Bad start to a long awaited cruise

Rockit

I arrived in Venice yesterday August 23rd via Brussels. Used Air Canada Business Class to Brussels and connected via Brussels Air to Venice. As luck would have it there was a wildcat strike at Brussels Airport by the baggage handlers from August 22nd ending August 23rd. Filed lost baggage claims etc. No one knows when I will get our luggage, oh and I forgot to mention that Friday August 25th we board the Westerdam for a 14 day cruise without our luggage! So much for an enjoyable holiday!☹️

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually we went to Marghera. The airline says if worse comes to worse my luggage will be forwarded to one of the ports we stop at along the way. Translation, you will not see your bags until you arrive home if at all. I guess we will just have to make the best of it and chill.

Cheers,

Rockit

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For what it's worth, I'm currently on Blount's Grande Caribe in New England and one of our passengers, despite arriving a day early, arrived without luggage (weather rerouting). The bags showed up on day 3, so all is not yet lost. Wishing you a great cruise.

Roy

What a horrible feeling. I flew into "Venice" once for a cruise and my suitcase went to "Nice". We were reunited at the last port just in time for me to take it home. As I took all of the tags off of it, I realized my suitcase might have had a more interesting vacation!

I don't wish that feeling on anyone else -fingers crossed that you get your suitcase!!! (And if not- hopefully you can ultimately find a way to laugh at this.... but sure you aren't there yet!)

Welecome to the joys of flying! At least you arrived in Venice two days early. If you are fortunate, your luggage might catch up with you before you leave or at least a day late (I am figuring 3 days for luggage to catch up with you). We had that happen flying from Amsterdam to London earlier this year. We were without our luggage for three days. And I was sure we would never see it.

I can really sympathize with you as I wasn't savvy enough to pack things that were essential in my carry on. You did all the right thing by arriving early. And this happens!!!!

It might take the airport three to five days to route all the luggage. We saw this happen to people on our first Mediterranean cruise and they arrived the day of the cruise. There was a luggage handlers strike in Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. Our cruise was also out of Venice. The Rotterdam was picking up luggage at every port. Since that cruise, we try to arrive 3 to 4 days before the cruise as you never know. We thought it wouldn't happen to us as we are so careful in tagging our luggage and also having an itinerary inside. But it did happen on our stop in Frankfurt. All of Lufthansa was shut down. It took three days for them to deliver all the luggage.

Please let us know the outcome as we will be worried for you until it arrives!

A number of years ago we were on a 23 PanAmerican cruise that included Ecuador.

Our ship -- Ryndam -- left San Diego for this cruise -- on the same day as the Zaandam was heading to Hawaii. Quite a few people didn't pay attention to the signs pointing where to go to drop off the luggage for the Ryndam. As a result, luggage was placed on the Zaandam that should have been placed on the Ryndam. We were the ones with the tent and big bins outside. To make a long story short -- some people never got their luggage until day 20 -- it was always 1 port behind.

Bad situation.

So just isn't even airlines with strikes who can't get luggage to people -- ships can't either.

Another incident -- not cruise related. A few years ago, Philadelphia had a major snow storm and many cancelled flights. Luggage got separated from passengers. US Airways decided to send truck loads of luggage to Pittsburgh to put on planes here to be sent to the home towns of people. Well Pittsburgh hasn't been a hub in many, many years and had no room for extra luggage on the few flights we have out of here. So they sent the trucks back to Philadelphia. This happened over Thanksgiving. People didn't get their luggage for several weeks.

We usually pack a day or two's worth of clothing in our carry on just for things like this and especially when it's overseas travel. It would be a bit of relief if our luggage took a different route.

Our daughter once flew to Australia for 6 weeks of work in a rain forest. Her luggage was rerouted elsewhere and it took 2 weeks for her to get her rain gear, etc from the airline. I think we got a couple of free flights but it didn't make up for her misery.

Best of Luck Rockit!

Our rule is this: Each of us has one checked bag and one carry on. We lay out all four on the bed and then COMPLETELY mix our belongings. (1/4 of my socks in each bag, 1/4 of DW's...and on and on.) So if we loose one bag no big deal... If we loose BOTH bags, we can still cope. Yep, we've lost bags before, and yep, it's worked like a charm.

Several years ago there was a thread on the Celebrity board about traveling with carry on luggage only, regardless of the length of the cruise/trip. We decided to try only carry ons for a 3 week cruise/trip. It required a lot of planning on what to bring, especially since the cruise began in warm weather and crossed the Arctic Circle twice. We each took a roller suitcase and a shoulder bag. We learned the value of this decision early when our flight to Heathrow was delayed and we were able to board a different flight because we didn't have any checked luggage. Since we were able to carry our luggage on the ship, we were totally unpacked and relaxing within 20 minutes of entering our cabin. In the past two years we've taken 4 additional cruises and several domestic flying/driving trips, all with carry on luggage only. It's very liberating to not have to worry about our luggage when we travel - well worth the cost of a few bags of laundry on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

post 13 is some solid advice that will be taken by almost no cruisers...as it seems the attire for each day needs to be different and lots of dressing up etc. I so agree with post 13 in that carry on luggage is so "liberating" and years ago having a bad experience have never checked a bag since...and never will.

Nothing worse than not having your luggage but...

If I may try to find a silver lining here - you are there. You have arrived and are going on your cruise.

The ship can help with people with lost luggage with some clothes (at least they have in the past).

How long is the strike on for? Will the hotel help? They might have some pull?

If you have insurance, put it to use fast. It can really help. I know what DH would be like if even one piece is missing so I totally understand and pray it connects with you quickly but...

But whatever happens, don't let this ruin your dream trip. Pick up what you need if you have to and enjoy the trip.

Easier said than done - but do take in the moment of where you are and try to enjoy the now and not the "when" of when the luggage arrives.

Hoping it catches up with you before you sail though

We've had such moments on travel.... and I tell myself, "We're not in jail, not in the hospital!" Passport and a credit card, keep it simple, remember to breathe and stay well. LOVE Venice! May it all go well from this difficult beginning. m--

I experienced the same situation last June when I flew to Amsterdam for my cruise. It wasn't a problem with the connecting airport, but rather the originating airport. My luggage arrived that evening, but the airline did say they would forward it on to my first port if I didn't get it before I left. That was a quick one. I once toured Ireland without my luggage for 4 days until Air France found it.

Get what you need and save all your receipts. The airline should reimburse you for what you must have as your are not at your final destination - home.

So sorry about the lost luggage! Do not let it spoil your cruise. It is amazing how well you can do with just a little, as many in the world survive. It was a humbling experience for us when Northwest/Delta left our Med cruise luggage in Atlanta. We received it on day 4, but did have to purchase clothes, which insurance paid for. I am still wearing my French Riviera clothes.:) Delta gave us all kinds of vouchers and airline miles...DH commented that it was the first time we ever made money on a cruise!

Holland America was amazingly helpful, even though we didn't book their air flights. Guest Relations said it happens all the time in Europe. Best of luck to you!

Karen

A bit of advice. As soon as you board, let the front desk know about your lost luggage. They may be able to help reunite you with your bags. The same thing happened to us back in 2006 on an Amsterdam cruise of the Baltic due to a one day baggage handlers' strike. We made the mistake of telling the shore side staff and our room steward only. The latter arranged for us to receive free same day laundry so our one change of clothes purchased in Copenhagen was being washed while we wore the other. Those who had told the ship's front desk staff received their bags on day 3. We noticed this and asked for the same assistance and received our bags on day 6.

This happened to us 2 years ago...we arrived 2 days prior to cruise and our lost luggage arrived to the ship one day late...we purchased supplies in the port...when our luggage arrived it was damaged and had been obviously tampered with. The clothes were soaking wet as though dumped and several items were stolen from our bags..lesson learned. We only travel with carry on now.

Several years ago there was a thread on the Celebrity board about traveling with carry on luggage only, regardless of the length of the cruise/trip. We decided to try only carry ons for a 3 week cruise/trip. It required a lot of planning on what to bring, especially since the cruise began in warm weather and crossed the Arctic Circle twice. We each took a roller suitcase and a shoulder bag. We learned the value of this decision early when our flight to Heathrow was delayed and we were able to board a different flight because we didn't have any checked luggage. Since we were able to carry our luggage on the ship, we were totally unpacked and relaxing within 20 minutes of entering our cabin. In the past two years we've taken 4 additional cruises and several domestic flying/driving trips, all with carry on luggage only. It's very liberating to not have to worry about our luggage when we travel - well worth the cost of a few bags of laundry on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are a packing genius. I can do a 4 day land trip with a carry on, but not sure about a cruise where I have to dress for dinner. Going to reassess all of this for the next trip though.

To the OP, don't give up hope. You may be surprised to find your luggage joins you in one of the ports... unfortunately you don't know which one.

Enjoy your cruise regardless.... Luggage/clothing can be replaced. Memories can only be made :cool: