why no water on NCL beverage package?

travelingla

On other lines we've had the beverage package and it included bottled water and sparkling water. I am curious what the thinking MIGHT be as to why water is not included on the NCL beverage package? :o

FDR. And I do not mean a dead president.

People hypothesize about environmental reasons. I assume it’s about money. Same reason you can only get some wine by the bottle, and that can’t get room service drinks or mini bar drinks included. They know some people will pay for bottled water anyway. You can’t get specialty coffees included either.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On other lines we've had the beverage package and it included bottled water and sparkling water. I am curious what the thinking MIGHT be as to why water is not included on the NCL beverage package? :o

Because adding bottled water would be a money loser.

Adding bottled water, energy drinks, and specialty coffee to the beverage package won't sell any more packages. And more importantly, won't scare anyone away from buying the package. So save money and exclude those items.

It is more than just the cost of the water. Every pound of weight cost fuel to move around the ocean (same reason airlines pulled ovens out of planes and only serve cold sandwiches (for $$$) in coach).

Edited by BirdTravels

Yes, this is disappointing to us. We did just book a NCL cruise to try it out, but we are so used to Celebrity , which includes bottled water and specialty coffees, etc. that I'm a bit afraid I'll be disappointed. While some may prefer Tap water, I do not. I do not drink it at home, so why should I on vacation? Just a preference. I do see that NCL offers some sort of bottled water package so will check into that and maybe use our on board credit......I do think that NCL is just a money grab on this issue, but that's me.

It has to be a financial reason, but I don't understand it. I was on HAL in December, and I had their Quench package that includes everything but booze. HAL finds a way to make money with it.

How much was the Quench package? NCL's 12-pack of 1 liter Aquafina water is $27.95 plus 20% gratuity or $33.54

That's the more reasonable price they lowered the packages to; we see the same bottles for $1.99 per bottle in our markets here and $7 to $12 in hotels.

This has always been my thinking on the reason.

The beverage package provides drinks for immediate consumption. You can get glasses of wine but not bottles, soda is from fountains not cans, beer bottles are opened when given to you (although you can usually get the bar staff to give them unopened, I believe that their instruction is to open them).

This is fairly in line with unlimited drinks packages elsewhere, in my experience (I'm not talking specifically about other cruise lines). For example, a soda package at a theme park near here provides for drinks from a fountain, but not in cans or bottles.

A sensible reason for this is to make it harder for people getting drinks on their package and then passing them over to others. For example, if you could get bottles of water on the UBP then there is nothing to stop you from picking lots up and handing them to friends without the package.

Of course, it's all financial in the end, and when it comes down to it they don't give out bottled water because it means they can sell it to some people, but avoiding people sharing with others is a justification for the rules.

Whatever people think about the various types of water, it isn't as if they don't provide it for free anyway. If people have a preference for a particular type then I don't think it is unreasonable for them to pay for it.

Because adding bottled water would be a money loser.

Adding bottled water, energy drinks, and specialty coffee to the beverage package won't sell any more packages. And more importantly, won't scare anyone away from buying the package. So save money and exclude those items.

It is more than just the cost of the water. Every pound of weight cost fuel to move around the ocean (same reason airlines pulled ovens out of planes and only serve cold sandwiches (for $$$) in coach).

Not only the weight and fuel cost but the storage space. People don't understand a ship only has X amount of space for storage

Does anyone really think that they sell that many water packages that it makes any kind of financial impact at all? I have been to hotels and resorts selling the smaller bottles at the same or higher price that NCL sell the larger bottles for. When you consider the storage costs, both on and off the ship, the recycle costs of the used bottles and the manpower to load, get it to you cabin. There is a lot of handling that has to happen to get it to where it has to be.

As far as the speciality coffee is concerned my guess is that they have "coffee shop" on board and I'll bet it is probably leased space, just like the stores and the art auction. So the question is "Would you lease space if the company you were leasing it from gave away the same thing you are selling for free?" My guess is reimbursing the vendor from the UBP sales would be a royal pain.

Of course this is only my opinion.

NCL free at sea for 2 for a week costs about $250 for the service charge. Cheers on Carnival costs about $800 for 2 for a week, similar to Royal. Big enough price difference and money saved to buy bottled water on NCL with the package. You don't see Royal and Carnival giving free drink packages for 2 for $250 or so.

... While some may prefer Tap water, I do not. I do not drink it at home, so why should I on vacation? Just a preference...

Same here. The water where I live has an odd taste. Don't know anyone in my neighborhood who doesn't drink bottled water.

NCL free at sea for 2 for a week costs about $250 for the service charge. Cheers on Carnival costs about $800 for 2 for a week, similar to Royal. Big enough price difference and money saved to buy bottled water on NCL with the package. You don't see Royal and Carnival giving free drink packages for 2 for $250 or so.

While this is true, I do wish that they still allowed you to bring at least some of your own bottled water on board.

Same here. The water where I live has an odd taste. Don't know anyone in my neighborhood who doesn't drink bottled water.

While this is true, I do wish that they still allowed you to bring at least some of your own bottled water on board.

The problem is define some, if they allowed a 6 pack people would complain they want to bring a case. Plus why should NCL bear the cost of disposing of plastic bottles that they didn't bring on board.

The free drinks package we received on Spirit recently included bottled water, they give you one litre bottle per day per person which is left in cabin at start. We. Actually ad 20 1.5 litre bottles for our 10 day cruise and struggled to drink it all as you can get iced water in demand at any bar

Because its part of the Nickel and Dime NCL is known for.

they charge 20% gratuities on the beverage packages, they can at least afford to add on some cheap Niagara brand bottled waters.:rolleyes:

Yes, this is disappointing to us. We did just book a NCL cruise to try it out, but we are so used to Celebrity , which includes bottled water and specialty coffees, etc. that I'm a bit afraid I'll be disappointed. While some may prefer Tap water, I do not. I do not drink it at home, so why should I on vacation? Just a preference. I do see that NCL offers some sort of bottled water package so will check into that and maybe use our on board credit......I do think that NCL is just a money grab on this issue, but that's me.

Thats Norwegian for ya. NiCkeL and dime you. :)

who knows why, every line has its own packages. Which lines have you cruised that include sparking water and do you remember how much you paid for your cruise compared to NCL on a similar type ship and itinerary.

It has to be a financial reason, but I don't understand it. I was on HAL in December, and I had their Quench package that includes everything but booze. HAL finds a way to make money with it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We have cruised both lines more than once; for a similar class of ship, date and itinerary you pay at least 25% more for HAL> Love the line, prefer NCl prices and like someone said, there is nothing wrong with the free water on any ship. You want sparkling water to the bar, ask for soda water.

Can you order a water bottle package once on board so you can use on board credit?

I’ve certainly seen adverts around onboard for warmer packages, so yes you can buy them using OBC. I don’t know how the price compares to buying it in advance though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because its part of the Nickel and Dime NCL is known for.

they charge 20% gratuities on the beverage packages, they can at least afford to add on some cheap Niagara brand bottled waters.:rolleyes:

well I guess you don't plan on sailing NCL anytime soon. Call it what you want, I have cruised all lines and have been cruising for over 30 years, each line has its own way of profiting. The water thing regardless of the reason is one of the silliest gripes I have ever seen. All one has to do is buy one bottle or bring an empty bottle on and refill it. If anyone really thinks bottled water is any different from standard tap water they are probably being fooled.