Dog on ship, continued

The ADA does not permit the charging of fees for the animal's presence, but I do not believe that it prohibits charging for materials. I could be wrong, and look forward to being corrected by Googlers.

And you are right that they cannot be banned from eating venues, since their owners may need them there as well. But they can certainly be required to remain on the floor beneath the owner. In fact, that is what RC rules say. And RC rules actually say many of those things, like not leaving the animal alone in the cabin.

BUT THERE IS NO ENFORCEMENT.

Here are the rules:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=service_animals

I was going to cut and paste the whole page, but it is LONG. Click on the link and read.

And therein lies the problem.

The group on OA a few weeks ago was "PAWS" The cruisers have TRAINED assistance dogs. These cruisers also need these dogs for specific reasons -- blind, seizure disorder, PTSD, etc. I am afraid that the people with "Emotional Support Animals" or fake Service Dogs (with the Certificates bought on the Internet for $50) could make it harder for people to travel who need real, trained Assistance Animals.

Thank you Sherri - that was indeed the name of the group. The dogs were well behaved. The only time I saw one on loose was in the ocean on Labadee.

Quite different from little Fluffy in the sailor suit, being passed around to anyone who wanted to hold him. So, that brings up another point. I see folks congregating around these stroller dogs oohing and ahhing and making a fuss about how cute they are, all dressed up in the sailor suit. Doesn't this feed into the attention the person with emotional issue may want? (OK, I admit - they are usually cute dogs )

M

Quite different from little Fluffy in the sailor suit, being passed around to anyone who wanted to hold him. So, that brings up another point. I see folks congregating around these stroller dogs oohing and ahhing and making a fuss about how cute they are, all dressed up in the sailor suit. Doesn't this feed into the attention the person with emotional issue may want? (OK, I admit - they are usually cute dogs )

M

I guess the emotional issue in that case isn’t anxiety from crowds. Perhaps the emotional issue is a mental one, being the need for attention. ;)

Another thing that I think about, and it’s highly unlikely, is the risk of fleas. You are way more apt to catch it from a beach dog, if you pet one, but you never know.

Thank you Sherri - that was indeed the name of the group. The dogs were well behaved. The only time I saw one on loose was in the ocean on Labadee.

M

Unfortunately it's the same at the grocery store, etc. People fuss over the dog....especially if the dog is in the seat of the shopping cart. Most of the dogs I've seen in the seat of the shopping cart are pets. Walmart now has a sign as you come in the store showing a dog in a shopping cart with a red slash through it.

M

It definitely feeds into their need for attention.

Maybe folks who witness Little Fluffy and their owner's behavior -- being fed at the dinner table, defecating in public areas, excessive barking, biting etc. need to put it on their Post Cruise Surveys and to encourage others on the same cruise to do so. It may not solve the problem but it is a step in the right direction.

Maybe folks who witness Little Fluffy and their owner's behavior -- being fed at the dinner table, defecating in public areas, excessive barking, biting etc. need to put it on their Post Cruise Surveys and to encourage others on the same cruise to do so. It may not solve the problem but it is a step in the right direction.

Yes. Maybe tweet RC and FB them as well.

On our last trip on Freedom last year, a gentleman carried his small dog around for the full 2 week trip. There was no indication whatsoever that it was an ESA. I never saw it walk ever. We love the promenade deck on ships and every day Fido and said owner arrived at the relief station. After 'performing' it was immediately picked up into his arms and we followed said owner and dog to the windjammer whereby the owner walked past the purell machine and refused the purell from the staff member. We were speechless. He found a table, got food (yes Fido was at the food counters ) and Fido had his own chair and the owner was feeding the dog from his plate. Gross! I made very specific comments on the cruise survey but.........

The dog on the Antehm is apparently helping the old guy very much. Sometimes he needs him -- other times he is so well he does not (saracsm intended). He hangs out in the Diamond Club. This makes al service animals questionable -- should have very strict criteria for allowing - and yes, should have to pay a deep cleaning fee for the room just as smokers do

On our last trip on Freedom last year, a gentleman carried his small dog around for the full 2 week trip. There was no indication whatsoever that it was an ESA. I never saw it walk ever. We love the promenade deck on ships and every day Fido and said owner arrived at the relief station. After 'performing' it was immediately picked up into his arms and we followed said owner and dog to the windjammer whereby the owner walked past the purell machine and refused the purell from the staff member. We were speechless. He found a table, got food (yes Fido was at the food counters ) and Fido had his own chair and the owner was feeding the dog from his plate. Gross! I made very specific comments on the cruise survey but.........

Not enough words to describe how gross this man and Fido was......I'm not sure I could of kept my mouth shut!!!! Truely a spoiled Fido and ignorant man!

Somewhere along the way the dog went from being a pet to a family member and this industry is taking advantage of their market place. Just spend the bucks and take for dog, cat, or peacock anywhere. Well until a crackdown happens, and it appears as though the airlines are doing it now.

This is an example of one of the ESA website providers.

ESA Registration Of America - Emotional Support Animals

https://www.esaregistration.org/

ESA Registration Of America allows you to self-register your animal as an emotional support animal. Bring your animal anywhere in public it is permitted.

Testimonial_2.png

Just finished our first flight with our little Penelope and it was so amazing being able to have her sitting right next to us the entire flight. Thanks so much!

LOL, they didn't say that their anxiety was lessened on the flight.

Spend a few bucks and take Fido anywhere.

Another Sells Kits to make your dog an ESA. Here is an example of their product.

Compare our

Emotional Support Dog

Kits

esa-basic-kit.jpg

esa-complete-kit.jpg

esa-deluxe-kit.jpg

$79

$159

$199

As I said previously I'd rather have a 100 legitimate, OK maybe not 100 but a lot, of ADA service dogs on my cruise than Fido in their Captain's outfit.

Anyone know how to set up a website...I feel a career change is in my future. 25% off the 1st 50 certificates I issue!! ***Does not apply to peacocks.

I sure as heck would not dress them or push them in a stroller. Maybe people who do that have a physiological disorder or an attention seeking disorder. ;)

OK, I confess. I had a dog stroller. Our sweet yorkie Gidget (RIP) had Cushings disease. Since she could no longer walk for any length of time, we got one so she could still join us on our family park walks with the other 2 dogs. Reactions ranged from amused to curious to downright surly. Every time I heard a snotty comment about how spoiled she was, I made sure these people knew the dog had a disease, thankfully painless, that would eventually kill her. She grew to love it and it gave her some quality of life. Totally different of course than these loons who bring Twinkle and Sport on cruises since they can't bear to be apart. But I had to defend the "legitimate dog stroller" people. :)

Now - that being said, I would NEVER take our beasties on a cruise. Thankfully, the dogs I've seen on cruises have all been legitimate service dogs or an obvious support animal. As much as I love dogs, the fakers are doing a disservice not only to the other passengers but to legitimate service animals.

OK, I confess. I had a dog stroller. Our sweet yorkie Gidget (RIP) had Cushings disease. Since she could no longer walk for any length of time, we got one so she could still join us on our family park walks with the other 2 dogs. Reactions ranged from amused to curious to downright surly. Every time I heard a snotty comment about how spoiled she was, I made sure these people knew the dog had a disease, thankfully painless, that would eventually kill her. She grew to love it and it gave her some quality of life. Totally different of course than these loons who bring Twinkle and Sport on cruises since they can't bear to be apart. But I had to defend the "legitimate dog stroller" people. :)

Now - that being said, I would NEVER take our beasties on a cruise. Thankfully, the dogs I've seen on cruises have all been legitimate service dogs or an obvious support animal. As much as I love dogs, the fakers are doing a disservice not only to the other passengers but to legitimate service animals.

I am sure gidget is telling all her furry friends by the rainbow bridge what a caring, loving owner you were. God bless you.

Aw shucks thanks Sam and Andrew. Yeah, I'd like to be one of our dogs. ;) All rescues but as anyone who's done it knows, the dogs really rescue us. Such gratitude and unconditional love can teach us all to be better humans.

Ok - Andrew I am counting on another fabulous review from you in a few weeks!

Is this actually real?? Loved her pet so much she chose to drown it rather than miss her flight? This idiot should be charged with animal cruelty.

I've got 4 cats and they are not emotional support animals although I do feel very emotionally attached to them and I could never never never never even THINK of drowning them. Never.

Is this actually real?? Loved her pet so much she chose to drown it rather than miss her flight? This idiot should be charged with animal cruelty.

I've got 4 cats and they are not emotional support animals although I do feel very emotionally attached to them and I could never never never never even THINK of drowning them. Never.

I agree it just sounds so weird and i could never have done that to any of our cats or dogs we have had over the years.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app