BIG NEWS! We Are Proud to Announce....

BBMacLaird

While delighted to read the news I'm a little surprised. Captain Carl told us in April that the P&O ship would need lots of work to update her engineering systems as he believed they had not been maintained very well.

I agree with Bobal though, Azamara is mostly beyond our pocket now, we only did a repositioning this year as a special to celebrate our Ruby Wedding.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

While delighted to read the news I'm a little surprised. Captain Carl told us in April that the P&O ship would need lots of work to update her engineering systems as he believed they had not been maintained very well.

I agree with Bobal though, Azamara is mostly beyond our pocket now, we only did a repositioning this year as a special to celebrate our Ruby Wedding.

From what I understand Azamara looked at this ship a few years ago and mechanically it had not been maintained to the same standards as Quest and Journey. Ok, it was a bit of a mess! When It became Fathom operating out of the US and what with strict rules there they had to get the ship up to standard. So I think mechanically she is in much better shape now than she was.

Phil

I think it's R8 currently P & O Adonia.

Phil

This from P&O:

“We can now confirm that small ship Adonia will be leaving the fleet next year.

The sale will be completed in March 2018 and Adonia's last cruise as a P&O Cruises ship will be D804 leaving Barbados on February 23 and ending in Barbados on March 9, 2018.

Guests booked on any Adonia cruises after March 2018 will be contacted directly either by P&O Cruises or their travel agent in the next few days.

We know this has been the subject of much speculation but as we are sure you can appreciate we were unable to confirm anything until an agreement was in place.

During her time with us Adonia has captured the hearts of many thousands of P&O Cruises guests. She has ventured into new ports of call around the globe and has negotiated Icelandic Fjords, European rivers and Caribbean coves. We will be making sure that these discovery itineraries are continued on other ships in the fleet.

With almost six months until Adonia leaves the fleet, we will ensure that each of the cruises in her final season with us are extra special and celebratory.“

Just saw this on Azamara social media pages. Very happy to see the fleet expanding but a little sad too on a personal level as Azamara have priced themselves out of the market for us.

Their current pricing has tempered some of my enthusiasm too. I don't think I've ever seen so many general comments made about how ridiculous some of the pricing now is. Not just here, but elsewhere. I wait and see how it plays out.

Phil

From what I understand Azamara looked at this ship a few years ago and mechanically it had not been maintained to the same standards as Quest and Journey. Ok, it was a bit of a mess! When It became Fathom operating out of the US and what with strict rules there they had to get the ship up to standard. So I think mechanically she is in much better shape now than she was.

Phil

Thanks Phil, that makes sense. I'm glad Captain Carl had the right idea in the past.

Their current pricing has tempered some of my enthusiasm too. I don't think I've ever seen so many general comments made about how ridiculous some of the pricing now is. Not just here, but elsewhere. I wait and see how it plays out.

Phil

Really a shame they have priced themselves out of being competitive and subjected many loyal customers to significant communications and reasonableness issues while negotiating a 50% increase in fleet size. Will they increase the home office staffing to cover the current shortages while increasing the fleet size. Only time will tell. Quite possibly all these recent issues will dim the euphoria of a new ship and in the end affect the bottom line significantly.

Phil

If the handover is in March ( see post # 30 ) but sailings don’t start until August 2018, that is a very long time in dry dock.

Fantastic news! I look forward to seeing what itineraries she will be doing. As someone who hates long flights, I do hope for lovely Mediterranean voyages in the summer. Thank you for rising early Bonnie to share the great news. I hope you managed another few hours sleep. :)

We sailed on Adonia to the Norwegian Fjords in 2012. It was an excellent trip - sadly a subsequent trip with P&O was pretty bad and we tried Azamara. We haven't looked back and will be setting sail on our 4th Azamara cruise in October 😀😀😀.

We are delighted that Adonia will be joining the fleet and look forward to sailing on her again.

Fair winds and safe landfall Azamara Pursuit!

Great News, actually we have today just booked a cruise on Quest for April 2018.

It will be our 13th with Azamara, hope that is not a bad omen.

We will have to make it 14 in the future on Pursuit

I should also have said that very much depends on future prices and itineraries.

At the moment I do not like 2019 prices or itineraries for Journey and Quest

Edited by Bloodaxe
Change

Nice to have a wider choice of destinations to choose from. I suspect that if Az want the new ship to be the same as the existing two then a lot of work will be required as the Adonia has no 'Club Continent' suites on deck eight it only had standard veranda cabins.

Fantastic news! I look forward to seeing what itineraries she will be doing. As someone who hates long flights, I do hope for lovely Mediterranean voyages in the summer. Thank you for rising early Bonnie to share the great news. I hope you managed another few hours sleep. :)

Thank you lizboyle. It's now 8:30am in California and I'm back on the job. I'll be very surprised if there aren't more Mediterranean cruises in our future.

Ryszard responded to my question about expanding the fleet that both he and Larry were very interested. By the smile on his face and the twinkle in his eye when he said that I suspected it would be happening but I had no idea it would be this soon.

Congrats to AZamara for a great decision to grow.

This from Seatrade:

Azamara Club Cruises has entered into an agreement to purchase a sister ship to Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest, with delivery set for March 2018. Currently sailing as Adonia for P&O Cruises, it will be renamed Azamara Pursuit.

'We are pleased to expand our portfolio by 50%, allowing us to visit even more regions of the world through the acquisition of this sister ship,' said Larry Pimentel, president and CEO. 'Our loyal guests and travel partners have asked for this expansion for a long time; we are very pleased to deliver this to them.'

Like Azamara Quest and Azamara Journey, Adonia was built as an 'R' ship for Renaissance Cruises. It previously sailed for Carnival Corp. & plc's Fathom before returning to the P&O fleet in the spring.

Together, the three ships will support Azamara's commitment to destination immersion and longer stays in port.

Adonia's décor will be updated to match the Azamara upmarket brand positioning. These updates will be similar to the renovations recently introduced on Azamara Journey and Azamara Quest, bringing passengers the experience of a boutique hotel at sea.

Deployment and itineraries will be available in October.

This is such fantastic news that I had to take time from my Italian holiday in Lake Garda to express my joy! Let's hope that we will get some interesting new Med itineraries on Azamara Pursuit. Maybe a cruise and stay from Lake Garda or Lake Como and a Croatian and Greek Islands cruise departing from Venice? My idea of Heaven. 😄

I have been on Adonia and it will take some investment to get the ship up to Azamara

standards. Let's hope they put Mosaic where it should be, as that area is sadly lacking on Adonia.

I echo Hazel's thoughts and hope that Ryzhard and Tony get their own ship. They surely both deserve it.