Jeans. In Specialy Restaurants

mamaofami

Is it against HAL's policy to wear jeans in specialty restaurants?

From HAL's website:

Q: Are jeans allowed?

A: Jeans without holes, tears or embroidery are welcome on most evenings in all restaurants, but on Gala Nights jeans are only allowed in the casual dining restaurants.

So, to answer your question; yes, jeans are allowed in specialty restaurants, except on Gala nights, then no.

question; yes, jeans are allowed in specialty restaurants, except on Gala nights, then no.

Thank you. On HAL specialty dining follows MDR dress code and is not always some variation of smart casual? To participate in a specialty restaurant on Gala night one must be dressed up as well? What differentiates between a casual restaurant?

Thank you. On HAL specialty dining follows MDR dress code and is not always some variation of smart casual? To participate in a specialty restaurant on Gala night one must be dressed up as well? What differentiates between a casual restaurant?

I wore wrangler cargo pants and a polo on our last cruise in the PG on both formal nights.

Any restaurant with a waiter/waitress that takes your order and brings your food to you while you remain seated is not a casual restaurant.

If you go through a buffet line, order at a counter - casual restaurant. Lido, dive inn, explorations cafe, pizza place etc

There may be an exception somewhere, but I am not aware of a casual restaurant where you order from a menu while sitting down...

Am I offended? Not really. But his tie's too short and everything else is too small. I'm also wondering about the one sleeve sticking out and rolled up--am I missing a trend? :confused:

Yes, you are missing the trend. Skinny pants and close fitting jacket s have been the style for quite awhile. So long in fact that it might now be a dated look. Not sure, but I still see a lot of it.

Ok except on gala night. No jeans.

What elements define a pair of jeans? The color (blue)? The fabric (twill, cotton)? The seams? The position of pockets?

Some trousers are easy to spot as jeans, IMO. Others, not so much.

Do you guys have a sure fail definition?

No jeans in MDR or specialty restaurants on Gala nights, all other nights they are okay. Casual dining venues on HAL would include Lido Market, poolside eateries, Dive-In, New York Pizza, etc.; where jeans are allowed any time.

I wore wrangler cargo pants and a polo on our last cruise in the PG on both formal nights.

Since cargo pants are not slacks, that would not be in compliance with HAL's established guidelines for Gala Night attire.

You got away with it though, which does not surprise, as we all know they don't enforce their own guidelines.

What elements define a pair of jeans? The color (blue)? The fabric (twill, cotton)? The seams? The position of pockets?

Here is all you want to know about jeans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeans

The only person whose opinion matters is the Pinnacle Grill Manager. Some will get in, others turned away.... I am sure it varies ship to ship, night to night...

If someone is really concerned about what constitutes "Jeans" carry them down to the Pinnacle grill during the day, show them to the manager and get a ruling....

Yes, you are missing the trend. Skinny pants and close fitting jacket s have been the style for quite awhile. So long in fact that it might now be a dated look. Not sure, but I still see a lot of it.

The trend I was referring to (which is why that question was at the end of the sentence that included the reference to it) was having one shirt sleeve longer than the jacket sleeve and rolled up, while the other sleeve remains tucked inside the too-short jacket sleeve.

And trends aren't always attractive, even if popular. I doubt the guy in the too-small jacket can move his arms. ;)

Probably not 'sure fail', but from Wikipedia:

"Jeans are a type of trousers, typically made from denim or dungaree cloth. Often the term "jeans" refers to a particular style of trousers, called "blue jeans," which were invented by Jacob W. Davis in partnership with Levi Strauss & Co. in 1871 and patented by Jacob W. Davis and Levi Strauss on May 20, 1873."

Good point. These 2 men are wearing jeans. I see nothing wrong with these outfits.

enhance

enhance

No jeans in MDR or specialty restaurants on Gala nights, all other nights they are okay. Casual dining venues on HAL would include Lido Market, poolside eateries, Dive-In, New York Pizza, etc.; where jeans are allowed any time.

Canaletto, a "specialty" restaurant located in the Lido area is smart casual every night I believe. At least, it has been on the cruises we have been on.

Canaletto, a "specialty" restaurant located in the Lido area is smart casual every night I believe. At least, it has been on the cruises we have been on.

Right, Canaletto is considered a specialty restaurant. So in the context of this discussion, jeans would not be appropriate in Canaletto on a Gala Night according to HAL's guidelines.

Good point. These 2 men are wearing jeans. I see nothing wrong with these outfits.

enhance

enhance

You are correct. There is nothing "wrong" with any outfit....there is nothing wrong with shorts, or swim wear either.

8ffb5a69b694272ca90d1233db538e1d.jpg

The only person whose opinion matters is the Pinnacle Grill manager.

Right, Canaletto is considered a specialty restaurant. So in the context of this discussion, jeans would not be appropriate in Canaletto on a Gala Night according to HAL's guidelines.

And it's located in the Lido where jeans are appropriate.

Don't get me wrong - we dress up for gala night but from what I have seen on my few hundred days on HAL, Canaletto has always been far more casual than the Pinnacle whether it's a Gala night or not.

It's nice that you don't see anything wrong with them. Point is that HAL doesn't allow them on Gala Nights.

I highly doubt those men would be turned away, even on gala night. At some point common sense has to prevail and I'd like to think HAL has better common sense than some of the people on this thread.