Are Cruise Ships Safe?

G.M.T.

Many ports do not have specific security procedures so that is not a surprise. Can't figure how they got past the ship security personnel (and this would have happened in the US as well as in Rhodes).

No cruise ships are not safe.

They can sink, they can go on fire, you could die of food poisoning, you can fall down a flight of stairs...................

Folks we live in a world full of risks, you are probably be more likely to be hurt on they way to your cruise by road and air than you are to have a life threatening incident on a cruise ship.

Terrorists and gunmen have attacked trains, planes, concert halls, supermarkets , restaurants and schools, in fact anywhere there are groups of people, but everyday we go about life and we go to these places.

An incident has happened, I am sure that the ship and port authourities have made the appropriate adjustments to make it harder to happen again, but no one can guarantee that it won't happen again.

So like crossing a road or getting in your car, you assess the risk, make a decision and either get on with life or lock yourself in a room.

I think they receive help to board the ship, but the hiding place was not adequate

I agree. Unless they climbed up the side of the ship ( unlikely),sounds like they had help. Hope they find the origin of the breach. Can't help but remember The Achille Lauro when I hear about a lack of security in gaining access to boarding a cruise ship.

I think you've got more to fear from a drunken, aggressive fare paying passenger than a stowaway, who's more intent on being unnoticed until he gets to the next port than to wreak havoc and be caught.

The stowaway is more likely to snaffle the left over burger bun you leave outside your state room door than to punch out your lights.

I think you've got more to fear from a drunken, aggressive fare paying passenger than a stowaway, who's more intent on being unnoticed until he gets to the next port than to wreak havoc and be caught.

The stowaway is more likely to snaffle the left over burger bun you leave outside your state room door than to punch out your lights.

The fact that stowaways (even if they’re harmless ) were easily able to board a cruise ship is extremely disturbing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No cruise ships are not safe.

They can sink, they can go on fire, you could die of food poisoning, you can fall down a flight of stairs...................

Folks we live in a world full of risks, you are probably be more likely to be hurt on they way to your cruise by road and air than you are to have a life threatening incident on a cruise ship.

Terrorists and gunmen have attacked trains, planes, concert halls, supermarkets , restaurants and schools, in fact anywhere there are groups of people, but everyday we go about life and we go to these places.

An incident has happened, I am sure that the ship and port authourities have made the appropriate adjustments to make it harder to happen again, but no one can guarantee that it won't happen again.

So like crossing a road or getting in your car, you assess the risk, make a decision and either get on with life or lock yourself in a room.

How I wish there was a like button for posts here on CC. I would hit it multiple times for your post. If someone wants to do something bad enough they will find a way. You simply can't go through like being afraid of everything or you will experience nothing.

Can't quite recall the set up at Rhodes.

It was a great port with a scenic entry. The old city offered much history, nice shopping, great food , and very strong coffee. We felt very safe.

Greater watchfulness is required all over these days!

The fact that stowaways (even if they’re harmless ) were easily able to board a cruise ship is extremely disturbing

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are presuming it was 'easy' for them to board, when that may not have been the case, possibly with extream planning and maneuvering could have been in play here...

Detection is the key factor at this juncture AND they were detected before leaving port.

One passenger on board just indicated they knew nothing about the situation and that is the way it needed to be, quiet and expeditiously taken care of. I Am sure there is a procedure in place to look for other 'potential' stowaways before departing the port.

Also, I Am sure this is not the first ship in recent times (last 15 years or so) which has encountered such a breach and was taken care of immediately. Yes, there are exceptions, to be sure and I would argue very few unless someone can point out a sordid history of this happening.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

How I wish there was a like button for posts here on CC. I would hit it multiple times for your post. If someone wants to do something bad enough they will find a way. You simply can't go through like being afraid of everything or you will experience nothing.

I agree. This explanation was great, and I don't even think any more comments were necessary. End of discussion. lol.

I'm going to start some new threads:

Are planes safe?

Are cars safe?

Is running with scissors safe?

Is swimming after eating safe?

Are eating eggs safe?

Are elevators safe?

I need to know all these things before I get on a cruise ship!

Just saw on the news today a story about a young woman who was celebrating her first wedding anniversary, doing a culinary tour of Mexico City (a place she had been to, many times before). She and her DH were leaving an upscale restaurant, when she was struck and killed by a stray bullet (someone was trying to kill the bouncer, and missed). :(

So, yeah -- wrong place, wrong time -- STUFF happens. But, it's not going to stop me from traveling -- or cruising.

Here's the port situation in Rhodes; https://goo.gl/maps/fJy6LbHGcbv

Roam around with your mouse.

A busy road with a single fence, a relative large open space between the ship and her surroundings was the most protective layer in security. But there was almost no security taking place at the main gate to the port, so that line of defense was already lost.

With the port buildings and half kept ruins for shelter and cover right in front of the ship those two just had to cross the open dockside space before climbing on board. Who knows how long they staked out for a good chance..

As far as I know we did not replenish on anything in Rhodes so it were the rope springs or the gangway, were the gangway really seems out of the question for them.

Stuff happens. I am somehow glad some refugees actually made land, dozens of them drown in the Med each day while we complain about [insert anything on board] a few miles away on the same waters. But that's another discussion. :)

No one has mentioned it but I find the title of this thread more disturbing than two people stowing away on a ship.

I, personally, thought it was a bit hysterical upon the initial read....

Oh well, just how I write or read or comprehend.

bon voyage

I, personally, thought it was a bit hysterical upon the initial read....

Oh well, just how I write or read or comprehend.

bon voyage

I read the thread title and thought about replying "No. They can be very addictive....".

I'm not in the least bit concerned about having future cruises affected by stowaways. I kind of pity anyone who feels "extremely disturbed" by this situation. One of us could get hit on the back of the head by a falling meteorite tomorrow. I don't worry about that either! :D

Well done to the staff who saw them and acted accordingly.

I read the thread title and thought about replying "No. They can be very addictive....".

I'm not in the least bit concerned about having future cruises affected by stowaways. I kind of pity anyone who feels "extremely disturbed" by this situation. One of us could get hit on the back of the head by a falling meteorite tomorrow. I don't worry about that either! :D

Well done to the staff who saw them and acted accordingly.

Can be??? Heck, cruising is like a very bad drug habit for me.... LOL

My spouse gets this knotty feeling in the stomach when I Am out of sight for 45+ minutes.... not knowing what I may have booked or if in fact I did book...

Good thing we are booked through 2021... no more surprizes!

bon voyage

No one has mentioned it but I find the title of this thread more disturbing than two people stowing away on a ship.

It's somewhat like the "news" these days. Just say something/anything that will grab peoples attention. I think the OP accomplished that.