Deposits for a cruise have gone up!!!

Hflors

Since I usually have Fcd's I haven't made a deposit (other than the FCD) for years. Well since Hal wouldn't allow me to buy one for dh while I was on my last cruise because dh wasn't onboard (it was a 4 sisters cruise) so now that we are thinking of a cruise or had been - I was supposed to buy one while onboard with FCD's we will now need to put down a deposit.

I don't know when you cruised last or if HAL changed the rules but I was allowed to buy a FCD for a friend when I was on the Konigsdam last March -- so that I could book a cruise (during that appointment/transaction) for the two of us later that year. Also, when she and I did cruise, we each bought a FCD for our husbands (who were not on the cruise) and then booked a New Year's Eve cruise for the four of us this year.

Now, the difference may be that I booked a cruise on the spot with the FCD that I had just purchased (in both cases), but the fact of the matter is that I did buy a FCD for someone who wasn't there ... in both cases.

Edited by ithaca gal
clarification

I am still coming to terms with the reality that most purchases especially travel are going to be significantly more expensive than a few years ago. Just happy I was able to benefit in the past. If higher deposits slow the increase in the cruise prices I am ok with that.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

I was told in October on the K'dam that I couldn't purchase a FCD for my husband, who wasn't with me. OP, I also cancelled a cruise which required a $1200 deposit in December. We may still go on it but I was in sticker shock at the time (having just made final payment on another sailing) so I chose not to book.

KK, again it amazes me that sometimes you have such less than great luck with HAL. After I lost my DH, future cruise creditts in his name never entered my mind, Of all I had to deal with, that was not on my list. yet one day a c heck arived in the mail. I never mentioned the credits in his name and yet they sent me a check for the full value. It took me a while to figure out what it was for.

These were deposits way back in the early 2000's when if you didn't book a cruise by the time they were to expire, you lost them. We booked a couple of cruises right away -- DH's mother died unexpectedly -- lost the FCC deposits -- insurance wouldn't cover that -- everything else -- no problem.

When our house was badly damaged in 2010 -- major snow storm -- again lost the FCC deposits,

Decided to never buy them again.

This is a shame that HAL is once again changing the rules and now not allowing people to buy FCC's for their spouses.

SAD!! and BAD!!

Doesn't HAL realize that even though people are buying FCC's for their spouses, the cruise fare will still be the same and eventually HAL will get the entire fare????

This is a shame that HAL is once again changing the rules and now not allowing people to buy FCC's for their spouses.

SAD!! and BAD!!

Doesn't HAL realize that even though people are buying FCC's for their spouses, the cruise fare will still be the same and eventually HAL will get the entire fare????

I have to agree with you. It's not as if I was purchasing it for Joe-down-the-street. It's a pretty safe bet that I would like my husband to come with me when I book!

I don't know when you cruised last or if HAL changed the rules but I was allowed to buy a FCD for a friend when I was on the Konigsdam last March -- so that I could book a cruise (during that appointment/transaction) for the two of us later that year. Also, when she and I did cruise, we each bought a FCD for our husbands (who were not on the cruise) and then booked a New Year's Eve cruise for the four of us this year.

Now, the difference may be that I booked a cruise on the spot with the FCD that I had just purchased (in both cases), but the fact of the matter is that I did buy a FCD for someone who wasn't there ... in both cases.

HAL changed the rule sometime last year. This was confirmed to me last week from someone who spoke directly to the office in charge of the program.

SAD!! and BAD!!

I'm sure at some point people were taking advantage of the program and buying credits for every person on their Christmas list. Because the credits come with the added bonus of onboard credit, it's not a total break even situation for HAL. Just my guess.

While on the Maasdam a few months ago we tried to buy FCC for another couple who we regularly travel with and were told no. We were allowed to book and pay for a future cruise at the discounted deposit for them. Basically, it seems like it’s ok if you actually book a cruise but you can’t just leave the FCC to book later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

One can easily invest money in stocks or bonds for a year or two and makes thousands.

Make thousands on few thousand dollar deposit, unlikely of course in stocks or bonds one could lose money as well.

I don’t see the big deal, a larger deposit means less money to pay later.

These were deposits way back in the early 2000's when if you didn't book a cruise by the time they were to expire, you lost them. We booked a couple of cruises right away -- DH's mother died unexpectedly -- lost the FCC deposits -- insurance wouldn't cover that -- everything else -- no problem.

When our house was badly damaged in 2010 -- major snow storm -- again lost the FCC deposits,

Decided to never buy them again.

I remember those non-refundable FCDs. I always worried that we would not get them used in time.

The current ones are refundable if not used in 4 years, and we just got refunded for two that we had not used. I encourage you to consider these refundable ones, they really do get refunded (y)

Interesting things are happening regarding deposits, and its across the industry. Here is the problem, as explained to me by a cruise line rep. There are too many folks who will make multiple cruise reservations (sometimes for the same time period) in order to hold a desired cabin. At a much later date (but prior to final payment) these folks simply cancel some or all of their bookings (and get their small deposits refunded). So now, there are some new strategies to discourage this phony bookings. HAL has been experimenting with non-refundable deposits which, in theory, will get you a lower price. They have also sometimes charged very high deposits (especially for the most popular voyages such as Grand Cruises, VOV, etc. Another technique is to require final payments at an earlier date.

Personally we do not have a major problem with higher deposits since we generally do take the cruises we book. And if this discourages others from booking early, well that just leaves a better cabin inventory for those of us willing to back up their reservations with money :). We have also seen some of these same techniques with hotels/resorts. In many cases you can get a lower price on a hotel room if you pay in advance or submit a non-refundable (or partially refundable) deposit.

Hank

I understand that from their point of view, but we recently backed away from a 14 day cruise with a high (IIRC, around $1000) non-refundable deposit. The cruise was 11 months from when we were looking at booking it, and the non-refundable deposit didn't get us a better rate. Too much can happen in 11 months for me to feel comfortable with losing that kind of money. But maybe that doesn't bother most people?

I understand that from their point of view, but we recently backed away from a 14 day cruise with a high (IIRC, around $1000) non-refundable deposit. The cruise was 11 months from when we were looking at booking it, and the non-refundable deposit didn't get us a better rate. Too much can happen in 11 months for me to feel comfortable with losing that kind of money. But maybe that doesn't bother most people?
And the non-refundable deposit was the only option? I had no idea that was a thing. I assumed the non-refundable option was limited to cruises within the final payment date, or close thereto.

As long as they are refundable, I don’t have an issue with the cruise lines moving to larger deposits, if this prevents people from holding rooms for months, then canceling before final payment. I see this as a way for the cruise line to know who is really serious and will actually take the cruise, not a way to earn a lot of extra money in interest.

We certainly would not be jumping at non-refundable deposits unless there was some savings. But we were not aware that HAL even has cruises where non-refundables are the norm. Until now you could generally book with a refundable deposit...but at a higher cost. In our case we used a major credit card which gives us up to $10,000 in cancellation coverage (at no extra cost). This is only when cancellation is due to a real issue (such as health) which is fine for us.

Hank

Just how large a deposit are you talking about - which can "easily" be invested and make "thousands"? Certainly not in bonds - for a 4% bond (very high rate) to make "thousands" ($2,000) in a year, you are talking about at least a $50,000 investment --- big down payment on a cruise. And any stock investment which can earn you thousands in a year can also lose you thousands - especially in today's market.

As usual, your analysis is spot on, nbt! (y)(y)(y)

We certainly would not be jumping at non-refundable deposits unless there was some savings. But we were not aware that HAL even has cruises where non-refundables are the norm. Until now you could generally book with a refundable deposit...but at a higher cost. In our case we used a major credit card which gives us up to $10,000 in cancellation coverage (at no extra cost). This is only when cancellation is due to a real issue (such as health) which is fine for us.

Hank

And the non-refundable deposit was the only option? I had no idea that was a thing. I assumed the non-refundable option was limited to cruises within the final payment date, or close thereto.

Non-refundable deposits are not the norm.

They are there as an option. You can book with a promo (if there is one), without the promo or with a non refundable deposit. There can be some significant savings with the non refundable deposits - but not always.

I think what led to the belief that fares are now non refundable was that HAL had "snap" fares on their website for about a month. These were non refundable deposits and to get the price with refundable deposit you had to call HAL (a PITA IMO).

The "snap" fare promo was taken off very quickly and replaced with regular pricing and then a promo. You can always call to get the various prices.

To the best of my knowledge non refundable deposits are not in place as mandatory yet, but, who knows what's coming?

We just booked a 28 day cruise for Fall 2018. Cruise price right now for two total is $8,400 and we had to pay a deposit of $4,200, is refundable to July 2nd, 2018 but I was thinking the deposit amounts have gone higher as well.

50% deposit:eek::eek:!!! I got one FCD left to use:)

As long as they are refundable, I don’t have an issue with the cruise lines moving to larger deposits, if this prevents people from holding rooms for months, then canceling before final payment. I see this as a way for the cruise line to know who is really serious and will actually take the cruise, not a way to earn a lot of extra money in interest.

That may be their purpose, but the collateral damage is someone like me w a family always wading on the sidelines wanting to try HAL. A larger deposit isn't buying me additional value vs other cruise lines. So I can wait longer and during that time other lines are likely to offer promotions that may hook me.

I think in the past 5 years I've had to cancel one cruise out of a 14 or 15, and change another. I don't hold high end rooms or make multiple bookings.

So each time I look to take my family on HAL, there is another change to policy that makes me leery of locking up money.

I am still coming to terms with the reality that most purchases especially travel are going to be significantly more expensive than a few years ago. Just happy I was able to benefit in the past. If higher deposits slow the increase in the cruise prices I am ok with that.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Forums mobile app

Not all cruises are more expensive! We did the 14 day Alaska round trip cruise out of Seattle in June of 2014 and we are doing it again this June. Exact same itinerary is a LOT cheaper this year! We even have a little higher category vista suite than last time. Last time it was on the Amsterdam and this time we are on the Zaandam which are sister ships so I can't see that having anything to do with the price difference.

Last time it was $5399 per person with an OBC of $150 each and this time when we booked it was originally $4269 and I got in on two price reductions and now it's only $3,579 per person with an OBC of $200 each, paid gratuity and a $25.00 beverage card. That is a savings of $2105 per person for this cruise over the SAME cruise of 2014!

HAL didn't have this cruise in 2013 and in 2014 they only did 4 of these 14 day cruises and this year they are doing 10 so the frequency might be the reason for the lower price....they need to sell more cabins.

As for deposits, ours have been all over the board for our 5 cruises. On our first cruise in 2010 we booked after final payment so there was no deposit. The second cruise in 2013 the deposit was about 30%, the third cruise in 2014 it was just $600 so there must have been a deal, the 4th cruise in 2016 it was about 25%. The original booking of our current cruise the deposit was only $600 because there was a deposit deal going on at the time. When we got the reduced cabin prices and deals the deposit deal was no longer available so we had to pay another $600. Hey....it was worth the $4,210.00 savings.

I have no problem with the higher deposits because it means the final payment will be less. So far all our deposits have all been refundable.

Utahtea

Just curious where you think HAL is making lots of money, with interest rates so low universally. If you know, please tell me. If the money was sitting in my savings it would accumulate mere pennies in a year....

I can't even get interest in savings, only my 'money market' account.

Back to the topic, I carry FCDs but only for 21 days or less, I'm looking to get one to cover the middle area - because that normal deposit is much larger - on my next cruise in April.

I can't even get interest in savings, only my 'money market' account.

Back to the topic, I carry FCDs but only for 21 days or less, I'm looking to get one to cover the middle area - because that normal deposit is much larger - on my next cruise in April.

When I booked a 24 day TA/Med cruise for this March, our HAL PCC used our two $100 FCDs and had us pay an additional $400 to essentially "upgrade" them to the $300 FCDs. We got the additional OBC as well.

You might be able to do the same.