Jeans. In Specialy Restaurants

mamaofami

Bottom line...some folks need to get with the program and realize that life has moved on. Styles and mores have changed.

If you want formal...stick to Cunard. Otherwise go with the flow and quit your griping, complaining, and constant yearning for yesteryear. You cannot buy a 25 cent loaf of bread or quart of milk either.

This from an oldie. There is too much in the future to be stuck in the past. Take advantage of it and have some fun. Look at all the reasons to do something instead of the reasons not to do something.

The comment about not respecting one's spouse is a variation of a popular comment that takes several forms.

One form is "If you wear blue jeans, you are not being respectful of other passengers."

Another is "If you wear blue jeans, you are not being respectful of the Captain."

It is nothing more than an attempt to shame those who do not choose to dress up.

Sorry, but RocketMan is right on this one. Claims of 'disrespect' to fellow passengers and/or the Captain have been made too many times to count on these boards over the years. They are common refrains made during discussions about this and related (hot) topics.

I don't read Rocketman's post the way you do.

He never claimed disrespect to anyone.

and there was certainly no disrespect insinuated in the his post to the Captain or anyone else.

He is simply making a statement. Simple, easy to digest - unless of course, you want to distort it.

I don't understand the confusion about my post. I was pointing out that one side of the discussion of appropriate dress commonly accuses the other side of disrespect. I gave two examples that, as others have confirmed, have been made multiple times.

I don't think I've ever accused anyone of disrespect. I have pointed out that if one side demands respect of the other, then they should also be willing to extend respect to that side as well.

I find it peculiar to say that if you do not do as I want, then you're being disrespectful. Isn't that position disrespectful as well?

Bottom line...some folks need to get with the program and realize that life has moved on. Styles and mores have changed.

If you want formal...stick to Cunard. Otherwise go with the flow and quit your griping, complaining, and constant yearning for yesteryear. You cannot buy a 25 cent loaf of bread or quart of milk either.

This from an oldie. There is too much in the future to be stuck in the past. Take advantage of it and have some fun. Look at all the reasons to do something instead of the reasons not to do something.

Even though I'm probably one of those yearners for yesteryear, I think your post would serve well as the final words on the topic.

(I do hope, however, the maitre d' on my cruises draw the line with "Sagging", no matter how much styles change.)

They are not allowed on Gala Night except in the casual restaurants. I don't know what the Tamarind is considered.

Was looking at my account and read the dress code. Homosassa is correct.

No jeans on Gala Night in FINE dining establishments.

Now we can argue if the Pinnacle or Tamarind is considered "fine" dining, since they call it a Specialty restaurant.

I think Hal twists the words so they can not be the bad guy.:eek:

No Gala night on OPS cruise.

Carol, in terms of level of dress, Tamarind is pretty much equivalent to Pinnacle. If someone tends to kick it up a notch over the dining room for Pinnacle, then they would be likely to do the same when going to Tamarind.

Carol, in terms of level of dress, Tamarind is pretty much equivalent to Pinnacle. If someone tends to kick it up a notch over the dining room for Pinnacle, then they would be likely to do the same when going to Tamarind.
Watching him get dressed now. Nice slacks,shirt,and jacket.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I wore jeans in the Pinnacle, and they got a lot of our business.

If they complained, we may not have gone back. Or, we wouldn't have eaten there nearly as much.

Not to be mean, but because we wanted to be more casual, would have found somewhere else to eat.

We ate at lunch.

Lately, Royal Caribbean had forced us to get our BOGO on day one or two (formal night). And we would have dressed formally then.

We like the way HAL does the Mariner discounts MUCH better.

On our last cruise one night we were dressed resort casual and we were asked if we would share a table, sure thing. The family sat with us were all in jeans and t shirts, nothing stylish or fancy by any means. Turned out to be an Indonesian/Australian teacher and software engineer treating their son to a trip having finished a double major but before starting his masters studies. They were as friendly as could be and we had a terrific conversation. A life experience I’d have missed out on if I looked down my nose at their “fashion”

On our last cruise one night we were dressed resort casual and we were asked if we would share a table, sure thing. The family sat with us were all in jeans and t shirts, nothing stylish or fancy by any means. Turned out to be an Indonesian/Australian teacher and software engineer treating their son to a trip having finished a double major but before starting his masters studies. They were as friendly as could be and we had a terrific conversation. A life experience I’d have missed out on if I looked down my nose at their “fashion”

I assume it was a non-Gala night, on HAL, and the jeans were not distressed, so they were fine in terms of being seated in the MDR. It's good to find something interesting in the background and conversation of your table mates, as you did.

It is probably quite rare that someone who disagrees with a looser dress code looks down on individuals who choose the less formal options.

I assume it was a non-Gala night, on HAL, and the jeans were not distressed, so they were fine in terms of being seated in the MDR. It's good to find something interesting in the background and conversation of your table mates, as you did.

It is probably quite rare that someone who disagrees with a looser dress code looks down on individuals who choose the less formal options.

The point is if I had passed judgment on them based on clothing I’d have lost out on an enlightening and enjoyable conversation. It seems like others would do just that though.

Just about everything in life is about 'context'. For example; If Jessica Simpson walked into PG in a bikini top and bib overalls, most men and a lot of women would stand and clap their approval. (most, not all)

On the other hand, if it were Jethro from Beverly Hillbillys, then it would go over like a lead balloon.

Its always about context.

Edited by JRG
typo

What are "blue jeans"?

You might want to Google that.

Denim is an American version of "De Nimes", a very cheap and durable fabric that was originally from the French City of Nimes.

It became popular during the California Gold rush, when would-be miners who had very little money had to buy the cheapest - but durable- clothing to wear in their prospecting work.

Why would anyone want to wear poor peoples' clothing on a (hopefully) luxurious cruise?

Are you trying to advertise that you are broke?

Is your husband a penniless college student?

Is there a better way to say "No class"? I cannot think of any.

My bold - WOW :eek:

While that may be the history of jeans, they are no longer the cheapest thing to buy. Nor have they been cheap for some time. In fact some jeans are VERY expensive, different colours, different styles and nice material.

Jeans do NOT say you are broke. You may wish to update yourself ;);p