Buyer Beware: Don't fall for Future Cruises

I'm a huge fan of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises. I'd even say I'm loyal to the Royal family as you can see from my signature below, all my cruises have been exclusively on these 2 lines.

I'm very happy with the cruise experience, and I will continue to cruise these 2 lines. However, sharing my experience on booking future cruises while on board.

Experienced cruisers will know that nearly everyday, there will be flyers in your stateroom explaining amazing offers and benefits of booking your next cruise on board. They will also tell you that you can make changes to your cruise. However what they wont disclose is that this change is allowed free of cost, only for 30 days after booking.

After 30 days, you can make changes, but you incur a $100 change fee, per person.

I booked multiple future cruises in 2016 and had no issues changing them in the past. Now my remaining 6 future cruises have to either incur a $200 change fee, or I forfeit the booking amount if I can't take those cruises.

Hence, please keep in mind that this rule has changed and only book a future cruise if you are 100% sure that you're taking it.

Cheers!

Nick

The change fee is only if you book with the nonrefundable deposit. No I don't like this new policy and will try to avoid it. It exists even if you book with a TA or with RCI. You can avoid it by booking with a refundable deposit but your cabin will be a little more. You have to decide what you want.

Yep, one needs to know the terms and conditions so thanks for the heads up. When we board Anthem I'll know 1) when we can cruise next 2) where we want to go 3) which ship/itinerary we're interested in 4) what Royal wants for it regularly and 5) what the competition is asking for a similar cruise.

One time I was quoted a price that was higher than the price I had seen on the website 30 minutes before, but after I explained what I had just seen, the price came down $400. I do believe it was an innocent error, but one needs to know all the info before speaking to the Next Cruise people.

One time I was quoted a price that was higher than the price I had seen on the website 30 minutes before, but after I explained what I had just seen, the price came down $400. I do believe it was an innocent error, but one needs to know all the info before speaking to the Next Cruise people.

That has happened to me before and I had to show them that it was actually less. Makes me wonder...😏

My family of 4 (wife and 2 kids) have always sailed in a Grand Suite for less than $5k for 7 night Caribbean cruises. Try getting that rate with a Next Cruise purchase - you won't get it. I haunt the website and IF I find a deal I pounce. If I don't find a deal we do land based vacations. Will be on HOTS this September again for less than $5k in a GS. When I pass by the Next Cruise desk on my upcoming cruise I will waive my middle finger in the air like Mr. Bean and chuckle at the people who waste their time and treasure in there.

.....and they give you a form at the Next Cruise desk, which you are required to sign and you get a copy, that explains all of that.

Exactly! In our experience they’ve made that abundantly clear.

I'm a huge fan of Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises. I'd even say I'm loyal to the Royal family as you can see from my signature below, all my cruises have been exclusively on these 2 lines.

I'm very happy with the cruise experience, and I will continue to cruise these 2 lines. However, sharing my experience on booking future cruises while on board.

Experienced cruisers will know that nearly everyday, there will be flyers in your stateroom explaining amazing offers and benefits of booking your next cruise on board. They will also tell you that you can make changes to your cruise. However what they wont disclose is that this change is allowed free of cost, only for 30 days after booking.

After 30 days, you can make changes, but you incur a $100 change fee, per person.

I booked multiple future cruises in 2016 and had no issues changing them in the past. Now my remaining 6 future cruises have to either incur a $200 change fee, or I forfeit the booking amount if I can't take those cruises.

Hence, please keep in mind that this rule has changed and only book a future cruise if you are 100% sure that you're taking it.

Cheers!

Nick

I am curious what ship you booked your future cruises. I booked 2 on board Oasis. It was very clearly explained and I believe I had to initial that I had been told about the change. If you feel like it was not explained, you need to let Royal know, so they can retrain those in the LA office.

The only advantage for booking on board is the OBC that comes along and I believe a lower deposit amount. Otherwise everything is the same whether booking thru a TA of RCL.

That's two advantages. So as long as you know that you will be sailing again and when and where why not take advantage of it (especially since Royal allows you to use any OBC before hand in booking things onboard)?

We booked a next cruise last week while on Allure. The agent we dealt with explained everything. When she was giving me info, she did tell me it was a non-refundable deposit as it was only $100.

I did ask her about a non-refundable deposited cruise and she explained she could do that, but it was more expensive. She went on to say that the non-refundable could be changed within 30 days at no charge.

She also gave me a paper to sign that had the info she gave me. The receipt that she gave me also had the info.

Obviously, OP, you had a different experience, but ours was great.

I have wandered into NextCruise a few times, and looked specifically at sailings that I knew I was interested in. I never booked one, and so glad that I didn't. I have found that I can get a better overall value doing it outside of NextCruise, and able to avoid all the restrictions.

I have wandered into NextCruise a few times, and looked specifically at sailings that I knew I was interested in. I never booked one, and so glad that I didn't. I have found that I can get a better overall value doing it outside of NextCruise, and able to avoid all the restrictions.

What restrictions are there in Next Cruise that don't exist elsewhere?

Not only are there the same restrictions elsewhere for nonrefundable deposits, but when you book on board you have 30 days to make changes without penalty. That does not exist when you book elsewhere, as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The restriction of being non refundable due to the onboard credit. I have never booked a sailing that was non refundable with RCI/CCL up to the final payment date.

Not only are there the same restrictions elsewhere for nonrefundable deposits, but when you book on board you have 30 days to make changes without penalty. That does not exist when you book elsewhere, as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

30 days is really not a selling point for me. I will only book if I have the opportunity to cancel up to the final payment date. I know they changed something about not getting the OBC on the current sailing and it only being on the booked sailing, and maybe that makes less restrictions in cancelling. I have not went back to check since the changes. Actually, I really only thought the original plan looked good for the instant on board credit. Then I realized the restrictions, and would not do it.

The restriction of being non refundable due to the onboard credit. I have never booked a sailing that was non refundable with RCI/CCL up to the final payment date.

Unless you are booking a suite you can still book a refundable rate whether on board or ashore

Yeah, same question. What restrictions were you able to avoid by booking elsehwere? If you book via TA or RCI you don't get the onboard credit, which could run as high as $300 or more, depending on cabin. Therefore, I don't know why you think it's a better value. Besides, even when you book through a Next Cruise agent, you have 60 days to transfer the booking to your own TA. Not to mention that if the price drops before final payment, you will get the discount.

Unless you are booking a Grand Suite or better, you can still book non-refundable (albeit at a lower OBC) at the Next Cruise desk. This is no different than booking elsewhere, plus you get zero Next Cruise OBC booking elsewhere.