Does anyone else dislike the non-refundable deposit option?

I think our cruise coming up in May in a GS will be our last RCCL cruise. We won't cruise in anything less than a GS and thankfully we booked this one before they made the suite deposits non-refundable. At $1000 a pop for a deposit on a 7 night cruise for 2 in a GS or above, I am not so sure people were tying up as many suites as people seem to think. Remember GS and above required double the regular deposit.

I looked into booking a suite for the spring of 2019 and my TA checked every date for a 4 month period, and even at over a year out there were no GS available on the ship we wanted. We are sailing Princess instead and only had to put $100 deposit down on a Penthouse suite and it is fully refundable.

I think our cruise coming up in May in a GS will be our last RCCL cruise. We won't cruise in anything less than a GS and thankfully we booked this one before they made the suite deposits non-refundable. At $1000 a pop for a deposit on a 7 night cruise for 2 in a GS or above, I am not so sure people were tying up as many suites as people seem to think. Remember GS and above required double the regular deposit.

I looked into booking a suite for the spring of 2019 and my TA checked every date for a 4 month period, and even at over a year out there were no GS available on the ship we wanted. We are sailing Princess instead and only had to put $100 deposit down on a Penthouse suite and it is fully refundable.

Ken can correct me, but I thought the double deposit went away when the suite deposits became non-refundable.

I don't "love" the NR deposit on suites and above, but I understand why they did it. I have seen a few people post about booking 10-20 cruises in GS and above and saying they had to decide which one to take (but admittedly not many post that). Heck if I could cruise that many times a year I might tempted to do it also. If it's in someone's budget to book a GS and above losing $100 on a cancellation shouldn't affect them that much. Now I would hate it, but that's what RCL is doing now.

More than one RCCL booking agent told us that a driving factor in the non-refundable deposit issue was the people booking multiple weeks in suites and later cancelling most of them. They said RCCL had pulled the data on these individuals booking records and decided to put a stop to it. Good for RCCL.

We have a reservation this December that we are 99% sure we'll keep. Called recently and got a good price drop converting it to non-refundable. 2100.00 for three in a 7 night balcony :)

Thanks to all who posted weighing in on this topic. It was interesting to read all of your perspectives. We did end up booking a fabulous 11 day Princess Med cruise. With final payment being in July, I can still plan for this without stressing. Pricing was comparable, which I thought was a good deal for Princess as often their Europe sailings price higher than RC.

When we booked our Vision cruise, the difference between the two rates was more than the deposit.

Refundable rate: 100% chance we’d spend an extra $125pp. Nonrefundable rate: Small chance we’d loose the $100pp deposit.

Realize the lower deposit rates are not always out there and we were booking just a few weeks before regular penalties kick in anyways - but it was a winner for us this time around.

Every deal is not for everyone in all circumstances.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just booked on board with $100 deposit - was a winner for me. Total cost of cruise about $400 cheaper so it was worth the $100 gamble.

• 1 month later...
Just booked on board with $100 deposit - was a winner for me. Total cost of cruise about $400 cheaper so it was worth the $100 gamble.

So if you decide later to change the date of your cruise, how do they assess the $100/person penalty? Do they add it rob the bill of the new cruise?

Also, do you get $100 on board credit on the current cruise for making the booking, or do you have to take it on the future cruise?

So if you decide later to change the date of your cruise, how do they assess the $100/person penalty? Do they add it rob the bill of the new cruise?

Also, do you get $100 on board credit on the current cruise for making the booking, or do you have to take it on the future cruise?

The $100 penalty is removed from the deposit, so you would less deposit going to the new cruise.

On board credit for booking onboard is no longer immediate, it's all on the future cruise.

Just noticed in the 2019-2020 schedule roll out for Australia that they too will be introducing NRD under Aussie booking rules - seems to be about a $200pp AU diff between the fares.

Yes, but I already have 2 booking with NRDs.

We never book a cruise we don't intend to take, and only had to change one once.

We don't care what the deposit is, the balance has to be paid eventually.

Cheers

Aussie Frequent Floaters

Our cruise travel agent won't even quote non-refundable rates unless you specifically ask and even then he's very cautionary about it. As he says, "sometimes life gets in the way of fun." It's vacation - no need to stress over having your money locked up if something changes.

You can see the effect of the NRD on the Oasis at the Next Cruise office.

At Next Cruise the NRD deposit is $100 pp, a RD is $250 pp. Before the $250 change Next Cruise might have 7 or 8 agents busy almost all the time. After the $250 deposit Next Cruise would be open with 2 or 3 agents and only one or two would be occupied.

At $100 deposit with refundable fare I might have 4 future cruises booked. I never cancelled for refund, but, would change dates or ships sometimes. At $250 deposit, I'll just wait for the last minute sales (sails??). I don't want to tie up $2000 to hold 4 future cruises. I want my money in my pocket, not Royal's pocket.

Both RCI and buying public want to thank you for not tying up those cabins.

I think RCI bears some responsibility for creating the situation back when they changed the program from just committing to cruise within a certain time period to “book a specific cruise.”

I just don’t think there are enough people who take more than 2 cruises a year and committing to a certain place and time more than 6 months out is difficult for many.

Especially, in the middle of the ocean, where it might be difficult to confer with family and work and get answers to schedule questions in a relatively short time.

I’d like to see them bring back an option to do something like the old program, where you can commit to cruising with them within a year or 18months, but not pick out a specific sailing. Maybe the perks for this would not be as good, but that would be something we could do. And we would not be wasting our time or that of the Nextcruise team booking a “hypothetical” cruise.

Edited by nealstuber

I think RCI bears some responsibility for creating the situation back when they changed the program from just committing to cruise within a certain time period to “book a specific cruise.”

I just don’t think there are enough people who take more than 2 cruises a year and committing to a certain place and time more than 6 months out is difficult for many.

Especially, in the middle of the ocean, where it might be difficult to confer with family and work and get answers to schedule questions in a relatively short time.

I’d like to see them bring back an option to do something like the old program, where you can commit to cruising with them within a year or 18months, but not pick out a specific sailing. Maybe the perks for this would not be as good, but that would be something we could do. And we would not be wasting our time or that of the Nextcruise team booking a “hypothetical” cruise.

I agree. I have a lot of flexibility selecting vacations, but my wife is tied to the school calendar. Makes committing to anything beyond next summer difficult, to say the least.

If you cancel a non refundable booking do you have to wait for the FCC to be issued orcan your tell them when you are cancelling what booking you want to use it on?

If you need the FCC on an existing booking, then yes, you may have to wait, but for a new booking I'm thinking it's not even a cancellation but you keep the same reservation number - they simply move $100 pp less onto the new reservation.

I'm finally going to pipe up on this one.

My philosophy is strictly from the consumer standpoint, although I know the corporate standpoint. I believe if you do not avail yourself of the product you paid for, IN ADVANCE, then you should be entitled to your full refund. If no services were provided, albeit due to your absence or not, you should get your monies back. Finis, that's all folks.

And I know you'll flame me for the corporate mentality of "The company needs the revenue and can't just let the ship vacate" argument. There has never been an instance where I have not heard the words "No there are no cabins available, cruise is full" a few days before the sailing and I do not for an instant think that cancellations due to illness or travel issues will cost the line a single solitary penny. :rolleyes:

We've only canceled 2 to my knowledge/memory and not for either of those issues. And way before the sailing. But if illness, family tragedy or travel issues befall you, it is through no fault of your own, then you shouldn't be penalized, insurance or not. After all, these premiums are what make insurance companies stinkin rich....and I used to be a rep for one of the biggest in the business.

That being said, we book the majority with the nuclear option to save money. We insure only cruises out of Florida ports. Not here in Texas. I'd have to have the plague or be strokin out to miss one anyways. But definitely not fair to charge somebody for receiving nothing!