what are my options if the price I paid for 2A cabin is now reduced ???

joylikes2shop

The 90 days leading up to a cruise are when there’s the most variation in price. Late bookers have to balance catching price drops with limited cabin availability and the possibility of a sell out. You won’t be able to get a refund of the difference this close to sailing but you may be able to upgrade your cabin. Try to balance out any frustration you feel with the knowledge that if you had waited to book, the ship could just as easily have sold out which would have left you not taking your ‘dream’ cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Honestly, there’s no point. It’s the policy here and they won’t budge.

Phil

So are you saying if the OP wants to upgrade their cabin and pay the price difference, they cannot do so in the UK?

We recently had a price drop on the cruise we just returned home from. Originally had an AQ booked. The AQ's, as well as the Sky Suites, went down in price. We were able to upgrade ourselves to the Sky Suite for a total of $500. Well worth it as the SS came with extra perks, including even more OBC ($300). So we really ended up paying only $200 to upgrade. ;) So in addition to the wonderfully larger room, bathroom, closets, and balcony, we had the perks of eating in Luminae or Blu, the Premium Drink Package, Unlimited Internet, Gratuities, and $700 OBC!

As a rule, it's better for one's mental health to stay away from looking at prices after final payment. :)

How true. It's also wise not to check the prices on any spur of the moment, unresearched item purchased abroad. :')

So are you saying if the OP wants to upgrade their cabin and pay the price difference, they cannot do so in the UK?

We recently had a price drop on the cruise we just returned home from. Originally had an AQ booked. The AQ's, as well as the Sky Suites, went down in price. We were able to upgrade ourselves to the Sky Suite for a total of $500. Well worth it as the SS came with extra perks, including even more OBC ($300). So we really ended up paying only $200 to upgrade. ;) So in addition to the wonderfully larger room, bathroom, closets, and balcony, we had the perks of eating in Luminae or Blu, the Premium Drink Package, Unlimited Internet, Gratuities, and $700 OBC!

You may be surprised at what we can’t do in the UK, flexibility it not an oft used word when it comes to holiday bookings

Yep, that's what I'm saying. And don't make it worse by telling us all the wonderful things you got extra! ;) :D

Phil

You may be surprised at what we can’t do in the UK, flexibility it not an oft used word when it comes to holiday bookings
I booked three weeks ago with a drinks package included. This week they have also included free unlimited WiFi and the cabin is exactly the same price with this included. Phoned up and the only option is to lose the £300 deposit and rebook. Of course I would be no better off as the cost of the WiFi works out about the same.

Just because I'm curious, what are the major differences b/t UK bookings and US bookings for Celebrity. It seems anecdotally from cruises I've been on, that UK travelers tend to get drinks packages included for "free" as part of their booking (not directly from cruise line). However, I could well be wrong about that and know there are other differences. If someone can succinctly summarize, I'd like to know -- again, just for curiosity's sake.

I agree with Phil. This has happened to us and in the past it was possible to get some kind of benefit nowadays Celebrity in the UK will not offer either an upgrade or refund.

We booked our upcoming sailing while on board a previous cruise, so only paid the low deposit. There was a massive price drop recently just before final payment, our TA dealt with it, cancelled the original booking, and lost our deposit and the additional $200 OBC for booking on board, rebooked in the same cabin with the remaining perks of drinks package $300 OBC and free gratuities. Even after that we were still $700 better off.

We booked our upcoming sailing while on board a previous cruise, so only paid the low deposit. There was a massive price drop recently just before final payment, our TA dealt with it, cancelled the original booking, and lost our deposit and the additional $200 OBC for booking on board, rebooked in the same cabin with the remaining perks of drinks package $300 OBC and free gratuities. Even after that we were still $700 better off.

You’d have been better off moving that onboard booking to a sailing far in advance and starting afresh with the reduced price one. That way, you wouldn’t have lost your deposit (only doable on onboard reservations though). They sometimes say it isn’t possible, but if it states it in your T&C (which I get a copy of if I make an onboard UK booking) then send X, via your TA, a copy ;). You just have to remember how many placeholder bookings you have and in which countries you’ve booked them ;p.

Different promotions at different times. Deposit lower in UK but not refundable on cancellation at any time. Final payment is 90 days out for US but much shorter for UK (60 days?)

57 days, Gill ;).x

Just because I'm curious, what are the major differences b/t UK bookings and US bookings for Celebrity. It seems anecdotally from cruises I've been on, that UK travelers tend to get drinks packages included for "free" as part of their booking (not directly from cruise line). However, I could well be wrong about that and know there are other differences. If someone can succinctly summarize, I'd like to know -- again, just for curiosity's sake.

Beverage packages are from X just the same as US reservations - unsure where you heard that one from?

Where shall we start with the differences :confused::

- Non-refundable deposits, without the lower price.

- Charged for any changes to booking.

- Very rare to be able to get upgrades after or before final payment if there are any price drops.

- If booking a GTY, you have to accept what you are allocated, no changes permitted within the same category like US bookings.

- No price drops, even prior to FP, without losing your deposit.

- Charged for moving booking to Royal.

- Very rare to receive any additional OBC from TAs, and even if this happens, not on the scale of the US (I’ve boarded with up to $1300 OBC in the US).

You get the drift.

That final post summed up the rules for booking in the UK. That’s why we have 2 travel agents. One in the UK and one in the US and we compare the cruise we are interested in before booking. In most cases the US agent wins out.

That final post summed up the rules for booking in the UK. That’s why we have 2 travel agents. One in the UK and one in the US and we compare the cruise we are interested in before booking. In most cases the US agent wins out.

Me too ;).

You’d have been better off moving that onboard booking to a sailing far in advance and starting afresh with the reduced price one. That way, you wouldn’t have lost your deposit (only doable on onboard reservations though). They sometimes say it isn’t possible, but if it states it in your T&C (which I get a copy of if I make an onboard UK booking) then send X, via your TA, a copy ;). You just have to remember how many placeholder bookings you have and in which countries you’ve booked them ;p.

You know I never thought of that at the time, we're already looking at an ABC islands sailing for 2020 and will probably book at Future cruises later this month. We actually did what you suggested from another sailing to an Edge cruise in 2019

Beverage packages are from X just the same as US reservations - unsure where you heard that one from?

Where shall we start with the differences :confused::

- Non-refundable deposits, without the lower price.

- Charged for any changes to booking.

- Very rare to be able to get upgrades after or before final payment if there are any price drops.

- If booking a GTY, you have to accept what you are allocated, no changes permitted within the same category like US bookings.

- No price drops, even prior to FP, without losing your deposit.

- Charged for moving booking to Royal.

- Very rare to receive any additional OBC from TAs, and even if this happens, not on the scale of the US (I’ve boarded with up to $1300 OBC in the US).

You get the drift.

Nice list.:(

Travel Agents must love those “rules”. I am sure all the cruise companies are also pleased.

Why do they have these rules?

Thanks

Travel rules vary and in some cases UK travellers have better benefits. We boarded a flight in Shanghai, started to taxi, then turned back. We sat on the plane for two hours, then had to get off, claim our luggage and wait to be taken to a hotel. One shuttle bus for the whole plane, so more than three hours before we reached the hotel. We waited all the following day for a part to be brought in from Canada and fitted. We eventually took off 28 hours late. For this we were offered 25% off a future flight to be taken within a year.

UK passengers would have received cash compensation, but none for Canadians.

Certainly we have better regulations for cruises but not for flights.

This happened to us as well. You will never get money back. We got a cabin upgrade. We had a regular balcony cabin. Price went down and I called and got moved to concierge class. Price went down more and I called again and was upgraded to aqua class. This was an American booking so don't know what the rules are for the UK.

I confess I am a little confused. I thought (based on US rules, or at least Celebrity's US rules) that if you wanted to upgrade to a higher level cabin after final payment the price of that cabin had to be at least $1 more than your previous cabin. Yet I am reading here of many who say they upgraded for free, in addition to keeping their original perks. Did the rules change or am I just confused (a definite possibility!). We have had success upgrading rooms, but always for an upcharge. Have never been so lucky as to have what is in essence a free upgrade after final payment. Most of the last minute awesome prices I have seen are also with no perks, or fewer perks than what we booked for. If there are good perks they are generally offered with new bookings only. What am I missing here??? We have 43 Celebrity cruises under our belt so you would think I would know this stuff by now.

I’m in the U.K. and find it’s always worth ringing Celebrity if the price or perks change after you’ve booked. This year I had two pricing issues with my forthcoming cruise. The first time was before final payment and I ended up having to lose my deposit and rebook the same cabin but I still saved around £500.

Then after final payment, the price stayed pretty much the same but the OBC perk increased. So I rang Celebrity who, without much difficulty, offered me the extra OBC which I was very grateful for.

I find this topic fascinating. Seriously. It sounds like UK passengers have a lot of onerous elements. Other than lower deposits, do you UK folks get any good deals from X that we Americans don't? (BTW, I think you deserve some!)

I find this topic fascinating. Seriously. It sounds like UK passengers have a lot of onerous elements. Other than lower deposits, do you UK folks get any good deals from X that we Americans don't? (BTW, I think you deserve some!)

Not perks, I have noticed there are now times when prices for certain cruises can work out cheaper booked over here. But on the whole as i’ve Found again with free internet just added three weeks after booking you either lose the deposit and re book or just accept you lost out. To be fair 95% of cruisers in the UK probably have no idea about the differences and it’s only frustrating if you know and read cruise critic and the like.

Its not just Celebrity the underlying once you have booked you cannot change - only cancel and rebook applies to most if not all lines. Following a spate of offers on a Princess cruise

that US bookers could take advantage of - including drinks and gratuities I asked Princess uk If any of this was coming to the UK. Given short shrift NO!!!

Even worse the cruise here was advertised as 27 days - in the US they then offered it as 20 & 7 which meant the US shareholders could claim benefit on both the 20 day and 7 day. ( some even cancelled the 27 and rebooked -No charge!!) I have queried this with the shareholders benefit section but as the cruise is some time off they .wont give an answer until 90 days previous ??? but guess it will be an emphatic NO!

The low start deposits here are a laugh - if you pay £20 say then cancel before either the rest of the deposit is due or final payment you do not just lose the £20 you have to pay them whatever the full deposit would have been.

I’ve had this discussion with others, including friends, before. Whilst I wish there was a standard for it across all markets this is one restriction I understand. Example. You have on the Celebrity website a specific suite price offered at total £8,000 where you can pick your S2 cabin. There is also an offer for a suite guarantee for total £7,000. You pick the guarantee, are allocated an S2 in an area you don’t like and switch it to the one you do. In effect you are booking a specific cabin for £1,000 less. Celebrity offer it cheaper as a guarantee because they decide where the cabin is. This gives them flexibility and control in return for a cheaper fare for the guest. By being able to switch cabin as you can for example in the US you are circumventing the GTY offer.

Anecdotally, I do know that this practice used to be done in the U.K., but management here got wise to it and warned staff not to do it again. So as I said, I understand Celebrity doing it when they do, but wish it was the same standard for everyone.

Phil