Unplugging electronics

Medtech2

We were on the Jade in Dec 2017. I had phone plugged in, e-cigarettes plugged in and the camera plugged in. NONE were unplugged during our 10 day cruise to Panama. Have another NCL Pearl scheduled for Nov and plan on the same course of action.

Don't count on it. Our last Pearl cruise, we were given the notice and an item I had forgotten to unplug before leaving the cabin was unplugged for me. I tried to remember after that.

There are no electronics I (or most anyone else) really need to keep constantly plugged in on a cruise.

1) E-reader. Charge before leaving and it lasts the entire duration.

2) Cell phone - useless at sea. It gets turned off and put in the safe. Charged overnight the last night of the cruise.

3) Camera. Can be charged overnight.

Our 9 y.o. kids have to leave electronics at home. Getting away is for getting away.

Please stop the preaching from those who leave their electronics behind to those of us who have needs or requirements.

My phone is used to check the ship schedules, message my family, and be reachable for my family at home and work as I am an executive who has to be reachable. And it's my camera. And that means I have to charge it 2 or 3 times every 24 hours. Yes, it's tricky to manage during daytimes. I carry a battery pack that has enough to deliver a full charge and recharge that at night.

Please stop the preaching from those who leave their electronics behind to those of us who have needs or requirements.

My phone is used to check the ship schedules, message my family, and be reachable for my family at home and work as I am an executive who has to be reachable. And it's my camera. And that means I have to charge it 2 or 3 times every 24 hours. Yes, it's tricky to manage during daytimes. I carry a battery pack that has enough to deliver a full charge and recharge that at night.

Not to preach, but you simply can't check the ship schedules, message your family, be reachable to family at home and/or work, or take pictures if your phone is plugged in inside your cabin and you are elsewhere.

Not to preach, but you simply can't check the ship schedules, message your family, be reachable to family at home and/or work, or take pictures if your phone is plugged in inside your cabin and you are elsewhere.
Your statement is correct but it's off point. PelicanBill never said he left his phone to charge when not in the room.

PelicanBill was addressing the bigger issue that has become typical in these forums, someone asks a question and others jump in with statements that not only don't answer the question, but get all preachy about why the question is irrelevant. I agree, people need to stop doing that.

I have sailed both the Excape and Epic. Just got off Epic. Neither cruise had anything unplugged...Ipad, Cellphone, Blowdryer, Heating pad, I even had an extension cord plugged in...nothing ever got unplugged. It is company policy though, so don't count on it...get your sh$% charged while you can.

Your statement is correct but it's off point. PelicanBill never said he left his phone to charge when not in the room.

PelicanBill was addressing the bigger issue that has become typical in these forums, someone asks a question and others jump in with statements that not only don't answer the question, but get all preachy about why the question is irrelevant. I agree, people need to stop doing that.

How do you figure it is off point. The whole premise (IOW, the point) here is people leaving items plugged in to charge when they are not in the cabin. PelicanBill didn't have to say he wasn't in the room. If you are in the room, this policy does not apply and your experience wouldn't be relevant to the topic. If you are out of the room, then the comment is on topic and is on point.

What a troll. If you can't answer the OP's question then keep your words to yourself and move on.

To the OP, in my experience, our room stewards have generally not unplugged anything. That being said, the plugs will not have power if you don't put your room key in the slot, so, that effectively turns them off. If you leave something in the slot when you leave the room, my experience is they will take that something out of the slot.

I think you are over-reacting.

Aaaah, I had forgotten about those pesky Samsung’s, which explains this somewhat new rule. I haven’t been on NCL since 2016.

Mostly I tend to take a lot of pictures with a regular digital camera and that is what I worry about recharging. I’d rather do my own unplugging so I’ll be careful. I don’t leave the toaster plugged in at home. Just another habit to cultivate....

Have been on many ships....e cigs, ipads, cell phones, laptops etc. all left plugged in and never had anything unplugged. No flaming please.....just did not know that it may be an issue? But will try to do better going forward....as I guess it only takes a bit of planning? Of course I am more concerned about safety but was never told not to leave things charging. And if it appeared in the "Daily" whatever....I rarely read those as they seem NOT to have changed in the past 10 years or so.......But will ask the Concierge and Butler in two months on our next cruise.

What a troll. If you can't answer the OP's question then keep your words to yourself and move on.

To the OP, in my experience, our room stewards have generally not unplugged anything. That being said, the plugs will not have power if you don't put your room key in the slot, so, that effectively turns them off. If you leave something in the slot when you leave the room, my experience is they will take that something out of the slot.

What is a troll ?

I did answer the question .People are preoccupied with social media . I was born in the last century and lived most of my life before all these electronic things and quite happily.

Have been on many ships....e cigs, ipads, cell phones, laptops etc. all left plugged in and never had anything unplugged. No flaming please.....just did not know that it may be an issue? But will try to do better going forward....as I guess it only takes a bit of planning? Of course I am more concerned about safety but was never told not to leave things charging. And if it appeared in the "Daily" whatever....I rarely read those as they seem NOT to have changed in the past 10 years or so.......But will ask the Concierge and Butler in two months on our next cruise.

I have been on two NCL cruises so far and on both they also mentioned not leaving things plugged in during the muster drill. But I don't know how new that is, as my first cruise was in February of this year. Also, I think the fact that you need to insert a keycard to power the outlets on the newer ships is a sign they don't want things left powered/charging in the room when no one is "home".

I have been on two NCL cruises so far and on both they also mentioned not leaving things plugged in during the muster drill. But I don't know how new that is, as my first cruise was in February of this year. Also, I think the fact that you need to insert a keycard to power the outlets on the newer ships is a sign they don't want things left powered/charging in the room when no one is "home".

Our last cruise was on the Jewel and the steward unplugged our adapters rather than touching my phone (I had left it on the charger unintentionally, and when I returned to get it noticed the adapter was unplugged). The batteries we use are lithium ion and while they are generally safe, they can catch on fire in any device. It's rare, but there have been millions of batteries recalled by companies like Apple, Dell and HP as well as the after-market battery vendors. So I understand this caution on the part of NCL.

What is a troll ?

I did answer the question .People are preoccupied with social media . I was born in the last century and lived most of my life before all these electronic things and quite happily.

The question that was asked was "Anyone have actual experience with this?", referring to unplugging electronics. If you were actually answering the question, you would have said simply "no" or perhaps, "no, I don't have any electronics". Both of those answers of course add nothing to the post, they don't help the OP.

But for you to then add "Why would I need any", especially when the OP specifically and only mentioned his camera, implies there is no need to have any electronics. Your later post, quoted above mentioning preoccupation with social media, affirms what you were implying.

troll

trōl/

noun

noun: troll; plural noun: trolls

a person who makes a deliberately offensive or provocative online post.

While not offensive at all, your post certainly was meant to provoke thoughts and discussion of the overuse of electronics which was not addressing the OPs question. Had the OP said, "I understand I can't leave my electronics plugged in, do I need any electronics on the cruise?", then your reply would have been on topic and not consider a troll post.

Troll posts tend to take posts off topic and diminish the usefulness of online forums and discussions and should be discouraged. Active moderators will delete them and delete posts like mine calling them out.

lenquixote66 - I hope this was helpful to you.

I can tell you that they are covering a lot more in the muster than before. June of this year vs. late 2016 and all prior muster was at least double in length covering all sorts of things.

I can tell you that they are covering a lot more in the muster than before. June of this year vs. late 2016 and all prior muster was at least double in length covering all sorts of things.

Yup, it's getting beyond ridiculous. Wasting our vacation time with tips like not slipping on the wet decks, washing behind our ears etc.

Then if you really want to be annoyed repeating the spiel in 4 additional languages. Try standing out in the hot sun on the Sun while they babble away.

The question that was asked was "Anyone have actual experience with this?", referring to unplugging electronics. If you were actually answering the question, you would have said simply "no" or perhaps, "no, I don't have any electronics". Both of those answers of course add nothing to the post, they don't help the OP.

But for you to then add "Why would I need any", especially when the OP specifically and only mentioned his camera, implies there is no need to have any electronics. Your later post, quoted above mentioning preoccupation with social media, affirms what you were implying.

troll

trōl/

noun

While not offensive at all, your post certainly was meant to provoke thoughts and discussion of the overuse of electronics which was not addressing the OPs question. Had the OP said, "I understand I can't leave my electronics plugged in, do I need any electronics on the cruise?", then your reply would have been on topic and not consider a troll post.

Troll posts tend to take posts off topic and diminish the usefulness of online forums and discussions and should be discouraged. Active moderators will delete them and delete posts like mine calling them out.

lenquixote66 - I hope this was helpful to you.

Sheesh... angry some?

troll

trōl/

noun

Thanks for the definition. I thought a troll was an ugly little creature that lives under a bridge in a fairy tale.

(Sorry just could not help myself;p )

BTW I get the offensive part and the highjacking of a thread, but if everyone stayed exactly on topic, CC would not be near as interesting. These posts often go like conversations people have. And to bring it back to the topic: I have not had the experience of having my electronics unplugged. The only electronic I have is a phone/camera and I charge it up overnight.

Edited by Seminole1975