Change to MDR menu?

IECalCruiser

I was looking at photo from a blog by CC member Solent Richard, solentrichardcruiseblog.com

Instead of the hamburger or Curtis Stone options, there instead were "Crown Grill Selects" for $19/person. They included a 14 oz. rib-eye with red skin mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus, an 8 oz. filet mignon with red skin mashed potatoes and sauteed wild mushrooms, and a 6-7 oz. lobster tail with red skin mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus. There was also a surf and turf option for $29/person.

Has anyone else seen this option and is it just a trial or something being rolled out fleet wide?

This was on a 15 Hawaii cruise and on one sea day there was also a lunch time buffet offered in the Amalfi Restaurant with a menu somewhat like the sea day sunday brunch offered on world cruises but not as elaborate.

I read they were considering testing these options that are offered on some other cruise lines such as Carnival & RCI.

That’s the first time I’ve read about it actually being tested. In past discussions most thought those would be prepared in the MDR galley & not at the CG. Lacking the the Crown Grill’s other courses, I’d go there instead of paying for upgraded entrées but could see some people willing to pay for it.

I was looking at photo from a blog by CC member Solent Richard, solentrichardcruiseblog.com

Instead of the hamburger or Curtis Stone options, there instead were "Crown Grill Selects" for $19/person. They included a 14 oz. rib-eye with red skin mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus, an 8 oz. filet mignon with red skin mashed potatoes and sauteed wild mushrooms, and a 6-7 oz. lobster tail with red skin mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus. There was also a surf and turf option for $29/person.

Has anyone else seen this option and is it just a trial or something being rolled out fleet wide?

This was on a 15 Hawaii cruise and on one sea day there was also a lunch time buffet offered in the Amalfi Restaurant with a menu somewhat like the sea day sunday brunch offered on world cruises but not as elaborate.

Interesting. There is some risk in this concept if introduced as an always available item. It could reduce the draw to the specialty venues. It could be a winner if it creates good volumes.

When I read the title, I suspected that there may have been a change such as the removal of the beef medallions for the "gourmet burger". I feared that it could be a change out of the salmon for a deluxe tuna sandwich.

The original discussion from when this first cropped up:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2586255&highlight=submarine

Since only one ship has reported this (Star Princess) it seems to be just a trial and/or experiment.

And just to be clear all the other "Princess Favorites" remain on the everyday dinner menu as seen in the blog, just no beef option other than the upcharge ones. The opening post of this thread seems to imply that there is nothing but the latter.

...And just to be clear all the other "Princess Favorites" remain on the everyday dinner menu as seen in the blog, just no beef option other than the upcharge ones. The opening post of this thread seems to imply that there is nothing but the latter.
Thanks for clarifying. I tried to be clear by posting “Instead of the hamburger or Curtis Stone options.”

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I predict before long in the MDR there will be 1 soup, salad or app, 1 entree, 1 dessert for everyone that is included in our cruise fare. If you don't like that option the menu will be filled with PAY EXTRA FOR choices like this. They will have to make room on the menu for these. What is sad is it that it is US, the passengers, that will cause it by taking the bait and ordering these things they throw out as "trials"

It's coming, just wait and see

Edited by hpeabody

I predict before long in the MDR there will be 1 soup, salad or app, 1 entree, 1 dessert for everyone that is included in our cruise fare. If you don't like that option the menu will be filled with PAY EXTRA FOR choices like this. They will have to make room on the menu for these. What is sad is it that it is US, the passengers, that will cause it by taking the bait and ordering these things they throw out as "trials"

It's coming, just wait and see

I do see this as a slippery slope... that is why I will stick with the Crown Grill. MDR has slipped already, so much so, that we either do the buffet or the Crown Grill and skip the MDR.

I do see this as a slippery slope... that is why I will stick with the Crown Grill. MDR has slipped already, so much so, that we either do the buffet or the Crown Grill and skip the MDR.

What makes you think the Crown Grill hasn’t been slipping? It definitely not as good as it once was. Last year they returned our money because the service was so bad. We were 8 people and it took 4 hrs. for us to get out of there. 6 to10 p.m. The service was TERRIBLE.

Tony

Nothing like admitting the food in the dining room has deteriorated so much that you need to pay extra to get a decent meal.

Not Surprised they would do this since they have been reducing how often they offer steak in the DR.

Carnival went this route a few years ago. For us if we want a good steak and willing to pay for it will go to the Crown Grill.

RCCL does also. Apparently Princess is becoming the copycaters instead of leaders.

It's sad. Very sad. I certainly hope that people refuse to purchase these "better" meals in the MDR. Crikey, they've already lowered the quality of meals enough with their stringy, grissled NY steaks in the mdr, and substituting even that with a burger on the "always available" menu. (though I hate to admit it, the burger's better than the steak):(

Anyway, we've already been taking less cruises and more land trips. Cruising just isn't the value it used to be especially when you have to buy everything extra after paying a premium to be onboard.

Just saying..

In the past I have joked with my family that I would be packing some military MRE's just in case I did not like what was offered for dinner in the MDR. Now..........

It sounds like I might actually be doing this. Just hope my meal heaters will not be confiscated. :D

Bob

They have upcharge items in the MDR now? When did this start? This does not make me happy. Not having beef is fine with me, although I do like the Prime Rib on the first night, but an upcharge in the dining room??? Say it isn't so.

Last year on the Regal, there was a $10.00 upcharge if you wanted a second lobster tail in the Crown Grill; and where it used to be you could get surf and turf, if you wanted it, you paid an extra charge. Also, 2 years ago we had a very large group on Halloween. We had made arrangement before we boarded and it was great. Same group this past year and when we got to the restaurant, they told us (for the first time) that we had 3 main courses to chose from. They had changed their policy and never told us, not even when our leader stopped by the day before to finalize the evening. All but 5 or 6 of the people in our party left. Those of us who stayed had a great meal, but nothing compared to the sumptuous fare we enjoyed the year before. And, it cost a lot more.

AH. The journey down the slippery slope !. The same path as the airlines took those many years ago. I see the trouble being that, there are so many cruise ships on the ocean that, in general, basic fare costs are being cut so as to drag in the customers then the grab grab grab starts when you board. Overall cruising costs a lot less nowadays as against say even 20 years ago so the bean counters become challenged how to not just to kill the golden goose but still fill the till. DW and I have been very loyal to Princess, perhaps it's time to move on.

Overall cruising costs a lot less nowadays as against say even 20 years ago so the bean counters become challenged how to not just to kill the golden goose but still fill the till. DW and I have been very loyal to Princess, perhaps it's time to move on.

I just did a calculation -- this ties into another thread that is discussing moving to a more upscale line. We paid $1250 each for our first cruise in 1986 it was a 7 day on Royal Caribbean, including airfare. I just checked the same length cruise on Oceania and adjusted for inflation and the same class cabin (outside - there were no balconies then) with airfare, the price was almost exactly the same as we paid in 1986. (plus the Oceania cruise has free internet and a drink package included) -- this wasn't some last minute special -- all cabin categories on the cruise I checked were wait-listed.

Maybe it is time to consider loosening the purse strings and pay what we used to, for the quality we used to get. Food for thought -- no pun intended ;p

It's sad. Very sad. I certainly hope that people refuse to purchase these "better" meals in the MDR. Crikey, they've already lowered the quality of meals enough with their stringy, grissled NY steaks in the mdr, and substituting even that with a burger on the "always available" menu. (though I hate to admit it, the burger's better than the steak):(

Anyway, we've already been taking less cruises and more land trips. Cruising just isn't the value it used to be especially when you have to buy everything extra after paying a premium to be onboard.

Just saying..

Oh its not just me finding the steaks in the MDR tough and gristly then?

Both the NY strip and worse the Cowboy steaks.

I have just stopped ordering them, Princess seem to buy the lowest quality steaks

On one of our Princess Cruises I heard a passenger say he had gotten a better steak at Waffle House.

that easily could have been me;p

the 'filet' in the mdr is terrible, and not worthy of being on a menu..