Where is Liberty and How are Things On board?

Maybe considering it part of the original cruise and they have already been to a foreign port. If they took on new passengers, or charged more, for final leg of the cruise I think it might be a different story.

Plus this is an emergency situation, I'm sure that factors in.

I hope all the people who were told to arrive in Galveston today for their cruise, gets their air, hotel, food costs refunded. These people are taking up hotel rooms that could have gone to emergency responders. Help is arriving from all over the country.

Our meteorologist called this situation from the Phila area last Thurs. including the 4 plus feet of rain. To the person who called him on crack.......what do you think now?:eek:

And to the person who said I got Fake News from FOX news..........:eek::eek:

To everyone affected, God bless you all.

Carnival also hoped to get their three ships in and out in a window today/tomorrow, which is why they are all in the area. Of course, they also allowed folk to cancel at an early stage, but it is clear from social media that they too have pax in the Houston/Galveston area who hoped to sail tomorrow.

At this point, RCI actually has a clearer plan for the next few days than Carnival.

Lol... carnival already took supplies etc in NO on Sat for valor and freedom, the breeze is headed to NO know to do same. As they have been doing last couple days they will continue to just hang out and when port opens they will proceed. No plan is really needed as they have already done things proper. Unlike RC that had there ship eight miles from port and there guests in disarray for the last two days. U r not going to win any points for RC with there decisions.

They screwed everybody that followed their advice and went to TX to board today.....then they cancelled on very short notice when their magic failed...RCI sucks!:mad:

All they do is nickel and dime you to death. It's crazy. Money grubbing companies that make a fortune.

Plus this is an emergency situation, I'm sure that factors in.

I hope all the people who were told to arrive in Galveston today for their cruise, gets their air, hotel, food costs refunded. These people are taking up hotel rooms that could have gone to emergency responders. Help is arriving from all over the country.

Our meteorologist called this situation from the Phila area last Thurs. including the 4 plus feet of rain. To the person who called him on crack.......what do you think now?:eek:

And to the person who said I got Fake News from FOX news..........:eek::eek:

To everyone affected, God bless you all.

Fox is the only real news. You got that correct.

Lots of meteorologists called it, unfortunately the same schism ripping the country apart and having people declare loyalty to one tv channel over another has been eating up all the news cycles, and the hurricane didn't get as much coverage as it might have otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Captain announced 3 medical emergencies and we are now waiting for the coast guard to pick them up. Still 8 miles out from Galveston port. Then on to Miami. Hopefully they let us debark at Miami as I have no interest in going back to Galveston to try to fly out. Prayers for the Texas people ❤️[/quote

Wow, you have been on lots of cruises. We will be tied in October. Are they comping you anything? Wifi to make travel changes? Have they run out of ddp?

What happened with these 3 medical emergencies??

Did they divert helos from picking folks off their roof of a flooded house ... to a cruise ship, with a Dr, and a 'clinic'

Personally I saw this as a cheap call by the ship .....

1) does ANY Galveston/Houston hospital NEED more business now?

2) Isn't a cruise ship with a Dr and a clinic better off than much of Houston Galveston right now????

RCCL should be offering to HOST folks needing care!

Corporate will always tell the captain what to do...airplane or ship...

Not true with airlines. Captain and FO are in charge of who does and doesn't fly and they have final say for their aircraft.

Some years ago when we were aboard Serenade in the Caribbean the ship was refueling every three weeks. At the time it was making a special port call in the evening at ST. Croix and then continuing on its way. I remember that only be cause we were on the third week cycle and stopped at St. Croix while it was still not a regular port of call for cruise ships.

Agree. Every Fall I do B2B2B2B, 7n, 12n, 10n, 11n, on Serenade and they get fuel every other week. Not that they need it that often, just keeping it topped off...

You have to understand that Houston was not expecting all the rain until later when they said the worst scenario would be if the hurricane stalled over in the area and it happened. 2.3 million people didn't evacuate either. Are you goin to blame RCI for that as well? They take info from harbor masters, information from airports and when it was apparent that they would be closed and no buses were available, they made contingency plans. You must be mad that you aren't on the next cruise, grow up.

They obviously didn't talk to the airlines because SWA cancelled flights 2 days ago and SWA did not bring their planes in HOU. That was 24 hours ago.

You have to understand that Houston was not expecting all the rain until later when they said the worst scenario would be if the hurricane stalled over in the area and it happened. 2.3 million people didn't evacuate either. Are you goin to blame RCI for that as well? They take info from harbor masters, information from airports and when it was apparent that they would be closed and no buses were available, they made contingency plans. You must be mad that you aren't on the next cruise, grow up.

If they would of been following the forecasts they would of been able to predict this. All fights into or out of Houston were cancelled yesterday, and things were only forecast to get worse. They should error on the side of caution. You just can't wing it when your potentially taking 4000 passengers into a disaster area.

Not true with airlines. Captain and FO are in charge of who does and doesn't fly and they have final say for their aircraft.

That's not true. When aircraft have to divert because of weather or anything other than an emergency, they check with flight operation first. Now if your talking about letting a passenger fly, that's a different story.

At least all of the passengers on Liberty are safe and well fed. Think of all the people in Texas who don't have a home, a job, vehicle or personal belongings anymore. Not to mention those that have died and the many firefighters, police, national guard and volunteers that are working non stop to help the citizens.

At least all of the passengers on Liberty are safe and well fed. Think of all the people in Texas who don't have a home, a job, vehicle or personal belongings anymore. Not to mention those that have died and the many firefighters, police, national guard and volunteers that are working non stop to help the citizens.

Post of the day.

(y) Betty ... So True!

As inconvenient it is for those on ships, many on land are in a much worse situation. :(

Do the passengers come back Friday with liberty

Or do they disembark in Miami?

As, we ALL know they can not fly into Houston

As, I read another thread, without a passport book you can't disembark from the ship except where you embarked?

As, we only have the card

As, I read another thread, without a passport book you can't disembark from the ship except where you embarked?

I heard earlier that you could choose to get off in Miami or sail back to Galveston.

That's not true. When aircraft have to divert because of weather or anything other than an emergency, they check with flight operation first. Now if your talking about letting a passenger fly, that's a different story.

Yes but, as you well know if the ATC in your handle stands for air traffic controller, the final authority rests with the captain and if he feels it's necessary to ensure the safety of his aircraft he can always use the magic words and declare an emergency to ensure he keeps his flight safe.

In theory the authority of a captain of a ship at sea is similar. But, the captain may not have the same labor protections as a domestic airline captain and thus may be less willing to exercise his authority.

ETA: this is also probably quite a bit off topic.

What happened with these 3 medical emergencies??

Did they divert helos from picking folks off their roof of a flooded house ... to a cruise ship, with a Dr, and a 'clinic'

Personally I saw this as a cheap call by the ship .....

2) Isn't a cruise ship with a Dr and a clinic better off than much of Houston Galveston right now????

Depends on what the medical emergency is. Ship's doctors are not prepared to do most operations. And although initial care can be taken for a heart attack, a real hospital is needed to provide the best treatment that can lead to survivial.

It has been reported that pax will be given the option to disembark in Miami or take the ship back to Galveston.

I'm sure many on the ship flew in from other places and may choose to fly home from Miami. Even those who drove in from other cities in the region may choose to fly home and retrieve their cars later.

Others will probably return on the ship, either because they have cars at the port or just because a few free days cruising is an attractive proposition to them.

Depends on what the medical emergency is. Ship's doctors are not prepared to do most operations. And although initial care can be taken for a heart attack, a real hospital is needed to provide the best treatment that can lead to survivial.

This may have no significance and I'm not one to start rumors, but when the Liberty was still outside Galveston not moving yet to Miami, I witnessed on the news that a CG helicopter was flying overhead. The cameras zoomed in and said it looked like it was "on a mission" going north. Soon after, I read here that the Liberty was now moving. Connect the dots??