Bed by the window - calling all seniors!

warmwinds

Yes, I have looked on the S class matrix and my cabin has been SWORN to have the bed by the bath AND by the window.

It is a nice quiet cabin, and we plan on keeping it no matter what (also since there are no other cabins in that class available), so my only question is:

For those of you who get up in the night to use the restroom, how difficult is it to navigate past the sofa/desk/chair. I've always chosen bed by the bath so I just get up and feel my way around the wall (I sleep on the side facing the wall). Since I "may" have to navigate the whole room, just looking for assurance it is doable and I won't crack my shin/stub my toe/trip over something or other.

Thanks, I feel better now. But doesn't the bathroom door slam shut if you are at sea? I really like the idea of a night light on that side of the room.

My other concern was not just being able to "see" the obstacles, but navigating them if the ship is traveling quickly at night - many times they try to slow down/go calm during the day but haul butt during the night.

No matter where the bed is located, dh and I always have a miniature flashlight on our nightstands.

We don't travel without them. Needed them in a London hotel one evening when a neighboring guest blew out some fuse.

Being extremely myopic, I’ve always had this problem lol. I had this issue on our last cruise. I shoved the coffee table a bit closer to the sofa, and placed my muted cell phone (in airplane mode, of course) on the edge of the coffee table closest to the bed. The light from my screen saver helped me avoid the coffee table. We always travel with small flashlights as well, and keep them on the night stands at night.

Thanks, I feel better now. But doesn't the bathroom door slam shut if you are at sea? I really like the idea of a night light on that side of the room.

My other concern was not just being able to "see" the obstacles, but navigating them if the ship is traveling quickly at night - many times they try to slow down/go calm during the day but haul butt during the night.

Never had that problem with the doors slamming during the night. We use the bathroom as a night light. You don't know how fast the ship is moving when in your room. You would know if you were outside.

If you're concerned just put a towel over the top of the bathroom door...We too always travel with the mini flashlights...you never know.

OP it's doable having bed by balcony - I'm not a senior but prefer bed by balcony and my cabin pitch black when I sleep. When I get up during the night I walk by touch with my hands - feel the end of bed, then reach out for the cabinet and stay close so I don't walk into the table (I usually use my other hand to touch edge is table too just to be sure). I find it easy to navigate by touch and no light means I don't disturb my husband's sleep. But I do like the great suggestion of light useage from others above. They are great tips.

Most recently, the bed in our cabin was near the balcony. My DH asked our cabin steward to remove the cocktail table and that made the path from one end of the cabin to the other much easier to navigate. The table was actually moved onto the balcony. We didn't miss it at all.

I agree with the prior comments re: leaving the bathroom door cracked open. We do that too and find that it provides enough light to get to and from the bed to the bathroom during the night.

Senior with those same senior requirements - solution is the plug in small lights that have a photo sensor on them. Turn on in the dark and off in light and not very bright, just enough light and have directional ability.

Hal

Senior with those same senior requirements - solution is the plug in small lights that have a photo sensor on them. Turn on in the dark and off in light and not very bright, just enough light and have directional ability.

Hal

Yes, we have those all over the house - they are great.

Just an fyi that some of the S-class ships (the Silhouette for sure) have a "night light" in the bathroom that comes on automatically when the other lights are out. On the Silhouette, at least, this night light threw a disturbing (to us) amount of light into the cabin itself from the bottom of the bathroom door. There was no way to turn this light off, and since the bathroom is raised up, we could not put a towel in front of the door to block this light.

I've read on here that there's a master switch on some ships to disable this night light, but there was none on the Silhouette.

So if you are on a ship with this night light, that may be all you need.

We always travel with small LED flashlights, and keep one on the nightstand.

OP it's doable having bed by balcony - I'm not a senior but prefer bed by balcony and my cabin pitch black when I sleep. When I get up during the night I walk by touch with my hands - feel the end of bed, then reach out for the cabinet and stay close so I don't walk into the table (I usually use my other hand to touch edge is table too just to be sure). I find it easy to navigate by touch and no light means I don't disturb my husband's sleep. But I do like the great suggestion of light useage from others above. They are great tips.

I do that too

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ditto! We move the coffee table over closer to couch and bed, and keep it there all week. Rarely sit on more than one side of the couch anyway. And then I feel my way all the way there and afterward....with my eyes still closed! :D The night light is too bright for me in the bathroom, too.

Do the bathroom doors pull out towards the room or push in into the bathroom? I'm wondering if you could put the towel down inside the bathroom and then close the door?

In any event I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries about this, it will be our first ever bed by the balcony and I didn't book it on purpose, I'm actually not even sure if it is or isn't since half the people say yes and half say no, but we'll deal with whatever it is.