No more First Cabin Access for Diamonds/Platinums?

jimbo5544

If First Access to your cabin for D/P is gone, will that make you not sail Carnival?  

658 members have voted

1. 1. If First Access to your cabin for D/P is gone, will that make you not sail Carnival?

• Yes - I am Diamond or Platinum already and this perk is important to me
    • No - I am Diamond or Platinum and this perk is not important to me
    • Yes - I am not Diamond or Platinum but this is something I was looking forward to
    • No - I am not Diamond or Platinum and this is something that is not important to me
    • Not bothered

New cruisers will not know that morning and evening service is standard and stewards will push passengers toward one time service as their workload has greatly increased. Eventually one time service will be standard.

I couldn't agree more. The people in the cabin next to us were not even asked what they wanted - they were first-time cruisers, and didn't know any better. They didn't even meet our steward until the 3rd day! He never came to introduce himself to them.

New cruisers will not know that morning and evening service is standard and stewards will push passengers toward one time service as their workload has greatly increased. Eventually one time service will be standard.

That may be but when that happens, a 50% decline in the tips given to the cabin steward will be simultaneously implemented. I don't pay full price for half the work.

I couldn't agree more. The people in the cabin next to us were not even asked what they wanted - they were first-time cruisers, and didn't know any better. They didn't even meet our steward until the 3rd day! He never came to introduce himself to them.

The more I think about it, while it’s a nice touch to meet our stewards, we don’t particularly care who cleans our room on land based vacations, so we find ourselves not really being bothered if the room stewards don’t go above and beyond and call us by name.

We’re on the younger side and I think the more Carnival targets younger generations, the more they’ll do away with the status quo of the expectations of the 80s and 90s cruise experience. I can’t speak for other people my age, but formality is out the window on vacations these days.

The more I think about it, while it’s a nice touch to meet our stewards, we don’t particularly care who cleans our room on land based vacations, so we find ourselves not really being bothered if the room stewards don’t go above and beyond and call us by name.

We’re on the younger side and I think the more Carnival targets younger generations, the more they’ll do away with the status quo of the expectations of the 80s and 90s cruise experience. I can’t speak for other people my age, but formality is out the window on vacations these days.

I do think you are right in that CCL is targeting the younger generation, and if people want more "formality" they will cruise Celebrity, Princess, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone recently returning platinum folks able to comment on this thread? Did you get early access to your cabins or not?

Just got off a cruise today, I had to open the door right around one o'clock to go to the hall to my room. My sail and sign were there and the room was ready. Other doors were still propped open with no sail and sign card.

Anyone recently returning platinum folks able to comment on this thread? Did you get early access to your cabins or not?

We boarded the Ecstasy on march 20th and no problems accessing our room ... actually thr lady at check in made it a point to tell us our room was ready (this was 11:30am)

I do think you are right in that CCL is targeting the younger generation, and if people want more "formality" they will cruise Celebrity, Princess, etc.

Can't prove that to me, our Conquest cruise in Jan was a 'SR/SR' Cruise!;p

There might have been 12 under 18 on the entire ship!

It all comes down to when you cruise!

Cruise during the summer/holidays and most cruises are younger!

Can't prove that to me, our Conquest cruise in Jan was a 'SR/SR' Cruise!;p

There might have been 12 under 18 on the entire ship!

It all comes down to when you cruise!

Cruise during the summer/holidays and most cruises are younger!

And the length of the cruise. We've been on two 8 day cruises and the age of the fellow cruisers was definitely older than what you see on a 5 day or less.

I really enjoy the VIFP perks and this would steer me to another cruise line. Princess offers priority access and other perks for suites.

Some of those perks are:

• free laundry-put the bag out before 8am (I think) for Same Day service.
  • A Mini Bar with 8 small bottles of assorted alcohol (think brandy, gin, vodka and whisky, do not remember brands sorry).
  • Personalised stationery
  • A Princess pen
  • 2 card Wallets
  • Chance to select free Canapes and you have a Chef's Selection on the 1st Night-I found it was an assortment.
  • The Platinum/Elite/Suite Function-was held in Skywalkers Bar with drinks and nibbles

HTH. It's nearly 18 months since I sailed Princess and there have been changes to the PES function.

And the length of the cruise. We've been on two 8 day cruises and the age of the fellow cruisers was definitely older than what you see on a 5 day or less.

Agree, younger ones less likely on 8 day plus cruises!

This is the sign on Glory in October. I even mentioned in my review that I wondered if they were going to be taking away early cabin access.

d7c04c16d206ae679213458e5915f3ec.jpg

That was the sign that was on our cruise in January 2018 on the Breeze. Quite different from the sign on the Breeze in January 2017 that invited Platinum, Diamond and FTTF to come in!

That was the sign that was on our cruise in January 2018 on the Breeze. Quite different from the sign on the Breeze in January 2017 that invited Platinum, Diamond and FTTF to come in!

Same sign was on the Dream in October, the Fantasy in December, and the Magic in February.

We've encountered the same exact sign on our last few cruises; differing ships. Asked old HD friend, last week on Glory about them. He said that Carnival is "standardizing" the signage. The priority VIFP and FTTF, he said, are still welcome to go to their cabins upon boarding. It isn't on the signs, he said, because so many we're going in regardless of priority.

We've encountered the same exact sign on our last few cruises; differing ships. Asked old HD friend, last week on Glory about them. He said that Carnival is "standardizing" the signage. The priority VIFP and FTTF, he said, are still welcome to go to their cabins upon boarding. It isn't on the signs, he said, because so many we're going in regardless of priority.

That is the most logical reason I have heard.

Just got off Conquest in a Ocean suite. Our sail and sign cards were there but our steward came in about 2 minutes after we did and asked us to leave because he wasn't done with our stateroom yet.

Just got off the Magic this past Saturday, so boarded 1.5 weeks ago. I am platinum and boarded right at 11am. There was no signage saying Platinum could access rooms so I went to Guest Services to ask. The lady told me “I’m sorry that’s no longer a benefit for platinum and diamond. Only FTTF receive this benefit.” I told her I was surprised to hear this because John Heald had not one, but 2 Facebook posts this week saying that was absolutely a rumor. She looked surprised and she asked me to hang on one minute. She went to the back office and talked to someone. She came back a minute later and apologized for the confusion and said I could access the room :confused: Hmm, ok... not sure what changed.

Anyways, we went to our room and it WAS ready and our S&S cards were waiting for us. One of the assistant room attendants was very unhappy with us and started yelling something to the main room steward in a different language. Luckily, our main room steward was amazing. He smiled at us and welcomed us aboard.

Long story short, it’s not gone yet. But, if I had to bet, it will be gone shortly.

We boarded the Ecstasy on March 20th .. lady at check in counter said "you know the drill, but I still have to say it ... blah blah blah and of course your room is ready now"

Signs on the fire door are the new generic ones ... I am thinking to supposedly stop everyone unless they know they can access their cabins.

Marquis (sp) sign that is on a loop telling everyone about the ship, things to do, cheers and of course when your cabin is ready ... same sign as always Diamond, Platinum and FTTF have priority room access (available at 11:30), everyone else is 1:30

Our room was about 98% ready (missing the 2 free waters and 2 glasses) - no biggie ... unpacked, left our standard note for extra pillows & glasses and asked for ice and off we went to get lunch.

Removing that perk from D/P would not be a good move on Carnival's part ... I'd surely give up those nasty chocolate covered strawberries if they need to save $ and hire more staff

The port employees that check you in still have the same information as far as priority rooms being ready, that doesn't really mean anything.

Somene earlier said something like this move would be putting greed before loyalty, so true, and I will purposely book many cruises on other lines in a direct response to this.

Just got off the Magic this past Saturday, so boarded 1.5 weeks ago. I am platinum and boarded right at 11am. There was no signage saying Platinum could access rooms so I went to Guest Services to ask. The lady told me “I’m sorry that’s no longer a benefit for platinum and diamond. Only FTTF receive this benefit.” I told her I was surprised to hear this because John Heald had not one, but 2 Facebook posts this week saying that was absolutely a rumor. She looked surprised and she asked me to hang on one minute. She went to the back office and talked to someone. She came back a minute later and apologized for the confusion and said I could access the room :confused: Hmm, ok... not sure what changed.

Anyways, we went to our room and it WAS ready and our S&S cards were waiting for us. One of the assistant room attendants was very unhappy with us and started yelling something to the main room steward in a different language. Luckily, our main room steward was amazing. He smiled at us and welcomed us aboard.

Long story short, it’s not gone yet. But, if I had to bet, it will be gone shortly.

Wow it gets better and better