Two Q's from a new Diamond member

1. So, yes I plan on tipping per each drink in the DL or when using vouchers. My question is, do you tip when placing your order or when receiving your drink?

2. When I was Emerald I was able to select (pre - cruise) if we wanted water or soda for some sort of gift. At one time, I read once Diamond? you could select a small bottle of wine. Is this still true or not any longer. Are the choices just water or soda?

TIA

As far as I have seen, tip when you receive.

And yes, your gift preferences have changed. Last I have checked, there was an error on the website where you can choose your gifts, so you may have to call in.

You can tip as you wish. We do what you are suggesting. Tip when we receive our drinks.

Yes, we agree. In the lounge or at a bar, we tip the server when we receive the drinks. We also usually go to the same bar pre-dinner, so the servers get to know us and our preferences. And we get to know them too, of course.

Pat

I don't think Diamond members can select wine as a gift. Here is detail on website. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members will receive welcome waters & a snack (“welcome amenity”) on day one of their sailing. These items will be placed in the guest’s stateroom. In addition, Emerald, Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members can go online to http://www.RoyalCaribbean. com/UpgradePreferences or call one of our Loyalty Representatives (http://www.RoyalCaribbean.com/ContactLoyalty) in their local offices to preselect from a list of beverages to be included with their welcome waters & snack. One beverage can be selected per guest 18 years of age or older. Preferences must be entered or updated for your upcoming cruise vacation up to 5 days before a US based sailing and 7 days for an internationally based sailing. The beverage selection list for Emerald and Diamond members will include water,juice and soda items. In addition to the previous list Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members can select from a more expanded list of beverages. If a guest has not selected an item then bottled water will be sent to the stateroom. House alcoholic brands may be substituted or changed, and are subject to availability.

We tip $1 a drink when we get a drink in the DL. At the end of the week, we tip the server that most often serves us an additional $10-$20 depending on how often we drink in the DL.

After the first night where one waiter usually serves us, when he sees up coming into the lounge, he makes our drinks and brings them to us. We do have others serve here and there, but somehow I think the servers know if someone is a regular and has that server bring the drinks.

This has worked out well for us.

1. So, yes I plan on tipping per each drink in the DL or when using vouchers. My question is, do you tip when placing your order or when receiving your drink?

2. When I was Emerald I was able to select (pre - cruise) if we wanted water or soda for some sort of gift. At one time, I read once Diamond? you could select a small bottle of wine. Is this still true or not any longer. Are the choices just water or soda?

TIA

The little bottle of wine is long gone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s such a hassle to have to call in to verify/change your welcome gift when you used to be able to do it yourself.

That being said, I’ve had the same particular wine selected as my diamond plus gift for probably my last 6 cruises but except for one cruise which was the 2nd of a b2b, I’ve never had the correct wine in my room. We’ll see what happens on my next cruise in 3 weeks.

My husband and I are diamond members, and booked (through RC) three cabins to bring our 3 grown grand-kids on the 9-day Grandeur of the Seas. Once onboard (just three weeks ago) we were pleasantly stunned to find two of the cabins had a complimentary bottle of wine and fruit plate in them. None of these had been requested and this was a first for us. Do you think it was because of booking three rooms?

It’s such a hassle to have to call in to verify/change your welcome gift when you used to be able to do it yourself.

That being said, I’ve had the same particular wine selected as my diamond plus gift for probably my last 6 cruises but except for one cruise which was the 2nd of a b2b, I’ve never had the correct wine in my room. We’ll see what happens on my next cruise in 3 weeks.

You can have the LA fix your preferences while aboard.

You can have the LA fix your preferences while aboard.

Exactly what I’ve ended up doing on almost every cruise. I’d prefer getting in my room and immediately opening my wine, which is what’s supposed to be able to happen.

It’s actually correct on line which is why it makes no sense that it gets screwed up on most of my cruises.

I'm a bit different when tipping. I don't like carrying cash around. There are usually 2 servers in the DL. On day 2 or 3 I'll tip either the one who has always served me, or both if both serve me $10 or so each. Then later in the cruise another $10 and then more at the end depending on service, etc. But that's just me.

We're newly Diamond (via Celebrity) too.

Is that what most people do? Tip after each drink? In the lounges and bars? :confused: I usually don't carry much $$ around on the ship, but I guess I'll have to.

Not in the DL but you can get a receipt to add a tip at any other bar (I think).;)

ok, good to know this. We will probably be picking up our diamond drinks from a bar near the dining room. Thank you!

We're newly Diamond (via Celebrity) too.

Is that what most people do? Tip after each drink? In the lounges and bars? :confused: I usually don't carry much $$ around on the ship, but I guess I'll have to.

Hard to say what most people do. I know that some tip at the end of the cruise. However, sometimes the staff changes, so we like to tip each drink.

Is that what most people do? Tip after each drink? In the lounges and bars? :confused:

My understanding is that gratuities are included for drinks you pay for. Question asked by OP who started this thread relates to complementary drinks served in DL during happy hour.

With regards to what most people do in DL, it might depend on the cruise and demographics.

My understanding is that gratuities are included for drinks you pay for. Question asked by OP who started this thread relates to complementary drinks served in DL during happy hour.

With regards to what most people do in DL, it might depend on the cruise and demographics.

Yes, my question had to do with both the Diamond Lounge and also the drinks loaded onto our cards that we might get outside of the lounge …..not purchased.

We tip $1 per drink in the DL or CL when they are served. If we use our C&A drinks at a bar we also tip $1 when we hand the card to the server. I have no idea if this is true, but we were told that all bar service tips added to a receipt are pooled. Cash stays in their pocket. It really doesn't matter to us it's still a dollar either way.