Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

Agree. All of our past and future cruises were booked before the choice of RD or NRD. Earlier I assumed it was a reasonable price. So I just checked our future cruises and compared. No way would I choose to book a RD. I don't do it with airfare. My wife and I have a deal. If one of us dies the survivor will put the deceased on ice and deal with it when back from the cruise.;):D

LOL...Bucky wants burial at sea. :') He wants me to roll him off the end of the dock. ;p

The timing of price drops after final does't seem to have been affected by final payment being moved from 75 to 90 days. Sizable ones still seem to happen about 60 days out.

Bummer. I felt like I was reading a lot of posts from people who saw a price drop right after final payment and were upset they couldn’t cash in. My trip is in the summer so the ship will probably be full anyway and not needing to discount. Maybe I’ll get lucky, we’ll see I guess. I’m happy with the price I have now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Bummer. I felt like I was reading a lot of posts from people who saw a price drop right after final payment and were upset they couldn’t cash in. My trip is in the summer so the ship will probably be full anyway and not needing to discount. Maybe I’ll get lucky, we’ll see I guess. I’m happy with the price I have now.

No additional discounts after final payment...yes...but keep in mind the price drops on higher cat cabins. I have self upgraded many times for little to no extra charge after final payment. Good luck!! And happy cruising!

We saw a decent drop 2 days before final. Were able to go from bw balcony to superior ocean view and dropped 650 for the four of us. I am figuring some group cancelled. It all comes down to timing.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Looking to book a 12 day cruise in Europe in 2019. The deposit is $450 a person. If I book non refundable and have to cancel before final payment, would I lose all $450? And if I get insurance that has cancel for any reason, will they pay me the deposit I lose?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Looking to book a 12 day cruise in Europe in 2019. The deposit is $450 a person. If I book non refundable and have to cancel before final payment, would I lose all $450? And if I get insurance that has cancel for any reason, will they pay me the deposit I lose?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

If you are booking under North American rules, if you cancel or change dates, you would loose$100 pp and the rest would be sent as future Cruse credit usable within one year of the date of cancel.

As to insurance, you would have to check the individual policy, but most should cover it.

Bummer. I felt like I was reading a lot of posts from people who saw a price drop right after final payment and were upset they couldn’t cash in.

Drops after final are common, but I was talking about sizable (like 20+%) drops. Also, recently the price drops seem to be more of an incremental stair step affair instead of a just one big drop. This time of the year is a good time to observe this as many of the spring TAs have drops..

Drops after final are common, but I was talking about sizable (like 20+%) drops. Also, recently the price drops seem to be more of an incremental stair step affair instead of a just one big drop. This time of the year is a good time to observe this as many of the spring TAs have drops..

That makes sense. And they probably don’t drop our price much since it’s a summer cruise. But the same itinerary in early May (inside the 90 day mark now) has dropped to just under $300 for a refundable promenade, without taxes or fees. Now that would be exciting, but I know a drop like that won’t happen for summertime.

I don't like paying a premium for a refundable fare. I never played the book multiple cruises, decide later game, so maybe I resent (literally) paying for others' behavior.

I surely do agree with you about paying for others' bad behavior. I will never book a non-refundable deposit cruise. And I've never cancelled a cruise except once when there was no choice.

I surely do agree with you about paying for others' bad behavior. I will never book a non-refundable deposit cruise. And I've never cancelled a cruise except once when there was no choice.

Just treat the refundable as the regular fare, compare that to other lines if that number doesn't make sense, book with somebody else. Then you are not paying more, you are just not getting a discount. All in the perspective.

Just treat the refundable as the regular fare, compare that to other lines if that number doesn't make sense, book with somebody else. Then you are not paying more, you are just not getting a discount. All in the perspective.

I wish advertisements showed both prices, that way I could make a comparison more easily. The current way shows the lower priced NRD anywhere you look to price a cruise. So while your thought process is valid, being able to make comparable comparisons isn't always so straight forward of a process.

But the same itinerary in early May (inside the 90 day mark now) has dropped to just under $300 for a refundable promenade, without taxes or fees. Now that would be exciting, but I know a drop like that won’t happen for summertime.

Not sure where you are seeing prices like that - the lowest priced Freedom cabin I see is at least $600.

I wish advertisements showed both prices, that way I could make a comparison more easily. The current way shows the lower priced NRD anywhere you look to price a cruise. So while your thought process is valid, being able to make comparable comparisons isn't always so straight forward of a process.

That makes sense, and is probably party of the reason for it. Would a ta be able to just do the leg work?

The quote below was seen on another thread a few minutes ago, where the OP asked if the Wow sale was worth booking now. One of the responses included "The downside to Royal vs. Princess is that deposits are nonrefundable (refundable option but you pay more for that option so why bother)."

This is my point and what I've noticed from many responses on this thread. I realize not everyone as some people love the NRD and think they are getting a great deal. However, today I put 2 different Med cruises on option with Norwegian and will put a small deposit on one of them in a few days. By the time the final payment is due I will be able to confirm if the date will work, and at that point I'll book my air. The price was comparable to a couple of RCCL cruises I was considering, so it is in my interest to book with Norwegian at this point, in my situation. I wonder how this is affecting early bookings? I usually don't hesitate to book, and for a bigger itinerary I prefer to book in advance, so I think that means no early booking for RCCL for now.

I only book refundable. I do not enjoy this nonrefundable stuff and refuse to participate in it. Life has too many twist and turns.

With all the changes all the cruiselines are making, I book the best price with the refundable deposit on the cruise line that has the most competitive rate. Normally I look at Royal the most but it's an adventure to try other ships and lines.

I'm starting to become less picky about ships and cabins and just am happy I can still cruise. I'm price driven and will take most any boat that can get me to the beach at a reasonable price. If I get priced out or if it doesn't make sense anymore I'll just stop cruising all together.

I do have three future cruises booked right now with three different lines. So I'm good until the end of 2019. All refundable bookings.

Ive been checking to book 3 cabins, i dont see where it asks which you want, like if you book just one cabin. Also i cant figure out how to do a 24 hr hold anymore either.

I don't think you can do a 24-hour hold anymore (at least online) . When I made reservations on Celebrity I did see that option.

Unfortunately for us, when they introduced non-refundable vs refundable prices, they made the non-refundable price on par with what we booked at (i.e. which is the old way so its refundable). Guess we're in a fine position since we essentially have the non-refundable price, but we will never get a price drop (even through we booked 2 years out)

Guess we're in a fine position since we essentially have the non-refundable price, but we will never get a price drop (even through we booked 2 years out)

You can still get price drops (until final) under US booking rules, even with NRD rates.