re meat pies

42 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Have a very happy birthday Lyle.....   are you having a nice dinner tonight ???

I will toast with a glass of Riesling with our salmon tonight...

Cheers Don

We had salmon last night Don, and we do like a nice Riesling. We had sushi for dinner quite low key.

We will probably do something a little more posh during the road trip. Maybe at the Banff Springs Hotel or Chateau Lake Louise. We would like to do lunch on the patio at Lake Louise, I took a look at the menu and it is just so chefy. I don't mind the ridiculous prices $32.00 for a burger it just seems to be a very small menu with very limited appeal. Maybe we can get a nice glass of wine and some cheese.

9 minutes ago, kate59 said:

🎈 Happy Birthday!

🔥      🔥      🔥

📍      📍      📍

📍      📍      📍

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓

🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂🍓🎂

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂🎂

I am just a few days older. 

Cheers, my best friend is 3 days older than me, it's a running joke.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

I'm glad you managed to incorporate the actual topic of the thread in your greeting😉

Got to stay on topic….I was going to wish you a Hap “pie”  Birthday..just to stay on topic. 😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kate59 said:

That was Sunday night for us, and 2 meals frozen. Pumpkin cheap in our area at present.

Yes it has been cheap here too, so taking advantage of it. I made a pot last week with with butternut and then this week (Saturday) with kent. It was $1.50 kg. I tend to freeze some  too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Yes it has been cheap here too, so taking advantage of it. I made a pot last week with with butternut and then this week (Saturday) with kent. It was $1.50 kg. I tend to freeze some  too.

Yes I got 3 Kent from IGA last week @ 99c a kilo.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

I thought pumpkin soup only came in a can !!  Not mad on pumpkin.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Cheers, my best friend is 3 days older than me, it's a running joke.

Happy Birthday young Lyle, I got 10 years on you.  My sister's birthday today, 70 she is having a 3 day party at Mooloolaba on Qld Sunshine Coast with a group of friends, I was invited but I was not allowed to cross the border.🤬

Enjoy your day Lyle.

Edited by NSWP
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

pumpkin soup doesn’t go to well with pies.

Or anything else for that matter, but Mrs G loves it so maybe I need to make her some.

Pumpkin soup is an easy soup to make and cheap when pumpkins are inexpensive.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Overall   only really have one soup.....  Pea and Ham 

about to make another batch soon.

Don

Growing up Pea & Ham soup was a family staple in the winter months. Mum would make up a batch in a big steel pot (more like a bikkie barrel than a cooking pot) for the weekend & we would all get our fill 'til Sunday night. It was special soup that never seemed to runout - a bit more water & 30' on the heat & we were all good to go again. Good memories.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mr walker said:

Growing up Pea & Ham soup was a family staple in the winter months. Mum would make up a batch in a big steel pot (more like a bikkie barrel than a cooking pot) for the weekend & we would all get our fill 'til Sunday night. It was special soup that never seemed to runout - a bit more water & 30' on the heat & we were all good to go again. Good memories.

Pease porridge hot, pease porridge cold. Pease porridge in the pot nine days old?

Edited by lyndarra
speelin

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

I get this one Neil, often $1.50 on special, tasty.

Chunky_Soup_Pea__Ham_Front-767x767.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

sorry to say Pumpkin soup.... doesn't  cut it for me......  the BH likes it........lol

Overall   only really have one soup.....  Pea and Ham 

about to make another batch soon.

Don

Save time Don

Chunky_Soup_Pea__Ham_Front-767x767.jpg

Pea soup is one of the few things that just don't appeal to me. I do enjoy a good butternut squash soup though. For me it's not "simple" to make, it starts by roasting the cut up squash with a middle eastern spice called raz al hanuit. From there it's pretty simple. I usually finish it in the bowl with a swirl of heavy cream.

• Like 2

OXTAIL SOUP, has anyone seen that in a can in recent years? ,Used to have it as a kid, home made and in a can.  I also had it a couple of times in 2012 on P&O UK - Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton.   Oxtail Soup is a British thing. Lubbly Jubbly.

download.jpg

Edited by NSWP

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Pea soup is one of the few things that just don't appeal to me. I do enjoy a good butternut squash soup though. For me it's not "simple" to make, it starts by roasting the cut up squash with a middle eastern spice called raz al hanuit. From there it's pretty simple. I usually finish it in the bowl with a swirl of heavy cream.

I tried once a roast pumpkin soup but the flavour is just way too strong for me. I stick to old school boiling😂 but I do love adding spices. Generally I go for Thai style flavour but I have done north African style one with preserved lemons though I did add Aussie lemon myrtle. The flavour combination turned out more than I could have hoped😋

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NSWP said:

OXTAIL SOUP, has anyone seen that in a can in recent years? ,Used to have it as a kid, home made and in a can.  I also had it a couple of times in 2012 on P&O UK - Arcadia, Sydney to Southampton.   Oxtail Soup is a British thing. Lubbly Jubbly.

download.jpg

I have made Oxtail stew many times. Love the stuff but I do it with a Chinese spice mix. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ilikeanswers said:

I have made Oxtail stew many times. Love the stuff but I do it with a Chinese spice mix. 

Yes, my mother used to make Oxtail Stew and Oxtail Soup, back in the 1950's and 1960's. You could buy oxtails from ye olde butcher, back then.