No more Transderm Scop patch....

ChuckinSC

My wife and I are getting ready for upcoming cruises including next spring’s Summit to Bermuda. She uses the patch, just got her prescription and have discovered the drugstores report they no longer have, and wont be getting, the drug. I called Sandoz directly this afternoon and was told they stopped manufacturing the product last month! This is a serious problem. She relies on scopolamine for her seasickness. This could literally become a cruise deal breaker! Not good.

Edited by ChuckinSC

My wife and I are getting ready for upcoming cruises including next spring’s Summit to Bermuda. She uses the patch, just got her prescription and have discovered the drugstores report they no longer have, and wont be getting, the drug. I called Sandoz directly this afternoon and was told they stopped manufacturing the product last month! This is a serious problem. She relies on scopolamine for her seasickness. This could literally become a cruise deal breaker! Not good.

Check with other pharmacies. Try goodrx.com and search for pharmacies in your area. I did, and I can get this from 10 pharmacies right now within a 10 mile radius of my home

- Joel

On our first 7 day cruise both my wife and I used the patch. About 2 days in I was swimming and the patch fell off. I felt fine and figured I didn't need it. I got so sick that night and put another patch. The next day I was fine. So I figured I had to have the patch or else I would get seasick. Fast forward 20 years of using patches, we decided to try a 3 day cruise without the patch. I had talked to my dr about why my vision always seemed fuzzy on the patch. He indicated it was because I touched the patch and then my eyelids. Scopolamine causes your eyes to dilate if any of it gets into your eyes. Anyway, after that, we decided to try this 3 day cruise without the patch. If we made it thru that then maybe we didn't need the patch after all. We brought sea bands and Dramamine, just in case. I had absolutely no issue. Since then I've never had to use the patch and cruises are so much more enjoyable. We still bring the sea bands and had to use them once last year on the Summit passing thru the remnants of Hurricane Matthew. What's the point of this story? There are other methods besides the patch. In my case I didn't really need them, but you can also try sea bands, ginger, and probably a half dozen other suggestions you'll get from this thread.

If you live near a compounding pharmacy, they can compound scopolomine in a cream form. We've been doing this for years, and like it so much better than the patch. You just put some on when you are at sea. We just had some compounded for our cruise last month.

I've gotten the patch from S. Korea (I have friends that live there and visit there). The drug is over the counter there, It is called Kimite. If we can't get it here, we will get it from Asia. I actually found the patches in an Asian supermarket once (here in NC) but they no longer carry them. You might try that avenue if you can't find any here in the US. Oh yes, and they are dirt cheap (Kimite). A friend sent me a bunch of them a couple of years ago, still using them!

Check with other pharmacies. Try goodrx.com and search for pharmacies in your area. I did, and I can get this from 10 pharmacies right now within a 10 mile radius of my home

- Joel

Thanks Joel. That’s what we ended up doing. A local non chain pharmacy still has them. Wife is going there with her prescription in the morning. Thanks, too, for all the other responses.

The patch has quite a few side effect so my husband and I only used them once. It may both of us feel fuzzy with very dry mouths. Bonnie or it’s generic equivalent is a good 24hour solution and does not make you drowsy, give you a dry mouth or impact your head although I am sure is must have some side effects. On this transatlantic I have yet to see a patch but will look around today.

Bonnie or it’s generic equivalent is a good 24hour solution and does not make you drowsy, give you a dry mouth or impact your head although I am sure is must have some side effects.

Bonnie was my first wife's name and let me tell you she came with a whole host of unpleasant side effects!!

Bonine's generic equivalent is meclizine, and you can go to the medical facility (usually on Deck 1 or 2) of your ship and help yourself from the big bowl of individually wrapped 25mg tablets that will be in the waiting room. No charge. If it's not there it'll be available at guest services, also no charge. No worries.

Bon voyage

Or you can buy meclizine at your local drugstore for not much money at all (less than $10). I start taking some the day before my cruise so it's in my system before I set foot on the ship. I would not trust hoo-doo junk science like sea bands to keep me from getting sick. By the time you figure out they don't work, it's too late!

Bonnie was my first wife's name and let me tell you she came with a whole host of unpleasant side effects!!

Laughing out loud here! You might have a possible career in stand up comedy.

For the original poster, as needed I use Seabands and ginger gum and they work well. The side effects of the patch were just too much for me.

• 7 months later...

Originally posted by Cruise_Monkey Bonnie was my first wife's name and let me tell you she came with a whole host of unpleasant side effects!!

Love it - hope your first name is not Clyde cus the two of them together were disastrous - maybe I'm showing my age !!

There are generic AB equivalent product for example Perrigo launched a 1.5 mg patch last year. In addition there is a Baxter product

Scopolamine Transdermal System

Last Updated: May 8, 2018

Reason for the Shortage

• Baxter has Transderm Scop in 10 count and 24 count available.
    • Sandoz has Transderm Scop on shortage due to increased demand. Sandoz changed their NDC number in late 2016.

Available Products

• Transderm Scop transdermal system, Baxter, 1.5 mg, 10 count, NDC 10019-0553-03
    • Transderm Scop transdermal system, Baxter, 1.5 mg, 24 count, NDC 10019-0553-04
    • Transderm Scop transdermal system, Sandoz, 1.5 mg, 4 count, NDC 66758-0208-54

I have also use a product, I got from Reliefband.com. It looks like a watch. It's worn on your wrist and it sends out pulses that go to the part of the brain that handles the nausea feeling. The only bad thing is that it cant get wet.

It used to be a product that Dr's prescribed for cancer patients having chemo. It is now sold to everyone.