Service charge ending!

Prefdavid

Some pax call the Headliners, the 'Headbangers' after being on 4 P&O UK ships, Arcadia x 2, Aurora and Oriana, I know why, the noise does me head in sometimes.:loudcry:
We went into Havana lounge to see Nyo King who sang Whitney Houston songs rather than see the headliners.

She was excellent.

I wear earplugs for most theatre trips on land, so no different on board.

If I am enjoying myself, I am likely to clap and sing along. If someone tries to 'enforce' that, I will sit on my hands and look po-faced!

I love the GB Sailaway, will wave my little flag and sing 'Land of Hope and Glory' etc. Why not? Other countries are able to hold national celebrations, I bet all the GB SAs put together in a year don't rival St Patrick's Day celebrations outwith Ireland!

Great news about the gratuities, alas we are going in March on Brittania......but good news as we are going on Ventura in September 2019.

On a slightly different subject, my wife hasn't stopped complaining as the post cards we asked to be sent on the Ventura in June haven't arrived yet. Is this a common problem.

I don't think it's being a grump for not liking this rather old fashioned sailaway. After you have been to one, it's very samey and I would just like them to get a bit more upmarket and modern and I am 71!!

Most of the Headliner stuff in the theatre is OK, soundwise, but when they do a show in the Pacific Lounge it is deafening. Then we went to the theatre to see a girl and two guys singing. The first night we saw them, they were fine. We went to the second performance and yes, we left - absolutely deafening. I can only assume the rest of the passengers wear deaf aids and turn them down. We were not the only ones to leave with fingers in ears. It is definitely to do with the sound people. Some get it right, some do not.

Great British Sailaways I can take or leave but they can be fun at times - preferably when there are no other ships alongside!

I agree about the volume levels. Generally, Headliner shows in the theatre are at a reasonable level but some of the guest artists are over-amplified to a painful level. At least sets in the lounges & bars are generally okay - on Marella Discovery 2 in January I had to leave the Live Lounge on three occasions due to the ear-splitting volume levels.

Christine Noble was indeed very professional but could come across a little dour imho. Neil Oliver I always found to be excellent but he is never on the smaller ships now so I don't know whether he has changed his style into a hi-de-hi performance. I must say however that the (stand-in) CD and Assistant CD on Marella made all the P&O CDs look uber-sophisticated!

Maybe Jean. The Live Lounge was like nothing I have ever experienced on any other cruise line. The venue is a bar/lounge/night-club featuring a lot of live bands/musicians. Even at its quietest you had to shout to the person immediately next to you for them to be able to hear you.

Not just P&O then Andrew! Must be a modern thing to have everything at those decibels.

It would be interesting to know the Decibel level in the theatre at times. Would be amusing if it were discovered to be at a level that ear defenders would be required in the work place!

Selbourne - yes - I absolutely hate the Hi di Hi stuff. It's awful. How about "is there anybody in from Liverpool?" Drives me nuts. Clapping hands is another thing - everybody wave! Grrr. Am I part of the entertainment - no!!

I don't think you'll like Cruise Director Giovanni much. At the chef's parade on Azura last week he was asking us to clap and was shouting (in time with the music) "Clap, clap, clap....!"

We avoided the Great British sailaway as after 15 years we've got a bit bored with the same format and music (The Proclaimers "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" for Scotland, Tom Jones "Delilah" for Wales etc.).

I don't think you'll like Cruise Director Giovanni much. At the chef's parade on Azura last week he was asking us to clap and was shouting (in time with the music) "Clap, clap, clap....!"

We avoided the Great British sailaway as after 15 years we've got a bit bored with the same format and music (The Proclaimers "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" for Scotland, Tom Jones "Delilah" for Wales etc.).

Sounds like the CD has come from Princess. Now if you want cringeworthy you should try their chefs parade. Lasts about 20 minutes and you are encouraged to make more noise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Somebody must have given them this idea that we like to clap and be as loud as possible.

It seems to be life in general now Jean. Any TV shows involving public participation seem to be incredibly loud. In Sport, Athletes and swimmers appear to pyrotechnics and sometimes music. Even Diving Championships seem to have music & lighting effects in between each dive!

Sounds like the CD has come from Princess. Now if you want cringeworthy you should try their chefs parade. Lasts about 20 minutes and you are encouraged to make more noise.

Seen lots of those on P&O and RCCL.

Credit to the chefs and waiters as they look as they enjoy them.

Being mostly a Princess Cruiser, when I travelled with P&O UK and Cunard, my napkin waving in the MDR was not appreciated by some, judging from the stares, but I did it anyway.:halo: Get in the spirit.:hearteyes: The Chefs and Waiters should be applauded. The Parade of the Chefs is their moment of glory and well deserved.

I feel that P&O should ask me what items on the entertainment schedule that I am unlikely to use or that I disapprove of and remove them from my next cruise.

They should be aware that my tastes are paramount when I am on a cruise and nobody else matters thank you:halo:

I feel that P&O should ask me what items on the entertainment schedule that I am unlikely to use or that I disapprove of and remove them from my next cruise.

They should be aware that my tastes are paramount when I am on a cruise and nobody else matters thank you:halo:

Love it

Tailor made cruises, now there's a good idea.:halo:

Being mostly a Princess Cruiser, when I travelled with P&O UK and Cunard, my napkin waving in the MDR was not appreciated by some, judging from the stares, but I did it anyway.:halo: Get in the spirit.:hearteyes: The Chefs and Waiters should be applauded. The Parade of the Chefs is their moment of glory and well deserved.

There was a few years when napkin waving was actively discouraged due to perceived danger of spreading bugs. That has now been relaxed. So you won't get stared at if you return to P&O.