three year old granddaughter only likes the icing. She eats all that off and leaves the cake or biscuit. I should just giver her a bowl of icing 😄

Make icing "cakes" for her. Pipe or spoon icing into circles or funny shapes on baking paper and let it set. Add sprinkles or decorate them with food colouring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

I’d never seen pink lamingtons until I saw some home made ones at Christmas 

• Like 1

Mum didn’t have an oven most of my childhood, but gee my grandmother could cook, her lamingtons were to die for.

Worst lamington I ever ate was on a Princess cruise pink icing and shredded coconut, the icing was way harder (think iced dounut) than it should be. But then their version of a BBQ left a lot to be desired.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Make icing "cakes" for her. Pipe or spoon icing into circles or funny shapes on baking paper and let it set. Add sprinkles or decorate them with food colouring.

She would love that Julie! Thanks for the idea.

Pies aside.

My grandmother taught me to cook and I have continued the tradition in teaching some of the grandchildren. My 16 year old one has helped me with the Christmas puddings since he was 5 - first time he was amazed that counting was included in cooking. I was cooking 6 puddings for family and friends so we did in 3 batches of 2 so we had to double mixture. Last year was so good having him to our 2 now - he did all the preparation still under supervision and he now ties the pudding (in cloth) as I no longer have the strength in my hands since being sick last year. Already booked him for this November, if we ever get out of lock down. I mailed him a book today to put a smile on his face.

Stay safe everyone

• Like 1

As kids mum would make most of the cakes, sometimes with her mother chipping in. Both good.

However, for some years one of dad’s brother worked in our suburb. He was a pastry chef in a commercial bakery. So we used to get deliveries of all sorts of goodies. His match sticks were to die for. 

• Like 2