CBD oil

kmc51533

8 hours ago, clo said:

I just did some reading and found out that about 15 years ago border patrol was merged into immigration.  So that was the confusion on both sides.  And, yes, I fly far more than I will ever cruise and am aware that TSA is for flying within or out of the US.

And yet, this still doesn't cover your confusion, since neither border patrol, nor immigration cares what you bring into the country, that is Customs, which was also merged with Border Patrol and Immigration.

13 hours ago, clo said:

I just did some reading and found out that about 15 years ago border patrol was merged into immigration.  So that was the confusion on both sides.  And, yes, I fly far more than I will ever cruise and am aware that TSA is for flying within or out of the US.

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

And yet, this still doesn't cover your confusion, since neither border patrol, nor immigration cares what you bring into the country, that is Customs, which was also merged with Border Patrol and Immigration.

To be completely accurate, while Border Patrol became part of US Customs and Border Protection post 9/11, it still operates as a separate unit within CBP . Border Patrol actually still does patrol the border, as opposed to the "regular" CBP agents, who are responsible for ports of entry. Border Patrol agents wear different uniforms than CBP agents who work at ports of entry, and the arm patches on their uniforms identify them specifically as Border Patrol.

Here's the exact statement of the Border Patrol's responsibilities from the CBP website:

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/along-us-borders

"The Border Patrol is specifically responsible for patrolling the 6,000 miles of Mexican and Canadian international land borders and 2,000 miles of coastal waters surrounding the Florida Peninsula and the island of Puerto Rico. "

I should add that there is also ICE, Immigration and Customs Enforcement,  a completely separate division of the Department of Homeland Security that also has responsibilities augmenting those of CBP: https://www.ice.gov/about

Edited by njhorseman
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Oh, sheesh, I can't believe I fell for this 🙂  Thanks.

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Out of curiosity if the CBD is prescribed by a doctor and you have maybe a letter or perscription with you does that not help in anyway with border/customs or whoever is suppose to deal with this?

Without trying to explain all the details, laws in the US are a mess with some products being legal under federal law but possibly not under state law and some products being legal in certain states but illegal under federal law. No one can really say what might or might not make it past customs, which is a federal function, but at the time you're entering the US you're also entering a particular state. This article has a decent summary of the legalities:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/us/cbd-cannabis-marijuana-hemp.html

3 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Out of curiosity if the CBD is prescribed by a doctor and you have maybe a letter or perscription with you does that not help in anyway with border/customs or whoever is suppose to deal with this?

No, it does not help because as long as it is illegally federally, it cannot cross state borders.  

18 hours ago, clo said:

And, yes, I fly far more than I will ever cruise and am aware that TSA is for flying within or out of the US.

The T in TSA stands for Transportation, not Airport.  While most people liken them to airports because that's the only place they ever see them, TSA can work any transportation facility.  I've seen them working alongside USCG many times in commercial ports.  

That said, their job is transportation safety.  It is Customs (CBP) that one must clear and who would be interested in drugs carried by the passenger.  

Edited by Aquahound

10 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

It is Customs (CBP) that one must clear and who would be interested in drugs carried by the passenger.  

It no longer amazes me that even people on this site still get Customs and Immigration confused.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:42 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

So if you keep quiet and get away with it, it's OK?    But it doesn't matter as the question is moot being a year old thread that the OP never returned to....

Maybe he is not out of jail yet.  LOL!!

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Maybe he is not out of jail yet.  LOL!!

DON

With things regarding CBD and THC changing so rapidly in the US and other countries, a year isn't a lot of time.

4 hours ago, Aquahound said:

No, it does not help because as long as it is illegally federally, it cannot cross state borders.  

Once the Farm Bill of 2018 became law, CBD products produced from hemp became legal at the federal level and hemp was no longer a Schedule narcotic. Marijuana, which typically contains far more THC than hemp is still a Schedule I narcotic, hence CBD products derived from marijuana are still illegal under federal law. The article I cited in  my previous post explains the jumbled mess of what's legal and illegal at the state and federal levels...not all of which is crystal-clear as of now.

4 hours ago, clo said:

It no longer amazes me that even people on this site still get Customs and Immigration confused.

Customs and immigration are two separate processes, but in the US at ports of entry (land, air and water) they are both under the jurisdiction of US Customs and Border Protection and US CBP officers handle both...although not always at the same time. For example If you're on a cruise that has called a foreign country you would normally clear immigration at your first port call in the US but if that is not the final US port of call you wouldn't clear customs until the final disembarkation port. The reason you don't clear customs until the end of the cruise is because you still would have the opportunity to make purchases in the ship's on board shops  between the time of your first US port call and final US port call, and those purchases might put you over the duty free allowances.

• Thanks 1

On 8/24/2019 at 6:03 AM, clo said:

I go through TSA, get on an airplane and fly to another country where I embark on my cruise which also ends in another country. Then I either continue my trip or fly back to the US.  Get it?

Yes, and when you fly back, you are subject to immigration and customs.  That is what you have to worry.  From a US side.

Of course, when you fly out of the US, you could have issues at the other end when you land in a foreign country, with an illegal or controlled substance.

• 1 month later...
On 7/23/2019 at 5:42 AM, leaveitallbehind said:

So if you keep quiet and get away with it, it's OK?    But it doesn't matter as the question is moot being a year old thread that the OP never returned to....

Maybe the OP was too high to remember to reply.

DON

• Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

Maybe the OP was too high to remember to reply.

DON

Don, your ignorance is showing.

First if all, the OP was asking about her boyfriend, not herself.

Secondly, you don't get high from CBD. You need to learn the difference between CBD and THC.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mom says said:

Don, your ignorance is showing.

First if all, the OP was asking about her boyfriend, not herself.

Secondly, you don't get high from CBD. You need to learn the difference between CBD and THC.

.....I'm fairly certain he just meant it as a joke, based on the time lapse between the OP's first post and the timeline of the more recent responses - not as serious medicinal commentary.  Geeze...

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1